Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Tall and nervous about dress shopping next week

I'm 6'2" with a 37" inseam. I have an appointment to try on dresses next week, this will be the first time I've ever tried on a wedding dress (or really, any formal dress for that matter). How long are dresses typically made, length-wise? Do many dresses generally have an option to order them longer if they are a floor-length gown? My fear is that I'll try on a few dresses that I've picked out from the website (David's Bridal) and then get there only to realize they're too short or can't be ordered long enough. I don't want to leave the appointment with no options if things aren't long enough, and I don't want to pick a dress that I don't really like just because it is long enough. I'll probably be wearing flats to our wedding, or something with a very low heel. No one needs to see me tripping all over myself in a big pair of heels, I am tall enough. :)

Re: Tall and nervous about dress shopping next week

• Options
    Maybe you could call David's ahead of time and tell them your concern. They can probably tell you more on the length of their dresses. I'm 5'9 and tried on some dresses there with 2" heels. The length was about right for me maybe a little long on some. Those were size 6 bridal and I'm usually a 4. If you are a bigger size that might mean longer length too.
  • Options

I am 5'9 and did not have a problem.  But my dress was not David's Bridal, so that could be a difference.  I did need to have my dress hemmed and with the amount it was taken up, it would probably be just about right for someone who was 6'2.

I would call them and ask them if their dresses can be ordered with extra length.  That way when you are trying dresses on, you can have that thought to calm you if a dress isn't long enough when you put it on. 

If you end up ordering from a designer that can offer this, I recommend getting measured hallow to hem.  They will make your dress according to your proportions.  Usually this will help shorter brides, but with your height it will also probably be beneficial.  I know that Demetrios bridal offers this.  They are sold in the Macy's Bridal Salons throughout the country.  They also frequently have trunk shows, where you can get an extra 20% off all gowns (including BM & MOB/MOG dresses!).  Just look up the trunk shows for the Macy's in your area.

• Options
    love05312014love05312014 member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the info. No Macy's bridal salons in my vicinity unfortunately. As it is, I'll be driving an hour to the nearest David's Bridal. My budget for the dress will ideally be $500 plus the cost of alterations. We are having a small wedding (8 guests plus us) and the dress is not that big of a deal to me (no idea who any designers are anyway lol). I just want to feel beautiful in what I pick, and I want it to be long enough. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    The sample gowns at David's will be too short, but they can all be ordered longer.  My daughter is 6' tall, and she was considering one of their dresses.  We had the best luck for her at Demetrios (Macy's).  The standard length at Demetrios was long enough for her, which made up for the higher price.  (Pearl's Place carries Demetrios at a reduced price.)
    Recently I bought a clearance bridesmaid's dress for her.  It was a bit short, but she can wear it with flats for a special occasion coming up.

NWR:  Did you know that Land's End now has dresses for tall girls?  Daughter was obsessing over what to wear as a wedding guest last weekend, so I sent her these dresses.  She loved them!  They run large.

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-cotton-modal-fit-and-flare-dress/id_234859_58

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-print-fit-and-flare-maxi-dress/id_267462_58

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

I purchased my dress from Davids Bridal and it seemed like all their dresses came 59" from "hollow to hem" - so for me being 5'9", 140# but chesty they only just touched the floor when I was barefoot.

So, you'll either have to order them with extra length or get alterations for length. :( Huge bummer for me.

• Options
    I am 6' and found my dress at David's Bridal. I just went in for alterations and the seamstress was amazed that the dress was the perfect length (if not a little too long, I will be wearing a very poofy crinoline slip so I will avoid having to get it hemmed).

My dress is from the Vera Wang White collection and most of the dresses in the collection were long enough for me. I was very pleasantly surprised.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    What is hollow to hem if I wanted to measure myself?
  • Options
    This is one measurement you cannot possibly do yourself.  Someone places the tape at the back of your neck, just over your shoulder bones, and measures down to the floor, and subtract an inch.  They can do it for you at any bridal salon,  You should ask them to take all your important measurements.  Fortunately (or not) these days, most brides don't need sleeve measurements!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

The bridal consultant who helps you at your appointment can point you in the right direction. Just be sure to tell her you only want to try on dresses which can be ordered in extra length, as it will be needed. I am 6' tall and plan on wearing small 2 inch heels to my wedding. I found a Jasmine dress at a local bridal shop- Jasmine you are able to order hollow to hem- I was able to order my dress down to the 1/2 inch! I added length to accommodate for the heels and I want to add a crinoline underneath to accentuate the mermaid style I picked out. The way they measured hollow to hem for me was from the "hollow" at the base of my throat (the top of my sternum, or between both clavicles), all the way down to the floor. Then added a little extra for heels and crinoline at my choosing. It just came in and I get to try it on next week, hooray!

• Options
    reichertl said:

The bridal consultant who helps you at your appointment can point you in the right direction. Just be sure to tell her you only want to try on dresses which can be ordered in extra length, as it will be needed. I am 6' tall and plan on wearing small 2 inch heels to my wedding. I found a Jasmine dress at a local bridal shop- Jasmine you are able to order hollow to hem- I was able to order my dress down to the 1/2 inch! I added length to accommodate for the heels and I want to add a crinoline underneath to accentuate the mermaid style I picked out. The way they measured hollow to hem for me was from the "hollow" at the base of my throat (the top of my sternum, or between both clavicles), all the way down to the floor. Then added a little extra for heels and crinoline at my choosing. It just came in and I get to try it on next week, hooray!

I might be wrong about my previous post.  The ladies in the bridal shop will know what to do.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards