Wedding Reception Forum
Options

My prelimiary playlist I'm pretty happy…awesome dance songs if you want/need ideas!

EricaCat1EricaCat1 member
First Comment
edited June 2014 in Wedding Reception Forum
This is just kind of a rough draft.  Lol.  There are so many songs that I want on the must-play list!  Please feel free to give suggestions and to take anything from the list if you want or need ideas for dance songs at your own weddings.  : )

"The Mexican" by John "Jellybean" Benitez
"Pump Up the Jam" by Technotronic
"Love Child" by Sweet Sensation
"Can't Buy Me Love" by The Beatles
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" by The Beatles
"Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles
"Forever Your Girl" by Paula Abdul
"Macarena" by Los del Rio
"Celebration" by Kool & the Gang
"Bad Medicine" by Bon Jovi
"Achy Breaky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus
"Shake Your Love" by Debbie Gibson
"Only in My Dreams" by Debbie Gibson
"Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears (sorry I love Britney)
"Sway" by Dean Martin
"Pepino the Italian Mouse" by Lou Monte
"My Way" by Frank Sinatra
"Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses
"Barbie Girl" by Aqua (sorry…LOVE)!
"Jersey Girl" by WPLJ's Scott & Todd (seriously…..sorry but it's SO much fun)!!
"Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard
"Another Night" by Real McCoy
"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston
"That Thing You Do" by The Wonders
"Save the Last Dance for Me" by Michael Buble (soooo much better than that played, boring "Last Dance" by Donna Summer….sorry I love Donna Summer but "Last Dance" is snoozers)!
"Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel
"Wild, Wild West" by The Escape Club
"Pretty Fly for a Rabbi" by Weird Al Yankovic
"Along Comes a Woman" by Chicago
"Mickey" by Toni Basil
"La Bamba" by Ritchie Valens
"Cherish" by Madonna
"Rhythm Divine" by Enrique Iglesias
"Making Love Out of Nothing at All" by Air Supply
"Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65
"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee
"Where Do You Go My Lovely" by No Mercy
"Pound the Alarm" by Nicki Minaj
"Me Against the Music" by Britney Spears and Madonna
"Who's That GIrl" by Madonna
"Heart Skips a Beat" by Ollie Murs
"Starships" by Nicki Minaj
"Pump It" by The Black Eyed Peas
"U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer
"The Loco-Motion" by Little Eva
"Hungry Like the Wolf" by Duran Duran
"Open Arms" by Journey
"Surfin' U.S.A." by The Beach Boys
"Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang
"A Little Respect" by Erasure
"Who's That Chick?" by Dave Guetta featuring Rihanna
"Even the Nights are Better" by Air Supply
"That's Life" by Frank Sinatra
- about 10 Chinese folk songs
"Sandman" by Metallica
"Memories are Made of This" by Dean Martin
"I Get a Kick Out of You" by Frank Sinatra
"Basket Case" by Green Day
"PoP! Goes My Heart" by Hugh Grant
"Gangnam Style" by Psy
"Shut Up and Drive" by Rihanna
"Slow Down" by Selena Gomez
"Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You" by Glenn Medeiros
"Because I Love You (The Postman Song)" by Stevie B
"You Can't Hurry Love" by Diana Ross and the Supremes
"Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm
"Dragostea din tei" a/k/a "Numa Numa" by O-Zone
"Diamond Girl" by Nice & Wild 
"Baby Love" by Diana Ross and the Supremes 
"You Won't Forget Me" by La Bouche 
 "Together Forever" by Lisette Melendez 
"Where Are You Tonight" by Coro
"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond
"The Final Countdown" by Europe
"It's Tricky" by Run-D.M.C.
"Sussudio" by Phil Collins
"I Promise You I Will" by Depeche Mode

Re: My prelimiary playlist I'm pretty happy…awesome dance songs if you want/need ideas!

• Options
    Are you using an iPod or having a DJ?  That's alot of must-play songs.  Most are not my top choice for a wedding reception, but to each their own.
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:
    Are you using an iPod or having a DJ?  That's alot of must-play songs.  Most are not my top choice for a wedding reception, but to each their own.
    DJ.  I know; it's a lot of songs…and there are so many MORE I want!  : (
    I hope I can get the DJ to fit them all in.  Perhaps he can play some of them as background songs. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    That's a lot of must play songs if you're hiring a professional DJ! Maybe you'd be happier if you used an iPod or Spotify to DJ yourself? Otherwise, you're kind of stepping on your DJ's toes.
  • Options
    EricaCat1 said:
    JoanE2012 said:
    DJ.  I know; it's a lot of songs…and there are so many MORE I want!  : (
    I hope I can get the DJ to fit them all in.  Perhaps he can play some of them as background songs. Fingers crossed!!
    I counted 77 songs. At 4 minutes each that's over 5 hours of music. I would not suggest giving this list to a DJ. Emmy is right- they know how to do their job and you wouldn't be letting them do their job. They would be standing there with a preset list that an Ipod could do. I would narrow it down to 20 songs or give him this list and say choose any 20. No offense but I find a lot of those songs obnoxious like the Macarena and Hey Mickey. Nobody wants to dance to that.  

• Options
    Your list is perfect for you - and it's obvious that you really care about the music AND have fun eclectic tastes!  

Instead of thinking of any part of your party as "background" music, think of it in portions like 

Cocktails (keep in mind you may or may not be around at this time ... but your music choices can still be "all you" and help set the tone for your night!)
    Dinner
    Transition (dinner is over, and dancing hasn't started)
    Dancing (old and new fast and slow)

Your music above can all easily fit into those segments of your party.  

Be sure and let your DJ know if there are any songs you really want to hear during dancing, and also if you and Fl have FAVORITES.  That way, you will give your DJ the tools to play many (if not all) and to NOT not play a fav dance (fast or slow) during cocktails, and to YES play your fav or Fl fav during dancing when the DJ actually sees you in the room on or near the dance floor.  

I think if your prioritize your list a little bit, you'll be very happy with the result.   (But do NOT give your DJ a list in a specific order as that really would chop your DJ off at the knees, and defeat the purpose of a professional managing your music and dance floor in the moment) 

Have Fun!
  • Options
    Did you DJ tell you he/she wants you to provide a list of that many songs?  Seems weird to me.
  • Options
    jneen101 said:

Did you DJ tell you he/she wants you to provide a list of that many songs?  Seems weird to me.

No but I'm just preparing a list of the songs I love. This doesn't even tip the iceberg. The only one I don't love or even like is "Sweet Caroline", but the only reason I want it is to have guests say: 'Red Sox suck!' instead of 'Bum bum bum'. Lol.

• Options
    You  may want to talk to your DJ about this then.  Generally DJs don't want to be given a playlist of pretty much all the songs for the night.  It's totally fine to have some must plays (by that I mean, like 10), some play if possibles (again, maybe 10) and some do not plays.  But this is just way, way too many.
  • Options
    jneen101 said:

You  may want to talk to your DJ about this then.  Generally DJs don't want to be given a playlist of pretty much all the songs for the night.  It's totally fine to have some must plays (by that I mean, like 10), some play if possibles (again, maybe 10) and some do not plays.  But this is just way, way too many.

I know. =\
    But, I know of quite a few weddings in which every song was hand-picked by the bride and groom. Then the DJ just decides the order. I think it just costs more money.
  • Options
    Ok well if your DJ is okay with it then I guess that's great.
  • Options
    EricaCat1 said:
    I know. =\ But, I know of quite a few weddings in which every song was hand-picked by the bride and groom. Then the DJ just decides the order. I think it just costs more money.
    Costs more money?  Ummm, all he has to do is pick the order, program them in before the reception starts, hit play and sit back.  There's no reading the crowd or trying to decide what to play. There's really no work for him to do.  Why not save the money and skip the DJ and just do it yourself with an iPod!
  • Options
    RebeccaB88RebeccaB88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Glad that works for you, but that would mean an empty dance floor here.  Since when is Sandman a dance song?  Pretty lame playlist if you ask me (even if I do like some of the songs on their own). I'd scrap it and let your DJ provide better music. The Sinatra stuff might be ok for during dinner, though.
  • Options

Glad that works for you, but that would mean an empty dance floor here.  Since when is Sandman a dance song?  Pretty lame playlist if you ask me (even if I do like some of the songs on their own). I'd scrap it and let your DJ provide better music. The Sinatra stuff might be ok for during dinner, though.

Thing is, A LOT of our guests are 80's aficionados! ; ) Lots of Italian-Americans too so they will definitely dance to Ole Blue Eyes. I also want Huey Lewis' "Heart of Rock 'n Roll" and Human League's "Keep Feeling Fascination" as dance songs.
  • Options
    No offense but I can't imagine how controlling you are on other wedding choices if you are this controlling/ obsessed about song choices. You will be having such a blast and talking to people that you won't even hear half the songs.

• Options
    I agree w/ Jenna......pick a few "must play" songs and then tell the DJ that you'd like to lean more towards 80s music.  He should be able to read the crowd and play songs that keeps everyone out on the dance floor.
  • Options
    Eh, I can see where you're coming from with the music thing. FI and I are big music people, so we want to choose all of our songs! Your tastes aren't particularly what I would pick, but to each their own :) However, your DJ may be put off by that many must have songs. What we're doing is we hired one of our friends from college ( not too close of a friend) that DJ's on the side on weekends. We talked to him about just playing our iPod and songs we wanted, and he's fine with this. Maybe this is something that would work out better for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards