Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

What day is better for a wedding? **POLL**

The Venue we are really interested in doesn't do Saturday night weddings :( (it's a restaurant) Want to get an idea of what most people would prefer. I think we would prefer the Fri evening. It's not a destination wedding, but about 45 min from where we live. Nobody has to drive more than an hour (if that helps your decision) TIA

What day is better for a wedding? **POLL** 63 votes

Friday Evening
31% 20 votes
Saturday afternoon
58% 37 votes
Sunday Evening
9% 6 votes

Re: What day is better for a wedding? **POLL**

• Options
    Depends what kind of vibe you are wanting.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    Depends what kind of vibe you are wanting.
    This.  What kind of wedding are you having/wanting?  A blow out party with lots of drinking and dancing?  Something a bit more subdue and laid back?

Honestly, if it was me I would have the Saturday afternoon wedding and then have an after party for those that would want to continue partying.  I wouldn't be thrilled about driving an hour on a Friday because that would most likely mean I would have to leave work a few hours early.  And then Sunday evening I wouldn't want to be out late because I would have to get up early the next day for work.

• Options
    Our venue also doesn't hold Saturday evening weddings in the dining room we chose (you'd have to have 300+ people for a Saturday evening wedding). We're going with Saturday afternoon. 
  • Options
    Friday evening means people taking a half or whole day off of work.  While I'm fine doing that for weddings the upside of a local wedding is that you don't have to use any vacation time for it.  Plus, people who did work part of the day are going to be tired and not want to be out very late.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so torn. We want an evening wedding, but I know it sucks to have people leave work early. Some may have to take the whole day. Then again, I think well, it's mostly family and a few close friends (small wedding 40 people) so they would be ok with it? I don't know!

I just like the vibe better in evening weddings. I've been to a few day weddings and as nice as they were, you didn't have that fun with drinks and dancing!!
  • Options
    it's also cheaper Fri night, than Sat day!
  • Options
    I feel like you've made your decision. Friday night.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We started our wedding at 3pm on Saturday.  People were drinking and dancing until about 8:30-9pm.  Some people went out after to local clubs.  

Friday weddings are a pain in the ass, in my opinion.  If you start it any earlier than 8pm, I'm taking half day off work.   Then, I need to rush home in friday commute traffic, get cleaned up, feed the dogs, feed myself, if necessary, shower, change, and then drive another 45-60 minutes to your wedding.   
  • Options
    I have gone to a Friday evening wedding , it was a good wedding. The only problem with that is I work Saturdays. I had to take two days off instead of one. I will be going to a Sunday wedding starting at 2 in the church. The reception starts t 4 I am only going because she is a wonderful person. We are leaving early work on Monday. If you have a Sunday wedding do it early. Saturday is best.
  • Options
    We are still deciding, but we are leaning towards Friday. After more thought, we said "hey look, it's a wedding, a once in a life time thing. I hope people will  understand and not be upset about having to leave work early!" Also it's mostly family and some close friends, I think they will all be ok with it!

• Options
    I wouldn't mind leaving work half a day early for a wedding, it just means my weekend started earlier and I still have the whole weekend free!

My fav wedding that I've gone to was a Sat morning, lunch at noon. It ended before 4/5 pm, but the B&G invited us out afterwards for an after party. We attended and it was awesome.
  • Options
    I really don't like afternoon weddings.  They feel like they take up the whole day.  Evening weddings allow your guests to do something else before the wedding.
  • Options
    I think it comes down to what kind of guests you are inviting. We are going with a Sunday evening but all of our guests are either from out of town or retired (mostly) so no worries about work the next day! Plus, there is NO WAY I could have afforded my venue on a Friday/Saturday. I think that's all unnecessary hype with an extra charge. I'm saving THOUSANDS by doing it on Sunday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I should also note that I went to a cousin's wedding on a Sunday night and everyone at their wedding partied like mad crazy very late into the night...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so torn. We want an evening wedding, but I know it sucks to have people leave work early. Some may have to take the whole day. Then again, I think well, it's mostly family and a few close friends (small wedding 40 people) so they would be ok with it? I don't know!

I just like the vibe better in evening weddings. I've been to a few day weddings and as nice as they were, you didn't have that fun with drinks and dancing!!

Just b/c they are family & friends doesn't mean they are ok with it. I could leave work early for a wedding if I had to, my job would have a fit about it though. People can't always get the time off and it's rude to expect them to.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards