Wedding Reception Forum

Dessert Bar Question

MW5280MW5280 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
We're having a brunch wedding/reception in September and instead of having cake, we're doing a variety of desserts on each table. 

Currently, we're thinking about 5 choices (cake pops, dessert shots, truffles, and 2 types of cookies). 

My question(s):
Is this enough variety? 
How many of each do you need? 

Thanks!

ETA: Paragraphs!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dessert Bar Question

• With a dessert bar you tend to need to have one of each item for each of your guest.  When you provide options, and when those options are bite sized like yours seem to be, guests tend to like to try them all.

I think 5 different items is a good variety.

• MW5280MW5280 member
    Thanks, Maggie!

That's kind of what I was thinking already but wanted to run this by someone who wasn't my mom or FI. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MW5280 said:
    Thanks, Maggie!

That's kind of what I was thinking already but wanted to run this by someone who wasn't my mom or FI. 
    LOL!  Even though I love cake, I would love your dessert bar.  I love sweets so the more the better :)

• MW5280MW5280 member
    We had our tasting on Sunday...I wanted to eat EVERYTHING!

Our bakery is owned by a Brazilian family, and the entire menu is divine. And they make an awesome gluten-free variety, so FI gets to enjoy some of it too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That sounds fabulous! I agree with all the PPs.

You might consider adding a few fruit trays as well. While not as popular as the deliciousness you posted, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MW5280MW5280 member
    The brunch menu consists of:

Veggie Fritata
    Seasoned Red Potatoes 
    Grilled Seasonal Veggies w/ Basalmic Dressing
    Bacon
    Pumpkin/Zucchini Bread
    Pastries
    Fresh Seasonal Fruit

So we're adding the dessert business on top of all of that.

And mimosas. (And other stuff to drink as well. I only care about the mimosas.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    MW5280 said:

We had our tasting on Sunday...I wanted to eat EVERYTHING!

Our bakery is owned by a Brazilian family, and the entire menu is divine. And they make an awesome gluten-free variety, so FI gets to enjoy some of it too!
    Ooh if they're Brazilian, are the truffles really brigadieros?!! Yum yum yum! Any way you can add pao de queijo to the brunch?!

• MW5280MW5280 member
    Yes! So amazing! I hadn't considered pao de queijo...but it sounds like the best idea ever!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MW5280 said:

Yes! So amazing!

I hadn't considered pao de queijo...but it sounds like the best idea ever!

It is. Trust me.

It amazes me that Brazilians are so darn skinny when their food is so amazing!

• Your brunch sounds absolutely delicious! 

I'd have at least one of each item per person - even after brunch I'd probably want to try more than one :)

I think to know if it's enough variety I'd want to know the flavors -- if my choices are chocolate cake pop, chocolate cookie, and chocolate truffle, I'd say no. But if it's, say, carrot cake pop, oatmeal cookie, and chocolate truffle, then I'd say it sounds perfect.
  • MW5280MW5280 member
    The cookies are shortbread with dulce de leche in the middle and an Italian cookie that the fam will be making, not sure on cake pop flavor yet, and the truffles are chocolate, and the dessert shots will be passion fruit (I think).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I need an invitation! Sounds amazing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • MW5280MW5280 member
    Haha! 

Food is the one thing we're not skimping on. 

Flowers? Get whatever is in season! 
    Decorations? Who needs 'em!
    Dress? Only gonna wear it once!

Food? No one likes bad wedding food! Majority of the budget right there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds yummy!  I'd definitely have more than one per person though.  I'm not sure what the right amount is, but I'm somewhat picky and if there's something I really like, I'll probably take 2 or 3 and skip everything else.  I'd hate to get up there and 2 of the 5 desserts are wiped out clean.
  • MW5280MW5280 member
    "Dessert Bar" might be a misnomer...the desserts are actually going to be the centerpieces on each table as space might be an issue in the venue. So, each table will have enough for every person. 

And we also know that a solid 5-10 of our guests can't eat some/any of the desserts because of varying dietary issues (gluten and lactose allergies, diabetes, etc.)

But making sure we have more is probably the way to go. Who doesn't love leftovers?!?!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards