Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Disagreement with fiance's parents over where to have the rehearsal dinner...

I'm just going to come right out and say it, my family has a lot of money and my fiancé's family does not. That being said, they have much higher taste than my family. (We're a bunch of cheapskates.) Since they're paying for the rehearsal dinner, they want to have it at this fancy place. When my fiancé and I tried to talk to them about having it someplace cheaper, they were insulted. They were like "you only get married once, you're going to have a nice rehearsal dinner!" But we CAN have a nice dinner someplace else that has better food and is cheaper and that we like better. I really don't like fancy restaurants. They think they need to "impress" everyone. I have told them that my parents would be more impressed by them saving money instead of spending it (which is true), but they don't buy it. Any advice?

Re: Disagreement with fiance's parents over where to have the rehearsal dinner...

• Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm just going to come right out and say it, my family has a lot of money and my fiancé's family does not. That being said, they have much higher taste than my family. (We're a bunch of cheapskates.) Since they're paying for the rehearsal dinner, they want to have it at this fancy place. When my fiancé and I tried to talk to them about having it someplace cheaper, they were insulted. They were like "you only get married once, you're going to have a nice rehearsal dinner!" But we CAN have a nice dinner someplace else that has better food and is cheaper and that we like better. I really don't like fancy restaurants. They think they need to "impress" everyone. I have told them that my parents would be more impressed by them saving money instead of spending it (which is true), but they don't buy it. Any advice?
    My advice is to let them host the rehearsal dinner where they want to host it. You can either accept that they're hosting and let them do what they'd like (and pick the restaurant), or you can decline their offer and decide to host it yourself.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    If they are paying and want to do it someplace nicer, what's the big deal?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    It's their money and they are hosting. You need to drop it and just let them plan it.

• Options
    Yeah I don't get it-- they are hosting, shouldn't they have it where they want?

Are you afraid your family will judge them for spending what they, in the eyes of your family, can't afford?  That's pretty awful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    ScoutFScoutF member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    If they are paying for it, you need to say thanks and back off. Who has more money and what they like to do with said money has nothing to do with it. Be grateful and stay out of it. 
  • Options
    Say thank you and be happy they are paying for it. Let them have it where they want since it is their money.
  • Options
    Let them throw their money around in the manner of their choosing. It probably won't feel QUITE as hoity-toity if it's bigger group.

That said, free food?
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Let them host the dinner they want to host! It's their budget. For all you know, they could have been saving for this! Maybe it is very important for them.
  • Options
    I also don't understand what your issue is. You should be grateful they are offering to host your dinner. If you want it somewhere else, decline their offer but you don't get to dictate the terms of their gift to you.
  • Options
    I think (from the little I've read) that this may be all they can contribute and it means a lot to them.  They're grown, they can decide how and where to spend money.

I say relax, enjoy some food, some drinks, and the fact that your in-laws are excited to be hosting something for you!
    Anniversary

• Options
    FI's family made an offer and you accepted. Guess what? They are hosting and paying so they get to do what they want. If you don't like their plans, then decline their offer. Although you will more than likely offend them yet again. Is that really how you want to start your marriage? 

Really you have no right to tell your FI's parents how to spend their money. Just let it go, be grateful for their offer and stop causing drama.

• Options
    slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    beethery said:
    Let them throw their money around in the manner of their choosing. It probably won't feel QUITE as hoity-toity if it's bigger group.

That said, free food?
    Side note, @Beethery, your taste in drag queens is impeccable.  

Anniversary

• Options
    beethery said:

That said, free food?

I would've responded with the leeeeegendary "Gimme my pocketbook, I'm leavin'" gif but I 1. can't find it and 2. it isn't the correct response to this loooooooovely compliment lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:
    beethery said:

That said, free food?

I would've responded with the leeeeegendary "Gimme my pocketbook, I'm leavin'" gif but I 1. can't find it and 2. it isn't the correct response to this loooooooovely compliment lol
    "A pineapple dress???"

Gah I spent about five minutes looking for it too, but quickly got distracted 'cause it's almost quittin' time.

That said, Juju gifs are always appreciated as well.  

And now I'll be done derailing this thread.
    Anniversary

• Options
    It's really not up to you to decide how much money anyone should spend-even on you.

If you don't like the food or service at the restaurant they want to host the dinner at, that's one thing, but if it's that they propose to pay, out of their own pockets, some amount of money that you think is higher than it should be, that's not your business because the money is not coming out of your pocket.  Other people are entitled to have a higher standard of living than you, and they are not necessarily choosing to "impress" other people by choosing more expensive facilities than you would have.
  • Options
    This was a terribly rude thing to say to them. Instead you should say thank you for hosting a party in our honor and then STFU.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    It's really not up to you to decide how much money anyone should spend-even on you.

If you don't like the food or service at the restaurant they want to host the dinner at, that's one thing, but if it's that they propose to pay, out of their own pockets, some amount of money that you think is higher than it should be, that's not your business because the money is not coming out of your pocket.  Other people are entitled to have a higher standard of living than you, and they are not necessarily choosing to "impress" other people by choosing more expensive facilities than you would have.

STUCK IN BOX

I agree with all of this, except... if you have been to this restaurant and don't like the food/ service, you may mention that, and perhaps your in laws will take that into consideration (indeed, it would be kind of them to do so). But, it is also possible that your future in laws  have been there themselves and loved it. In which case, they are still the hosts, they are still paying, so they get to make the final choice. 

Really though, that doesn't seem to be the issue. It sounds like its a money thing, which you need to let go of. They know their finances, and can decide what they want to spend. 
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    If it IS the issue that it is this particular restaurant you don't like, maybe look into and suggest similarly priced places that have similar atmospheres where you do like the food.
  • Options
    If they're paying, they get to pick the place. That being said, are there any nice cheap restaurants where your rehearsal is taking place? We decided to just do hoss's and I promoted that idea, mainly because my FILS do not know my home town and I knew they love to go to hoss's. Cheap, everyone will eat something, no worries about dietary needs (my brother is gluten free and dairy free) and no worries about alcohol prices.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Their money, their decision. Unfortunately, I think the only way out of it this is paying for it yourselves. TBH, I don't think it's the end of the world if they want to pay for it and have it someplace nicer. The only way I would have a problem with it would be if your guests weren't being properly hosted. Otherwise, I would just bite the bullet and let them have it where they want to have it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If they're paying, they get to choose the place. 
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    zitiqueen said:

Oh dear God, I hope you're joking.
    Yes to this. OP, I think it could really offend your future in law's to say something like that... as if anything they do is to impress your parents, or that you just see anything they do for you as trying to impress your family. Why should they be trying to impress your parents? If you already did say that, well, too late. But I most definitely would not say something like that again. 
  • Options
    KaurisKauris member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It is also unkind of you to discuss your FI's parent's finances with your parents, plus, if your parents judge it, then you should not discuss that with your FI OR his parents. 
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:

Hoollleeee shit. I didn't even see that the first time. I also hope you didn't actually say that to your in-laws. WOW. 
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:

Hoollleeee shit. I didn't even see that the first time. I also hope you didn't actually say that to your in-laws. WOW. 
  • Options
    zitiqueen said:

Shiiiiit, how did I miss that on my first read through.

Anniversary

• Options
    bride2b71614bride2b71614 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I am with all PPs in which you should understand that those who pay get the final say. As for your behavior towards your FI's family? Its an honest shame that your money couldn't buy you class with this scenario. Did you seriously tell your FI's family that your parents would be more impressed if they saved money rather than spent it? You could have just said thank you, but instead, you decided that it would be a better idea to tell them where to host it in order to impress your parents. To me, that is all kinds of fucked up. No one is entitled to a rehearsal dinner, and since your FI's family was kind enough to pick up the tab (and if you actually told them that they should host it elsewhere), I would suggest apologizing to them ASAP and then telling them how grateful you are, rather than bitching and moaning about how you don't like where the rehearsal dinner is being held. 

• Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OP, I'm going to try to give you the benefit of the doubt and hope that it was not your intention to come across to us, or to your FI's family as bratty and ungrateful. But it appears that you have. You are also coming across as very micro-managing about a generous, thoughtful, kind gift.

You may accept or decline their offer to host. Regardless, I advise you keep your mouth shut about your judgement about their financial choices moving forward.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards