Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Ceremony only wedding... Invitation wording?

Hello ladies! I'm new here, getting hitched this September in a SMALL ceremony. There will be no reception this year. We'll be saving up and doing the reception next year. My question is this... how do I word the invitations? I want people to realize there will not be a "reception to follow", so what do i put on the invites? Any advice is welcome!

Re: Ceremony only wedding... Invitation wording?

• Options

Hello ladies! I'm new here, getting hitched this September in a SMALL ceremony. There will be no reception this year. We'll be saving up and doing the reception next year. My question is this... how do I word the invitations? I want people to realize there will not be a "reception to follow", so what do i put on the invites? Any advice is welcome!

You need to host something for your guests after the ceremony. Even if it's just cake and punch. If you don't want to do that, don't invite anyone.
  • Options
    Yes, you need to host SOMETHING that is appropriate for the time of day for everyone who attends the ceremony.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I am sorry.  There is simply no proper wording for something as rude as you are proposing to do. 
    I think you should plan a simple afternoon ceremony, and then have a cake and punch reception afterwards.  Your wedding reception is for your guests - not for you.  It is a simple gathering after the ceremony where you serve food and drink (cake, coffee and punch) and thank each guest personally for coming.  Reception:  you receive your guests.
    A wedding reception must be held on your wedding day.  It cannot be held at some future date.  You can have a huge anniversary party the following year, but not another wedding reception.  That is impossible.
    If you revise your plans, please let us know, and we can help you write a nice invitation.  There is no proper way to send an invitation to a wedding with no reception.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    As PP's have said, you must host something for the people that attend the ceremony.  If any part of the day goes over a mealtime, you must host the meal.  If you do not want to do that, then you need to postpone until you can or do not invite anyone to the ceremony.

You can have an anniversary party.  This party is not a wedding redo.  No poofy dress.  No wedding party.  No showers. If you want any of these things, you need to wait to have the ceremony and reception on the same day.  If you are getting married in September for medical reasons or tax reasons, then you need to ask yourself what is more important to you, the big party or the financial perks of being married.

You can hire a dj, a caterer, and have cake.  But, again, no exchange of vows, etc.  

ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    I don't understand why you don't save up and do the whole thing next year. As for your question on invitations now, get married at a non meal time and at least have a cake and punch reception. You could leave off any notation of reception or put "cake and punch reception to follow" or "refreshments to follow."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    There is only one polite way to have a wedding with no reception afterwards, but I don't think you'll find it very palatable. It consists of having a totally private wedding with no one present but the bride, groom, and officiant in a location where witnesses are not required. If you plan for even one other person to be there, regardless of who they are or what kind of relationship you have with them, or if none, what capacity they are present in, you must plan for some type of refreshment immediately following the ceremony, at your own expense, not theirs. And if it's at a meal time, then you must serve them a meal.
  • Options
    You have to host your guests after the ceremony.  They are taking time out of their day to see you marry.....you thank them by hosting them for some cake and punch (if it's not a mealtime) or a simple lunch/dinner if it is.  To not do so would be extremely rude.  If you want a reception next year, why not have the ceremony then too?  If you really need to do it this year, please host your guests afterwards or keep it private with no guests!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards