Wisconsin
Options

Can't Choose My Photographer!

I am having a really hard time choosing my photographer for our December wedding in Milwaukee. I have read so many of the posts on the Board and there seems to be many options. I'm torn between Beth Engel, Edward Fox, Joe Hang, possibly Patrick Manning. I would love Shoot the Moon to do our wedding, but they are right around $4k and to me that is way too expensive!

I'm trying to be budget conscious. Many of these photographers have associates, who are cheaper. Do you think that is a good idea? I realize these photos are our lifelong memories, but if they are associates, the main photographer still has his/her name on the finished product! It can't be that bad, right??

I'm looking for thoughts about the above photographers and thoughts about associates within these groups. Thank you!!

Re: Can't Choose My Photographer!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you go with an associate, make sure you look at the associate's profile.  The quality might be different.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I used Adam Tyksinski.  He was very reasonably priced and we have very nice photos.  http://www.adamtphotography.com/ I think he works in Madison and Milwaukee.  I'll PM you a link to our pics. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    KatieD212KatieD212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Joe Hang is our photographer.  My wedding is in 2 weeks! He was great at our engagement session!! And I love talking to him, super easy going nice guy.  If you look at his website from August/September 2010, my pics are under Katie and Jon.  I also can send you the link to my fb album if you would like to see them! 
    I really love his artistic view....I don't think you would be disappointed :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is from a blog that was written by a photographer friend of mine and may help here:

1. Photography is really one of those things in life – you get what you pay for. The more skilled and better a photographer, the more expensive that person is going to be on your wallet. Don’t price shop. And don’t discount a particular studio because you feel you either can or can’t afford them. Invest in what is important.

1. You’ll hear it again and again, but the images from your wedding are the only lasting thing you have after the day is over. If you are going to invest thousands of dollars into putting together a wedding, you want to invest at the very least, 25-40% of your overall budget into photography. Because a skilled photographer will make you, your wedding and your memories look like a million bucks.

1. Buy an album. Seriously people… Discs of images are fine and dandy for archival purposes. And I know everyone has great intentions of making a do-it-yourself album after the wedding is done. But again, invest in what is important, and don’t skimp. I promise you in 5 years, you’ll be really happy you have that wedding album. (Please trust me on this one and learn from my mistake… I’m a photographer with the latest and greatest products available to me. It’s almost 7 years since my wedding and to this day my husband and my mother have not seen our wedding pictures because they sit on a disc in a closet. It’s sad. And I’m much too busy with life to do it myself… so the project just languishes year after year.)

1. Hire someone you like. I mentioned once before how important personality is… it is one of those elements that is vital to success. I learned early on in my career to work with people and couples that I like. People I want as friends and people I’d have over for dinner. And all of my clients are those types of people! But if you don’t fully click with your photographer, move on. Even if you like their portfolio and their price. Because your images won’t be nearly as good unless you fully trust your hired professional, like them, and enjoy their company. Of any of your vendors, you will work the closest with your photographer.

1. Keep an open mind while you are searching for your photographer. You may be completely surprised about what draws you in and what turns you away.

whimsicalphotodesign.com/1003

HTH!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer is Lisa Mathewson. She's based out of Wauwatosa and I think she's fabulous! My fiance and I found her very easy to work with when she did our engagement pictures, and we just LOVE them! Her prices are reasonable too, you can check it all out here:

lisamathweson.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gundy21gundy21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I second Lisa!  She is wonderful!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd suggest you remove Beth Engel from your list of possibilities. All you need to do is look at her reviews and do a search on the boards here for reasons why.
  • Options
    Unless you want a photographer that won't care about your day, will never return calls and email, comes unprepared, and is unprofessional....then I wouldn't go with beth engel
  • Options
    Don't use Beth Engal. If you look back a few threads you'll see several Wisconsin brides had trouble with her. I have been to a few weddings photographed by Edward Fox and he does amazing work. The photographer I'm using is in Madison but travels to Milwaukee. It's Azena Photographer and she is amazing and fun.
  • Options
    I'm getting married Aug 9 in Milwaukee and we're using Sarah Immel.  LOVE HER!  She was the only photographer we met with, because after talking to her we didn't want anyone else.  She is super sweet and nice and makes the experience fun.  She did our engagement pictures and my fiance was not super thrilled to get them done.  She did an amazing job and he admitted that he had a good time doing them.  

She also sent us chocolates, a tote bag with our initials, and a card just because.  She really is awesome and I can not WAIT for her to take our wedding photos.  

Here is her site in case you wanted to take a look.  http://www.sarahimmelphotography.com/ For the package we got it was around $2500.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards