Snarky Brides
Options

Reddit is always good for an etiquette trainwreck snark

"Because being debt free is romantic."

Seriously, what is wrong with asking for people to repay loans you took out years ago?  It will help the happy couple start their lives together!

/s

Re: Reddit is always good for an etiquette trainwreck snark

• Options
    I love messing around on Reddit to waste time at work, but I had to stop reading the wedding pages pretty quickly. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    Ugh.

I have crazy student loan debt, but I would never ask for cash to pay it off. We have put some of our cash gifts towards ut, yes, but I sure as he'll didn't ask for it.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Seriously!? That's insane.

public service loan forgiveness is awesome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Wow. I admit right off I dont have as much standing to side eye this- my folks were very generous in covering my education, so no loans in that area- but how rude can people be?! Shoot, if this is how the world should work, I should have a do over so people can give DH money for grad school, instead of his applying for scholarships and us living carefully on my salary in an effort to avoid loans.

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    Oh fuck that shit! This "help us pay off our loans" or "help us live our happily ever after" shit pisses me off probably more then anything (other then being told I won't have a chair, because fuck you I like to sit).

I went through undergrad, and then grad school (twice cause I'm nuts), FI has her undergrad and went through law school (that shit is pricey). Guess what? We paid off the fucking student loans our damn selves because we're fucking grown ups! We made the choice to take the loans, we were responsible for paying them off and we fucking did it! We didn't ask other people to do it for us!

When I was 17 I decided I wanted to move out of my mother's home and live with my friends. So my mom sat me down and told me very clearly that she was my mother and she'd always be there for me, but deciding to live on my own was an adult decision. Adults, she told me, pay their own way. So financially I'd be on own. If I stayed with her, so long as I was a student, she'd pay most of my bills (my cell bill was my own and gas for my car), but if I moved out everything was my own responsibility (except health insurance, she'd be nice and keep me on her's). Rent, food, car insurance, gas, cell, utilities, I was in charge of it all.

11 years later, it's still all my responsibility. Sure, my mom would never let me starve and would bring over food from time to time. Dad might slip me a twenty here or there. But for the most part, it was up to me to make my way in the world. That was the choice I made when I decided I was adult enough to live on my own. 

Getting married is an adult decision. You are choosing to do something adults do. As an adult, you also have to pay your own fucking way. You cover your bills, you do not ask others to do so for you.
    I agree with this a thousand times over. When H and I decided to live together, we knew what we were getting into. I mean, our parents wouldn't let us starve or anything either, but you come together and learn how to effectively budget. Yeah, I am nowhere perfect with that, but we have to make it work. Not working is not an option because we do not wanna. On a plus side, I was really happy to be out on my own and get away from my hometown to somewhere new. It was scary at first, but becoming an adult is not rainbows and sunshine all the time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Why in the everloving fuck do people think cash is "in lieu of gifts?" CASH IS A FUCKING GIFT! 

And as to the rest of it, icanteven.

• Options
    Rebl90Rebl90 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    MagicInk said:
    Oh fuck that shit! This "help us pay off our loans" or "help us live our happily ever after" shit pisses me off probably more then anything (other then being told I won't have a chair, because fuck you I like to sit).

I went through undergrad, and then grad school (twice cause I'm nuts), FI has her undergrad and went through law school (that shit is pricey). Guess what? We paid off the fucking student loans our damn selves because we're fucking grown ups! We made the choice to take the loans, we were responsible for paying them off and we fucking did it! We didn't ask other people to do it for us!

When I was 17 I decided I wanted to move out of my mother's home and live with my friends. So my mom sat me down and told me very clearly that she was my mother and she'd always be there for me, but deciding to live on my own was an adult decision. Adults, she told me, pay their own way. So financially I'd be on own. If I stayed with her, so long as I was a student, she'd pay most of my bills (my cell bill was my own and gas for my car), but if I moved out everything was my own responsibility (except health insurance, she'd be nice and keep me on her's). Rent, food, car insurance, gas, cell, utilities, I was in charge of it all.

11 years later, it's still all my responsibility. Sure, my mom would never let me starve and would bring over food from time to time. Dad might slip me a twenty here or there. But for the most part, it was up to me to make my way in the world. That was the choice I made when I decided I was adult enough to live on my own. 

Getting married is an adult decision. You are choosing to do something adults do. As an adult, you also have to pay your own fucking way. You cover your bills, you do not ask others to do so for you.

I like you MagicInk!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    E2theBE2theB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    My brother and his wife married at 25 and 24, pretty much right out of college. My brother decided to go to grad school. They ended up living with my parents (and me- I was still in college). Worst decision my parents could have ever made. I graduated a 5 year program and started working full time at age 23, living at home too. Fast forward about 4 years and my brother and his wife are expecting a baby. Still living in my parents house, not paying rent, and not really saving money either. (They went on a lot of vacations and my SIL likes retail 'therapy') I moved out on my own with minimal savings and didn't look back. They finally moved out after another 3 years when my brother finally finished his doctorate. And now that they've entered the real world, they are shocked and appalled at how expensive everything is. GEE, you think? For about 6 years they lived rent free and did as they pleased. Now it's biting them in the ass. And I sit by and smile. Yes I struggled harder, but I think I learned more in the long run.
  • Options
    Rebl90 said:
    MagicInk said:

I like you MagicInk!
    I like that you used a Unique gif. I love Unique.
  • Options
    I love messing around on Reddit to waste time at work, but I had to stop reading the wedding pages pretty quickly. 
    Yep, I have way too many downvotes from the wedding planning subs. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    E2theB said:
    My brother and his wife married at 25 and 24, pretty much right out of college. My brother decided to go to grad school. They ended up living with my parents (and me- I was still in college). Worst decision my parents could have ever made. I graduated a 5 year program and started working full time at age 23, living at home too. Fast forward about 4 years and my brother and his wife are expecting a baby. Still living in my parents house, not paying rent, and not really saving money either. (They went on a lot of vacations and my SIL likes retail 'therapy') I moved out on my own with minimal savings and didn't look back. They finally moved out after another 3 years when my brother finally finished his doctorate. And now that they've entered the real world, they are shocked and appalled at how expensive everything is. GEE, you think? For about 6 years they lived rent free and did as they pleased. Now it's biting them in the ass. And I sit by and smile. Yes I struggled harder, but I think I learned more in the long run.
    That's insane. My brother and sister both lived at home for a few years - they didn't want to pay rent. My brother moved out of my parents into the house he bought. But my parents never would have put up with that crap. They could live their rent free, but only if they were saving a certain amount of their paycheck. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    E2theBE2theB member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Yeah, trust me. My mom got really irritated with it REALLY quickly. But my father is the big softie,and since my brother was getting in school working on his master's, then his doctorate, they let it go. I think they were just about to be asked to move on their own when they told us all they were pregnant. Then my dad didn't have the heart to tell them to go fend for themselves. Then at 8 months my niece was diagnosed with neuroblastoma and spent two months in the hospital. So they stayed a while longer still while they paid down medical bills. They did have some unusual life circumstances going on, but they made about as much money as myself and my fiance, and we lived on our own. I think they weren't ready to give up that safety net and move on. 
  • Options
    Someone should just start a worst of Reddit thread.
    Look at these **beeeaaaauuuutiful** centerpieces I found.
    http://imgur.com/IPqUHeo
    http://imgur.com/FqziGa4
    I'm sorry. That second one looks like broccoli.

• Options
    Why stop at student loans. Hey can you pay off my mortgage; I just bought a house? Why not ask for money to pay off credit card debt too.

• Options
    snikives said:
    Someone should just start a worst of Reddit thread.
    Look at these **beeeaaaauuuutiful** centerpieces I found.
    http://imgur.com/IPqUHeo
    http://imgur.com/FqziGa4
    I'm sorry. That second one looks like broccoli.

You've turned me off hydrangeas forever. That is hideous. 
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards