Honeymoon Discussions
Options

We decided on Jamaica..any suggestions

My fiance and I took a while to figure out where we want to go on our honeymoon but decided on Jamaica....any suggestions on what we should see while we're there?? We like to sit on the beach but we want to spend at least a couple of days doing excursions.

Re: We decided on Jamaica..any suggestions

• Options
    Did you chose the hotel yet? Which side of Jamaica- Negril or Ochos Rios?

• Options
    We are staying and getting married at Ocho Rios, Jamaica. Were getting married at Sandals all inclusive resort, so I think we will spend most of our time at the resort. We may go on a shopping trip for souvenirs, or do one of the excursions that you can book through the resort.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Don't drink the water.

And remember, everything is negotiable.
  • Options
    It is very touristy, but DH and I really enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls.  Just make sure you try to do it on a day where there are no (or few) cruise ships in port.  Also keep in mind that some cruisers will book the tour from Falmouth so look at that schedule as well as Ocho Rios...  But that goes for ANY off resort excursion you decide to do.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker

Definitely climb Dunn's River Falls.  Bring your own water shoes for this or they will make you rent some (ewwww)

If you can get to Negril . . .the sunset bar with the cliff diving (Rick's? ) is fun too.

There is a Margaritaville with water toys.

There's also a lazy river where you can go tubing / rafting. 

• Options
    Go sailing.  We stayed at Couples Tower Isle.  They set us up on a sailing trip.  The crew brought rum punch, we got to anchor and swim in a cove...it was fantastic.  Too bad you're already booked--I loved Couples Tower Isle.  Great food and staff, strong drinks, a boat to take you out to your own private island.  Fantastic.
  • Options
    H and I went to Jamaica about 6 years ago.  We stayed at the Riu in Ocho Rios, which is next to the Jewel Dunn's River Resort.  It is not an adults-only resort, but I don't remember there being many kids around.  We went with another couple and had an awesome time. 

We booked an excursion to Dunn's River Falls at the hotel, which included snorkeling and a party on the boat (after the climb).  The day that we went happened to be Jamaican Independence Day (sometime in early August), so the falls were especially crowded.  

I second PP's suggestion to bring your own water shoes.  We each got a pair for under $10 before we left, and then just left threw them out before we came back. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    We did choose the hotel, we're gonna be staying at the new Riu Palace in Montego Bay.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    We did choose the hotel, we're gonna be staying at the new Riu Palace in Montego Bay.

I am also considering that resort for our honeymoon, which won't be until November.  When are you going?  I'd love to hear what you thought about it!
  • Options
    Bigm1056 said:
    jenna8984 said:

I am also considering that resort for our honeymoon, which won't be until November.  When are you going?  I'd love to hear what you thought about it!
    We're going in June of next year. I'll make sure to post a review when I get back but the travel agent we went through was really blunt about all the hotels we asked about and she said this one was amazing. I've stayed at a Riu in Punta Cana and it was amazing, food was great and the staff was always very pleasant. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you have everything you need. Our sunscreen was an aerosol can which broke and the same sunscreen that cost us $8 here was $35 there. Also, when you go to dinner men can't wear shorts so make sure that your FI has some pants and a few button downs.
  • Options
    Bigm1056 said:
    jenna8984 said:

We're going in June of next year. I'll make sure to post a review when I get back but the travel agent we went through was really blunt about all the hotels we asked about and she said this one was amazing. I've stayed at a Riu in Punta Cana and it was amazing, food was great and the staff was always very pleasant. The only thing I would suggest is make sure you have everything you need. Our sunscreen was an aerosol can which broke and the same sunscreen that cost us $8 here was $35 there. Also, when you go to dinner men can't wear shorts so make sure that your FI has some pants and a few button downs.
    That is awesome!  We stayed at the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana it really looks like actual perfection!  How was the beach at the Riu?  I remember picking up other people on the trip back to the hotel and thinking holy crap this place looks super nice when we stopped there.  I am an extra packer, and a list maker and checker so hopefully that works out in my favor!
  • Options

That is awesome!  We stayed at the Grand Palladium in Punta Cana it really looks like actual perfection!  How was the beach at the Riu?  I remember picking up other people on the trip back to the hotel and thinking holy crap this place looks super nice when we stopped there.  I am an extra packer, and a list maker and checker so hopefully that works out in my favor!
    The beach was amazing. There was always plenty of chairs available and there was some reef so my FI could enjoy snorkeling but it was mostly sand. I get bored on the beach easily when I'm at home but I loved being on the beach all day there.
  • Options
    AprilH81 said:
    It is very touristy, but DH and I really enjoyed climbing Dunn's River Falls.  Just make sure you try to do it on a day where there are no (or few) cruise ships in port.  Also keep in mind that some cruisers will book the tour from Falmouth so look at that schedule as well as Ocho Rios...  But that goes for ANY off resort excursion you decide to do.
    Totally agree here - I loved climbing Dunn's River. You climb with a big chain of people but it's so much fun, and the water is so refreshing.

I will say that if you are in anyway arachnaphobic, you may want to think twice. Maybe it was just when I was there (March), but the trees that overhang the little resort that the falls are located in were literally dripping in massive spiders. I had a minor panic attack and was really paranoid about it... but still had fun!
  • Options
    @mellyD2014 . . . We are considering going to Dunn's River Falls during our 'Weddingmoon' in May at Sandals. How many hours does that tour last. We are considering leaving the resort maybe once as we figure we are already paying enough for our all inclusive experience. I am not sure I want to do something that takes up the whole day that may require us to spend more/tip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We are going to Jamaica too. We're staying at Couples- Swept Away (Negril) in November. Heard good reviews about it, like booze cruizes are included and you can learn to scuba dive. I can't wait to go! :) Have any of you been there?

• Options
    @futuremrsk515 - We hit it up on a cruise stop, so I don't think the falls climb took more than maybe 4 hours tops. It's definitely not an all-day event!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards