Chit Chat
Options

Dress Regret (vent)

I bought my dress almost a year before our wedding because my Grandma wanted to come shopping with me, which meant we would need a long weekend, so we went shopping over Memorial Day weekend.

We went to an off-the-rack bridal store and I tried on about 12 dresses, and there were 3 that I liked but they all had things that I just didn’t love about them. The first one I tried was great but I didn’t love it that much. My grandma kept pushing me toward that dress and insisting that I put it back on after I had tried some other dresses. The second time I put on the dress I liked it better, because the sales lady clipped it a little looser than she did the first time. The third time I tried it (at grandma's insistence) I wore a bra and didn't have it clipped, which made the fit much more flattering. I really loved it when I saw it that way, and felt hopeful that a seamstress could make it even better.

There was surprisingly little pressure from the sales lady, but my grandma kept telling me how much she loved the dress. I wanted to take some pictures and then think about it for a couple of days or get another person to come look with us. But they told me it was the only one of its kind left (this store designs all their own dresses) and they couldn’t hold it for me, so there was good chance it wouldn’t be there when I came back. I really do like the dress, and I was so happy about it in the store, but I gave in to the fear that it would be gone if I continued to search for another dress that I loved more. So I bought it, I was absolutely giddy and thrilled about it.

But the more I think about it, the more I feel like I made the wrong choice and I wish I had looked more. My dress is unique, and I keep seeing pictures of my friends getting married in their more trendy (lacy mermaid style) dresses and I think, DAMN, that’s what I want. Either that, or something simple and inexpensive like the ones from modcloth or BLDHN. I also worry that I won’t be able to get into shape well enough to look good in this dress or I’ll have to wear some REALLY uncomfortable undergarments to make it work. I’m trying to avoid looking at other dresses, and I keep looking at the pictures of me in my dress to remind me of how much I liked it in the store, but it’s just this nagging feeling of disappointment. I sunk my entire dress budget into it and I can’t return it. I don’t think I could sell it for much because it’s a unique style.

TLDR: I bought a dress that I thought I really liked in the store, but now I feel kind of pressured into that decision and am questioning whether I really like it that much, and wishing I had chosen a totally different style. But I’m stuck with it.

Is this normal? Did any of you ladies feel this way about your dress? How did you handle it? I know I’m perpetually indecisive and committing to anything a year in advance is just asking for trouble, but I am really feeling crappy about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Regret (vent)

• Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I think it's pretty normal! I suggest going dress shopping with like 1 person who won't push you and give you honest feed back. If your budget can handle it, try selling the one you have secondhand and buying a new one. Dresses don't have to be hundreds of dollars. 

EDIT: I just reread the part where you said my suggestion wouldn't work. My other suggestion is to take it to a very skilled seamstress who might be able to add/subtract things to the dress and make it fit you like a glove. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think that my saving grace with my dress is that I bought the one that I loved and then I didn't think about it anymore. I tend to overthink things and then I start to second guess myself. Try the dress on--alone and look at it. See how it makes you feel and notice the positives in the dress. If you are able to do this and genuinely love the dress, take it off and don't look at anymore dresses! You will look beautiful on your wedding day!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Well I didn't love any and decided not to buy one and make it instead. So now I'm 2 months from my wedding without a dress. It will work out, it doesn't take that long and I have a mock dress made already. But I understand wondering if I made the right decision or not.

At the end of the day I think about it like this; it is just one detail of a big picture. I (you too) will look lovely, will be wed surrounding people that love me and be happy. I think we get so wrapped up in this idea of a fairy tale and the dress is ofter the focal point but it doesn't have to be.

Do you have a picture of your dress?
  • Options
    Because we generally do buy dresses a very long time in advance (6 months to a year, or more), I think it's perfectly natural to get dress envy seeing the latest trends and how fabulous others look on their own wedding days.

I'm sure a seamstress can adjust your dress to where you feel amazing!

I had some dress regret too. I kept seeing more fashions.  If I was going to even risk blowing more money on another dress, I figured FI better think it was fabulous too. I showed him a picture of a to-die-for, trendy Waters dress and he didn't like it at all!  LOL! That got rid of my dress envy right away.  

• Options
    I did something very similar to you. I had been dress shopping 10 times and found one I TOTALLY LOVED, but was out of budget (I had tried it on convinced that I could find that dress for cheaper, used or at an off the rack store). Then I went to an OTR store and my mom and sister pressured me into this dress that I 80% loved. After we bought it, I literally felt sick in the car on the way home. I still sometimes feel like I fucked up and should have gotten the other dress. But then I tell myself that I saved a TON and I'm having it altered to be more the shape I wanted. 

I also keep telling myself that sure, there's likely dresses out there that I would like better or would look better, but the dress I have is the only dress at this wedding. There's nothing to compare your dress to - it's the only one there and I'm sure it's beautiful. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm very much in the same position as you. I loved my dress when I tried it on, but when it came in and I tried it on I was like eeeehhhhhh and then at my first fitting I was like well, I like it, but dang is it poofy. Of course my mom reminded me that I wanted a poofy dress...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    It sounds like your grandma kind of pushed you into choosing that dress and you bought it because you were scared it might be gone if you 'slept on it'.  I would sell the dress and go shopping alone or with people that aren't so opinionated.  
  • Options
    I'm sure the dress is gorgeous on you.  There's a reason you and your grandma liked it in the first place!  A great seamstress can make it fit perfectly; it sounds like you want some cups sewn in and a little bit of a looser fit.  That's a reasonable request.

With that said, it does sound like you were pressured into buying this dress.  If you are really having second thoughts, I'm gonna go against the grain of most PPs and say you should go look at some other dresses.  I would try to estimate what you might be able to sell this one for (even if much less than you bought it), and see if you can find a dress you love for that amount.  If you can't, then you know the original dress is for you.

What makes this dress so unique?  Do you have pics?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling this way. What you're feeling is absolutely normal. It's called buyer's remorse. You can look up how to deal with it. This happens with many major purchases. There are many beautiful and suitable dresses out there but you can only wear one. Same with venues, cars, houses. Hopefully not the same with your FI. Good luck in evaluating your alternatives.
  • Options
    I'll be honest and say I felt a twinge of regret with mine. But I stopped looking around and kept looking at my dress and every time I looked at it, I fell in love all over again! If you are in a spot where you want something else, do it soon. As dresses can take awhile to come in, plus fittings, etc.

If there is nothing you can do, I would do something similar to what I did. Stop looking at other dresses, and look at what you already have. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I love looking at dresses.  I bought mine back in February I think?  I see so many others I want....but then I circle back around to the fact that my outside venue will probably wreck the bottom of my dress, which I got for a steal.  I'm still not sure I won't switch out for a different dress, but mine is lovely and I don't think I would hate wearing it.  :)

• Options
    @senecaf @JCbride2015 pictures!

(this one looks like crap because it was clipped to tight)

I'm wondering if I would like it more if the seamstress could remove the flutter sleeves and maybe adjust the lacy bits so they're a little lower on my boobs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ooooh, I think it's beautiful on you!  And you look really happy!

Removing the flutter sleeves should be pretty easy; you could have her turn them into sort of a tank top strap instead.  I can't see the lacy top quite enough to figure that out, but it's definitely worth talking to a seamstress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options

That's the only pic I have right now, and not the veil I'm going to go with.  It's organza, so it's light and fluffy and I'm really hoping to get married outside!  :) 

• Options
    I've been seeing a lady trying to sell this dress on Craigslist, and I'm seriously coveting it...but she seems a bit of a crackpot so I haven't pursued it (posted it like 12X, starting price of $1200 then going all the way down to $350 - suspicious).  It's a Maggie Sottero Ambrosia.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I didn't LOVE my dress, but my mom started getting choked up and it was super on sale. I ended up mostly loving it after the wedding. I still long for the dress that was 5 times as much as the one I got, but there was no way I wanted to pay that much.

I think wedding dresses frequently fall into the "grass is always greener" category. If nothing else, it's hard to stop looking and wanting to try on dresses. 

If there was a place that charged to come in a try on wedding dresses and fancy gowns it would packed like disney world.

eta - your dress is gorgeous - don't over think it  :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Oh my god! Your dress is beautiful on you! Good luck, though!
  • Options
    Oh, that dress is so pretty, and you are pretty in it! Truly!

However, I will say this: if you are still feeling this way closer to the wedding, what do you think about getting a second dress for the reception? It could be the simpler/trendier ModCloth style you want, and you could wear it at the reception knowing that it is 100% the dress that YOU chose. It might even make you feel more charitable toward the first dress, honestly. Normally I'm not about having a second dress (I feel like as a guest I really love seeing the dress up close at the reception) but if you are just killing yourself over this, it might be a good compromise (plus second dresses are usually simpler and therefore, more budget-friendly).

If this all seems too convoluted, though, I think I would just wait to see how the alterations turn out. You may very well fall back in love. And, while this is perhaps not a popular opinion...it's just a dress. Which you like (but not love!) and which is very pretty. You'll be so happy on your wedding day, and people will fall all over themselves praising it (as well they should, because it's pretty!). You may not even remember or care that you had second thoughts. If you woke up and realized you HATED it, I wouldn't even bring this up, but it seems like that's not the case. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    First: you look beautiful in you dress and the alterations would make it killer awesome. Second: for this reason I have yet to commit to a dress :(

• Options
    I think that dress is stunning.

Anniversary
  • Options

Can you put it back on?

Seeing it on again might make you remember what you loved about it.

And, for what it's worth, I LOVE it on you. I think it's very flattering, though I can see what you mean about clipping it too tight. The dress doesn't have the structure to fit that way. But that's okay. Just wear it looser, as you said. I even love the sleeves. I don't think they would be hard for a seamstress to adjust and I think that the lace could also be easily taken off and moved if it's stitched on and not glued. I see what you mean about it needing to be lowered. It doesn't quite go under your bust cups.

I think it's a beautiful dress. Sometimes I wonder about mine, so I think it's a normal feeling. But I chose it on my own. My mom was with me, but she didn't pressure me either way. I see dresses on here or in ads/tv and wonder if I would like it better, but then I remember the way mine looked and the details of it that I loved.

Put it on again if you can. Twirl in it and dance. See if it makes you happy.

Also, I think it fits well as it is and that you have no need to be concerned about crazy undergarments if you don't want to wear them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    Oh my word, you look fantastic!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Well you look absolutely beautiful in your dress! I had dress regret big time but the dress I really wanted was out of my price range. I resented the dress I bought for a couple of months and I've finally come around to loving it again. The PPs are right about the grass is always greener point. I think with the right alterations you could come to love this dress even more than you think.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty normal.  I got my big poofy dress and it's strapless and I keep seeing these dresses with the illusions necklines that are a little more modest than mine pop up thinking 'that's what I wanted!' or I'll see a sleeker dress and think 'I'm having a DW, I should have done something more like that because I have to figure out how to travel with this huge dress now!'.

I think it's just, you get 1 wedding dress.  If it were something like a pair of shoes and you fell in love with 2-3 pair, you could say 'I'll just buy all 3 because an occasion will come up where I can wear them'... where you're really not going to find an excuse to wear another wedding dress.

Anniversary
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    I think it's normal. I'm feeling it with my dress as well. I wish I had gotten something less expensive, less elaborate, easier to walk in, etc. etc. Everyone goes, "It's so YOU!" and while I love it, I don't think it's THAT me. It's like, 75% me.

But I think it's worth remembering that in the end, it's just a dress. There's this narrative going around (thanks, Say Yes to the Dress!) that there's one perfect dress for you, just like there's one perfect person for you to marry. Or you can be like me and figure, "Well, my partner is not perfect but I chose him and he makes me happy," and the same thing goes for the dress.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I personally love that dress! And you look gorgeous in it!
  • Options
    Not going through dress regret is what is abnormal. Your dress is gorgeous on you. If you really want to shake the last regret off, you can schedule an apt to try on that Maggie dress or a similar silhouette. I've found that gowns that big tend to be hard for most girls to wear, and many post here how surprised they were that it didn't match thier vision.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Ditto, @offensivekitten2.

I loved a ballgown and wanted it (even though it was way out of budget). I tried on other ballgowns and hated all of them. They did nothing for my short frame and just weren't me. I loved the way it looked in photos, but really, I just didn't look good in ballgowns. Trying them on helped me accept that. I ended up with an A-line gown that I love, but still have some tiny second-thoughts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Options
    You look amazing in that dress! I loooooove the flutter sleeves. It would make me sad if you got rid of them, but do what you've gotta do. I think you should go the seamstress route.
  • Options
    I love your dress! Embrace the uniqueness! In 10-20 years you wont have a dated dress like all your friends!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards