Not Engaged Yet

Blogs?

evadorroughevadorrough member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited June 2014 in Not Engaged Yet
Do you read any blogs regularly?  Or other fun/interesting sites?  I have a handful that I'll occasionally check on, but two that I read religiously:

Pretty things, cool things on the internet, clothing that's way too expensive for me to ever buy, life musings and tips, recipes.  Has made me actually want to spend time in NYC.

Used to be a vegan recipe blog, but has transitioned over to more of a whatever-she-feels-like blog.  I just love how honest some of the writing is, and she doesn't give a fuck what people think.  (Katie, the author of the blog, was on Ben's season of The Bachelor.  She's way cooler in bloglife than she seemed on the TV show, though)

I'd love to see what internet-things you all are reading/loving!

Re: Blogs?

• I can't really get into blogs. I'll look at Style Me Pretty when I want to let out some BSC-ness but I don't read anything she writes, I just look at pretty pictures.

I can't handle cooking blogs. I get so annoyed when I have to read a bunch of random stories throughout the recipe. Just tell me how to make the damn cookies!

• @bethsmiles I hate some cooking blogs for that reason too...

When I write in my cooking my I just give the recipe if I feel the need for any other life update I do it in another post...

Anniversary

• I have a neuroscience blog and I mostly only read other neuro blogs.  I get too annoyed with cooking blogs because nothing I make ever looks the way it should haha
  • BreMRBreMR member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I only read blogs I stumble across when they make the news, like the guy who went on a tangent about how amazing stay at home moms are (http://themattwalshblog.com/2013/10/09/youre-a-stay-at-home-mom-what-do-you-do-all-day/) , or the guy who created the blog 'reasons my son is crying' ( http://www.reasonsmysoniscrying.com/) and STFU parents( http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/), which is amazing.

(oh it turns out I must read parenting blogs)

Also, not to go on a tirade, but the blog written by the guy who has a stay at home wife seems super sweet and genuine until you read his other blogs about how the wife's duty is to service the husband and do God's work.  I immediately hated the blog.  He's a barf bag.
  • @BreMR - Reasons my Son is Crying is hilarious! I'm also a fan of STFU parents. All my friends are having babies now (seriously is it normal that I'm 23 and all my friends are married and having babies, it feels weird!) and they don't do anything as bad as the people on that blog but sometimes I have to roll my eyes at their FB posts.

• BreMRBreMR member
    @BreMR - Reasons my Son is Crying is hilarious! I'm also a fan of STFU parents. All my friends are having babies now (seriously is it normal that I'm 23 and all my friends are married and having babies, it feels weird!) and they don't do anything as bad as the people on that blog but sometimes I have to roll my eyes at their FB posts.
    I have a kid of my own and I roll my eyes at FB posts of people.  My biggest annoyance lately is how women are justifying being shitty friends because they have kids. LIke this  gem of an article I saw people posting on FB 

why is it always such a battle between women with kids and women without? or moms who work v.s. stay at home moms? agh!! 

• @BreMR - Reasons my Son is Crying is hilarious! I'm also a fan of STFU parents. All my friends are having babies now (seriously is it normal that I'm 23 and all my friends are married and having babies, it feels weird!) and they don't do anything as bad as the people on that blog but sometimes I have to roll my eyes at their FB posts.
    I'm going to be honest, I HATE this blog. I don't find it endearing, and all it does is give me more reasons to never have children. I also felt this way about the video of the kid who was trying to convince his mom to let him have a cupcake and kept saying "Linda. Linda, listen." I didn't think it was cute, I thought it was fucking obnoxious.

STFU Parents, however, I LOVE.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I love The Blogess and Suri Cruise's Burn Book is hysterical

Anniversary

• BreMRBreMR member
    @goldenpenguin I actually never watched the video of the kid with the cupcake because I knew it would annoy me.  Videos of kids talking to their parents like jerks are not cute to me.
  • I really enjoy cooking blogs but besides that I usually find myself stumbling upon a few faith based blogs that I'll follow (maybe only 2 right now) and the rest are just cooking.

I've seen a few STFU parents posts and I think it's hilarious!
  • The only one I read regularly is The Small Things. I got hooked on the hair tutorials that I found from pinterest, and then started looking through all the other beauty stuff she posts. Now she's blogging about her baby and I keep reading it. I don't even like kids, but I love her blog.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:
    The only one I read regularly is The Small Things. I got hooked on the hair tutorials that I found from pinterest, and then started looking through all the other beauty stuff she posts. Now she's blogging about her baby and I keep reading it. I don't even like kids, but I love her blog.
    I really like her too! I actually just want her hair, which might be part of it.

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• BreMR said:
    @goldenpenguin I actually never watched the video of the kid with the cupcake because I knew it would annoy me.  Videos of kids talking to their parents like jerks are not cute to me.
    Agree 100%

I don't know if I'd use the word "endearing" for Reasons my Kid is Crying, more I will sympathize with you and your struggle with your kid crying for absurd reasons. I'm not sure it's supposed to make you think the kid is cute.

• BreMRBreMR member
    I think with Reasons My Kid is Crying is mocking how ridiculous kids are which is why I like it.  haha!! 

I don't really like it anymore because it's too many submissions from people, when it started out it was just his adorable two kids that you felt like you knew.. 
  • BreMR said:
    I think with Reasons My Kid is Crying is mocking how ridiculous kids are which is why I like it.  haha!! 

I don't really like it anymore because it's too many submissions from people, when it started out it was just his adorable two kids that you felt like you knew.. 
    I hadn't looked at in forever before today and didn't realize that now it was submissions from other people. It's not really funny anymore.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I use Feedly because I follow so many blogs and sites. Unfortunately, I guess I don't know which ones count as blogs and which ones don't. I'll list ones I think count as blogs:

Pharygula: Blog written by a really liberal atheist biology professor
    Slactivist: Blog by a really liberal progressive evangelical Christian
    Captain Awkward: Advice blog for awkward people, answered by an awkward person and an awkward commenting section
    Dr NerdLove: Similar to Captain Awkward--advice blog for nerdy (mostly) men who have trouble dating
    Man Boobz/We Hunted the Mammoth: Blog that tracks MRA online activity and critiques it
    Sociological Images: Sociology professors discuss sexism, homophobia, racism, etc., through the use of images as examples (e.g. advertising)
    Shakesville: Probably my favorite progressive feminist blog ever
    Science Based Medicine: Blog written by medical doctors who discuss alternative medicine and explain current scientific literature about efficacy of alternative medicine.
    Already Pretty: AWESOME style blog with a focus on finding clothing that works for your shape and tastes. I've made a few purchases recommended in her Insomniac Sales Picks, and I've won a give-away.
    Smitten Kitchen: LOVE her recipes

Not quite blogs:
    Fuck Yeah Feminists: AWESOME feminist tumblr. Often, just single images or links to articles. Sometimes she answers questions or posts info about event she's speaking at
    Cake Wrecks: Exactly what it says on the tin
    Post Secret: Fun to read some of the secrets
    Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal: My favorite webcomic--if you like xkcd, the humor here might suit you
    PhD Comics: Because this is what grad school is really like
    The Consumerist: Sister site of Consumer Reports. It's often very funny, while still being informative. One thing I like is that you can write in with a consumer horror story and if they run it, the company will often respond and try to fix the problem
    #whatshouldwecallgradschool: GIF tumblr making fun of grad school, although it's definitely science grad students contributing (and likely biology students)
    Apartment Therapy: Awesome ideas for how to make your home a nice place to live (whether you're renting or you own). Currently running a contest where you vote on your favorite small houses/apartments. A must read if you need ideas for de-cluttering your living space.

SO MANY BLOGS
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @phira PhD Comics for the win.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards