Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Graduation announcement etiquette

2»

Re: NWR: Graduation announcement etiquette

• Options

Teddy917 said:

We are only given 5 tickets to the ceremony. I entered the lottery for extra tickets, but there's no guarantee.
    My H and parents wanted to host a dinner after the ceremony. So, I would send invitations to that, but not the graduation announcements themselves until after graduation?

Your school is having a lottery for extra tickets?

Yes...

My school did this too.  I don't think it's weird.

My school didn't do it because there was enough space for whoever wanted to come. However, I still don't find the ticket lottery weird. I've heard of it many times.
  • Options
    My school is the 2nd largest university in the nation, we have over 60,000 enrolled students. So, it's just not feasible to admit every friend and family member of the graduates. They do offer what they call "overflow" where family and friends who didn't get tickets can watch the ceremony on closed circuit TV from the Alumni Center.
    I understand the lottery. I suppose if I only needed 3 of the 5 tickets I was given I would probably either give my extras back to the school for the lottery or if I personally knew someone who was graduating with me and needed extras I'd give them away. Unfortunately, because my school is so big, I don't think I'll know a single person at the ceremony.
  • Options
    I tried to read all responses to this, but there was a lot of quoting so I might have missed some.

A graduation announcement is not gift-grabby, although you will probably receive many checks after sending them out. A graduation is a gift-giving occasion, and many relatives are going to be very happy to celebrate your accomplishments.

I saw you mentioned that the university-provided announcements are future-tense, but you want to send them after the ceremony (so they are not perceived as invites to the ceremony.) I suggest browsing etsy or shutterfly and using your college graduation picture (did you take them?) in a card - your relatives will then see you, the name of your school, and your degree. In my opinion, it's fun and personal, and recipients won't be confused as to whether or not they should attend the actual ceremony.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards