Not Engaged Yet

Isms about where you live

Re: Isms about where you live

• I'll do CA even though I am in South Texas now @weewittlewizabeth I will have to respectfully disagree on the best Mexican food.  I have yet to find decent Mexican food here and "sauce" is apparently a food group.

N California (I'll leave SOCAL for one of those gals if they happen to pop in)

1. We say Hella

2. Wine.  that is all

3. You are either a Giants/Raiders fan or you are an A's/Niner's fan.  You cannot be a fan of teams on the same side of the Bay.

4.  SF is one of THE most diverse places I have ever been

5. The southbay is oozing with hipster .comers

6. recycle recycle recycle

7. You can go from skiing in the mountains to the ocean in a couple hours

8. You pretty much have to make 6 figures to even THINK about buying property.

9. It's soda and water fountain and the weather is pretty much 65-70 year round.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • NJ: We all belong on Jersey shore (not) - we really do tell people where we live based on "what exit are you from?" - We say bagel, orange, drawer, and several other words like water funny - we have SO MUCH Jersey pride (I have NEVER lived in a state that had more.)  Pizza and bagels can cause orgasms (at least you'd think that based on a true Jerseyan's descriptions of them)

then I moved to FL at 13

FL: This is the most melting pot of all the states ever.  There are super southern/hick areas, super rich affluent areas, areas that English is a second language (if that), areas that are just farms.  There are more people from NJ/NY/CT here than anyone (I'm not even kidding about this) so you hear crazy accents all over.  The pizza here stinks.

then I went to PA at 22

PA: these people cannot drive at all.  I still move away from them if I'm driving.  Come to realize that DE apparently has even WORSE stereotypes of driving than PA.  It's dangerous lol.  There are deer everywhere, so even after you haven't lived in PA for 4+ years you're still paranoid there will be deer on the road at dusk.

then I went to VA at like 24

VA: VA is pretty neat.  Lots of history and tons of diversity if you are in hampton roads or the DC area.  Outside of those areas, it's basically farm country with some colleges thrown in.  There's moonshine in some parts.  And it's gorgeous in the fall.  And the spring.  And the winter.  And likely summer as well.  There are a zillion jellyfish in the Atlantic during the summer.

Now back to FL...
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • One more about the South:

- Women don't like to aknowledge that they have bodily functions.

• @Pepperally- haha not 100% true. Some us like myself and @Lapeanut1018 talk about poop and bodily functions constantly haha but there are some women who would think it would be the end of the world if someone knew they pooped. I'm more like, "yes!! I went poop this morning!"
  • @southernpeach89 my whole family is more like you and @lapeanut1018 lol.  we're always talking about bodily functions.  But we are also NOT southerners by any stretch of the imagination ...

Not that NJans are known for talking about poop but I mean, we're definitely known for being more open (and loud) with people we know and love.  We kinda ignore those that we don't know for the most part.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    phira said:
    How is "duck, duck, gray duck" an effective way to play?!
    What the hell is "duck, duck, grey duck?"

SITB:
    Seriously, that is what Minnesota thinks is the right way to play Duck Duck Goose!! Ridiculous!  I grew up in Wisconsin and am now surrounded by people who think I'M WRONG!  I don't even understand the concept of a grey duck.  Goose is obviously the odd one out..

• Northern VA/DC (Northern VA is considered to be more DC than Virginia):
    We're mother effing awesome at everything we do. Boom.
    We all have rentals at Bethany in DE (and spend most weekends there).
    There are tons of latinos! WE'RE TAKING OVER!
    The little latino guy pushing the freezer cart with the fruit flavored pops and the little bell, is a sign that summer is here.
    After spending all night bar hopping in Clarendon, we all head to the Silver Diner at 3am to pack on a stack of pancakes.
    Anyone that goes to The Park on 14th is a giant douchey douche canoe.
    Our shopping mall is a tourist attraction. No really...people take tour buses from out of state just to come shopping here. And the locals loathe the damn place.
    No matter where you are in NOVA, you're within 1 hour of both the city and the mountains/country.
    Die hard 'Skins fans living right next door to die hard Cowboys fans.
    If you stand on an escalator, you better effing stand single file to the right. Stand Right, Walk Left. We will yell "LEFT!!!!!' right behind your tourist head if you block the left. And if you stand on moving walkways we want to punch you right in the dick.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @Twodimes- I've never thought about like that before lol! Ass-splosion is about one of the funniest words I've ever encountered lol. I'm dying at my desk!
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I'll add some more for Georgia/Atlanta.

- Nearly everyone owns a truck, whether you need one or not

- These!!

imageimage

I can also say a few things about South Dakota since I lived there for the better part of 5 years.

- It's where Mount Rushmore is!

- Corn Palace (like actually made of corn...look it up!)image

- They have East River and West River. If you're from East River you're a farmer, and if you're from West River you're probably a rancher.

- South Dakota State University is all a bunch of redneck farmkids. University of South Dakota is filled with liberal yuppies.

- They all call soda pop...but we all know it's really soda.

- Sioux Falls is bigger and more populated than the state capital of Pierre.

- Pierre is pronounced like PEER and not PEE-AIR

- You'll freeze your ass off from from about December until April/early May.

- There are only two seasons in South Dakota. Winter and road construction season.

- South Dakota is better than North Dakota.

- Everyone has indoor plumbing, and they don't go to one room school houses anymore. Some kids may still ride horses to school though.

- That farmer down the road is probably a millionaire...the tractor he's riding is probably worth $400k.

- They call potatoes spuds and pronounce wash like warsh.

• TwoDimes said:
    Iowa:

1. "Knee high by 4th of July!" (referring to the height of the corn)

2. We are not the potato state (Idaho) or where Cleveland is (Ohio). People get those three states confused into what I like to call IdahOhIowa. Also, we are not Indiana.

3. We don't ALL live on farms. 

4. We don't have a pro football team, so Iowans are split between fierce Midwestern rivals: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers (the best choice OBVIOUSLY), or the Minnesota Vikings. Football is a big deal but we don't dress up for it like those silly southerners :P

5. The weather changes so quickly that it's not uncommon to have the air conditioner and heat running on the same day.

6. The State Fair is a big deal. Iowans make impressive carvings out of butter (anybody see the movie Butter?) and you can find pretty much any food fried-on-a-stick (even... a stick of butter). Apparently we have a thing for butter.

7. We list the name of the county you reside in on your licence plate, which until recently, I thought EVERY state did.
    idkkkk....ya'll sound a lot like us...:)
    Anniversary

• BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    TwoDimes said:
    Iowa:

2. We are not the potato state (Idaho) or where Cleveland is (Ohio). People get those three states confused into what I like to call IdahOhIowa. Also, we are not Indiana.

4. We don't have a pro football team, so Iowans are split between fierce Midwestern rivals: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers (the best choice OBVIOUSLY), or the Minnesota Vikings. Football is a big deal but we don't dress up for it like those silly southerners :P

5. The weather changes so quickly that it's not uncommon to have the air conditioner and heat running on the same day.

6. The State Fair is a big deal. Iowans make impressive carvings out of butter (anybody see the movie Butter?) and you can find pretty much any food fried-on-a-stick (even... a stick of butter). Apparently we have a thing for butter.

7. We list the name of the county you reside in on your licence plate, which until recently, I thought EVERY state did.
    idkkkk....ya'll sound a lot like us...:)
    A lot like Minnesota too :)
  • TwoDimes said:
    Iowa:

Ugh...another Idaho thing - we are NOT the potato state. We are the GEM state. It's totally gorgeous state but all people focus on is the damn potatoes!

• ShallowSeasShallowSeas member
    edited June 2014
    TwoDimes said:
    Iowa:

Ugh...another Idaho thing - we are NOT the potato state. We are the GEM state. It's totally gorgeous state but all people focus on is the damn potatoes!
    BECAUSE POTATOES ARE THE BEST

Anniversary

• I'll do CA even though I am in South Texas now @weewittlewizabeth I will have to respectfully disagree on the best Mexican food.  I have yet to find decent Mexican food here and "sauce" is apparently a food group.

1. We say Hella

2. Wine.  that is all

3. You are either a Giants/Raiders fan or you are an A's/Niner's fan.  You cannot be a fan of teams on the same side of the Bay.

9. It's soda and water fountain and the weather is pretty much 65-70 year round.

SoCal girl (originally from Upstate NY-everything @GoldenPenguin said is true) chiming in here. All of the bolded apply to Southern California as well! Here are others:

1. Wildfires are scarier then earthquakes.

2. Major water shortage/drought. And yet people insist on having green lawns.

3. Rain makes people freak out. Literally, they drive the wrong way and either keep doing 90 or go 10 mph on the highway. No in-between.

4. Fish Tacos. Taco Tuesdays. ANY TYPE OF TACOS.

5. Wine is extremely popular. As is beer. Beer + Tacos=Heaven.

6. Maids/Housekeepers, Gardeners, Dog Walkers/Pet Sitters, and Nannys are something that many (non-millionare) working professionals have here, and no one blinks an eye at it.

7. The beaches are mostly for tourists and surfers. Everyone else has a pool.

8. People out here drive BMW's/Mercedes/Audis, but live with 3 other roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment to afford the car.

9. The pizza here is a lie. I don't know what it is, but it is most definitely not pizza.

And most importantly of all, the apple cider tastes different out here :(. I miss the Cider and Cider Donuts from Indian Ladder Farms!!!!! Also no Stewart's coffee or ice cream :(.

• labrolabro member
    @TwoDimes Georgia does that. However, if you play a dollar extra you can have "In God We Trust" instead...ugh. South Dakota used (not sure if they still do) the first number on your license plate was a code for your county. So once you learned the numbers you kind of knew where everyone was from and then you could complain about that crazy driver from Sioux Falls.

• Now I'm sad that two people on here have had bad Tex-Mex experiences. I swear it's delicious here! But then again, I'm a native Texan. :-P

• I think it's definitely a different type of food.  the Mexican I am used to in CA are more burritos and tacos with chicken and fish or grilled meat, whole beans and no heavy sauces.  I find the food in Texas and the south in general to be very heavy.

• I think it's definitely a different type of food.  the Mexican I am used to in CA are more burritos and tacos with chicken and fish or grilled meat, whole beans and no heavy sauces.  I find the food in Texas and the south in general to be very heavy.
    LOL yep, that's accurate. Small portions don't exist here, which makes diet and exercise difficult. 

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

Also true of a lot of people with New England accents! Weird!
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • All of what @Phira and @loves2shop4shoes said. Also I'm not writing much because I am "tah-dee to the pah-tee". (That my friends is my accent. It comes out way more when I am drunk! It's funny because I live a half hour-40 minutes south of Boston but I have a heavier accent then those who live in town)
    friends tv show funy
  • evadorroughevadorrough member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2014
    If you stand on an escalator, you better effing stand single file to the right. Stand Right, Walk Left. We will yell "LEFT!!!!!' right behind your tourist head if you block the left. And if you stand on moving walkways we want to punch you right in the dick.

Oh my god, I miss this from living in DC.  People in Seattle DO NOT know how to use escalators--they just stand on them all willy-nilly, and it drives me abso-fucking-lutely nuts.
  • I'll Play!
    Virginia:
    We are either Northern or Southern depending on who you talk too
    We don't look down on West Virginia
    We constantly are hearing planes, thus learning the art of pause talking
    Virginia Tech Football you are either in or out
    People refuse to use their turn signals
    We say soda
    Virginia isn't for lovers
    Redskins is the football team (disclaimer i'm a seahawks fan)
    The weather makes no sense whats so ever
  • @loves2shop4shoes -- When I was in Chicago, everything was always 10 minutes away by car according to my GPS.  When I was there, we would hop in the car, put our destination in the GPS and the GPS would say '10 minutes away'... 30 minutes later (and probably only like 2-3 miles or traffic lights depending on our location), the GPS would still say '10 minutes away'...

@TwoDimes - you totally reminded me of this - I found it quite humerous: http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

Anniversary
  • TwoDimes said:
    @Dignity100, I've seen that buzzfeed before, and it's so funny! Especially the person who labeled Alaska as Hawaii.... WTF?!
    I wonder how many people think Alaska is an island floating in the ocean because that's how we put it on our US Maps.

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100 It would make me sad that the Brits don't know where Nebraska is (that's where I'm originally from), but I find that most Americans also don't know where Nebraska is...that makes me sad.

I'm doing Western Nebraska since that is where I grew up:
    -There is more to Nebraska than Lincoln or Omaha....it even extends past North Platte
    -We don't care if you call it soda or pop...just don't call it Coke if you don't want a Coca Cola
    -Dressing up for a wedding includes black jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat
    -You have more than one cowboy hat, one for good occasions, one for everyday
    -The churches are empty at harvest time, it's the only acceptable excuse to not go
    -Driving 30 minutes to get somewhere is a short trip; driving an hour and a half to go shopping at the mall doesn't even make a person blink
    -While everyone is a Cornhusker's fan, those in Western Nebraska are a little more ehh about it
    -The school bus ride will take you an hour and a half, and you pick up 6 people in that time
    -All the boys are out of school for the first day of deer season; a lot of girls are too
    -We all have loaded unlocked rifles in the house, I don't know one person who has been harmed or harmed someone else because of this
    -The license plates all have numbers corresponding to the county at the beginning of the license plate

• phira said:

Also true of a lot of people with New England accents! Weird!

This is also true for many in Pittsburgh.  My parents are both guilty of this!  I do it on purpose to mock the mispronunciation...like when I say Warshington instead of Washington.  People here also say that when it's icy out, that the roads are slippy...which is not a word!
  • Speaking of things that people say wrong (at least in my view).  Here in Texas when someone is saying to just throw something out they say chunk it.  Example:  oh that tomato is no good, just chunk it.  IT'S CHUCK!  CHUCK IT! /end rant

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited June 2014

I'll do CA even though I am in South Texas now @weewittlewizabeth I will have to respectfully disagree on the best Mexican food.  I have yet to find decent Mexican food here and "sauce" is apparently a food group.

1. We say Hella

2. Wine.  that is all

Hey! I'm not a hipster! I also live in the wrong zip code for that even though I am south bay.

With the exception of San Francisco, our recycling has nothing on Seattle, but I get mad at H if he puts a soda can in the garbage.

A few more (some of which are probably more bay area than NorCal):
    • We don't know how to get anywhere without taking the freeway.
    • We reference freeways by number (e.g. 880) but SoCal prefaces it with "the" (e.g. the 405).
    • Everyone knows someone in tech.
    • The HBO show "Silicon Valley" is an accurate representation of Palo Alto, but not Silicon Valley as a whole. (It also is too much like my work and stresses me out, so I can't watch it.)
    • Entire shopping centers without a single sign in English are common.
    • Traffic sucks all day. Driving times are always qualified with "depending on traffic."
    • I can get you any type of cuisine within 10 miles of my house.
    • The only people at work in a suit are either interviewing or in sales.
    • Less than 20% of your coworkers will actually be from California.
    • We don't even get up for anything less than a 4-pointer (earthquake) and laugh at the transplants who freak out over a little 3-pointer, but "duck and cover" is deeply ingrained in your psyche.

• @buddysmom80 Oh no! Binghamton is where BF is from and we'll probably just get married at his church up there :-P

I haven't spent much time there, but my BFF went to Binghamton University, and she thinks the same as you... there must be some nice places around there! :-\

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards