Snarky Brides
Options

Self-hosted engagement party, Facebook invite... bring your own sheets?

Received a Facebook invite for a self-hosted engagement party weekend at the family's vacation house, complete with a request to bring tents if you want to sleep inside, otherwise bring sheets and pillows for bunk beds.

I'm all about a friendly camping weekend.  But for your engagement party?  Hosted by the couple?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Self-hosted engagement party, Facebook invite... bring your own sheets?

• Options
    Ick. And camping with people you done really know, double ick. I can't imagine you know everyone on their list.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah. Not my idea of a good time.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I seriously thought "bring your own sheets" was a typo in your heading. I thought I was going to open this and it would say seats or something. Lol
  • Options
    I love camping but I do NOT want to go camping with people I don't really know. How many people are they inviting?

• Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    There are about 25 people invited.  Most of them are good friends; several of them I've never met.  :-/  This guy is one of Fi's best friends, so we really might end up going.

I love camping but I do NOT want to go camping with people I don't really know. How many people are they inviting?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    At what point does being creative with social-event choices backfire? Right here.

• Options
    At what point does being creative with social-event choices backfire? Right here.
    This is also an example of why semantics and names matter.  This camping trip would normally sound super fun to me.  I'm only side-eying it because it's billed as an engagement party.  So the couple is self-hosting a party in their own honor and wants us to bring camping supplies to help host ourselves.  The invitation also listed what food they will have available, with the implication that if you want more/ something different, bring something.  Now I'm thinking-- am I expected to bring a gift along with my camping supplies and groceries?

All of this would be totally fine for a normal friends' camping weekend.  Start calling it an E-party, and things go downhill.

And one last snark.  What is with the trend of full-weekend wedding-related parties?  FBIL's bach party (and his fiancee's bach) each took a 3-day weekend.  This party is a whole weekend.  It's a PITA.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Exactly what I was thinking. 
  • Options
    Ewww no...

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm with you, I love camping- but this confuses me. Do I bring a gift? Will there be something I need to dress up for at any point?

What is wrong with just camping?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards