Chit Chat
Options

"Stock the bar" party

Just wondering if you guys have heard of this. I recently heard about it from a friend who's getting married next year and is planning to do this. Apparently the bride and groom throw a party/dinner/whathaveyou and everyone invited is supposed to bring a bottle of something for them to "stock up" for their future wedding. I mean, really, why not just have a BYOB wedding since that's essentially what you are doing?!! Ugh.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: "Stock the bar" party

• Options
    Terrible idea. Terribly rude
  • Options
    Just say no.

• Options
    Gawd no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I do not mind stock the bar for housewarmings, but to stock the bar for a hosted event like a wedding I would find tacky.

How does that work anyway?   Any bottle of booze DH would bring he would expect to drink at that time. If  DH comes over to your house 1 or 2 more times and that bottle would be gone long before your wedding.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ew, for their wedding or for their house?? I'd like the idea as a shower, cuz booze is way more fun to get than pot holders... but not to stock the wedding. No no no.

• Options
    No, NO! 

Honestly? Even if this were remotely acceptable as a "stock up for the wedding" thing, I would decline. I like what I like, and I have no use for a bar full of nothing but Jaymo and inferior vodkas.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I feel like a stock the bar party would be lost on our friends. It would be consumed at least partially the evening they bring it over. And also I agree with PP. Okay for housewarming, not okay for a wedding.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I've heard of this in a different way. Basically as a shower, but you help "stock the bar" for them to use for future entertaining. The idea being you can bring anything one would find at a bar. Cocktail napkins, a shaker, hell even a bag of ice. And of course booze. 

I've only been to one (like described above) no other registery info was given, we brought two bottles of booze and some funny cocktail napkins. It was a good time and some people got creative with their gifts. Like someone got them an iTunes gift card for "good bar jams". Kind of like a lingerie shower, but co-ed.

What you described though is just tacky as all get out. I'll just bring my own bottle of booze to your wedding and drink on it all night.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Ew.  I'm just really sick of this new trend where people expect everyone else to pay for the stuff they can't get.  Can't afford alcohol?  Have a dry wedding and quit expecting everyone else to pay for it for you.

I understand wanting stuff you can't afford.  But seriously, when I want something I can't afford, I either suck it up and don't get the thing (And you know what, I've NEVER lost any sleep over that) or I save up money for it because frankly, if I don't care about owning the thing enough to cut back on spending money elsewhere, clearly I don't want it enough to warrant spending that much.

I'm sick of seeing adults who think they're mature enough to get married, act as if they're entitled to everyone else's money just because they want something.  
  • Options
    Yeah, it would be for their wedding! I had honestly never heard of this before...but the bride is really into Pinterest so maybe that's where the idea came from? I just hope I'm not invited!!!

• Options
    MagicInk said:
    I've heard of this in a different way. Basically as a shower, but you help "stock the bar" for them to use for future entertaining. The idea being you can bring anything one would find at a bar. Cocktail napkins, a shaker, hell even a bag of ice. And of course booze. 

I've only been to one (like described above) no other registery info was given, we brought two bottles of booze and some funny cocktail napkins. It was a good time and some people got creative with their gifts. Like someone got them an iTunes gift card for "good bar jams". Kind of like a lingerie shower, but co-ed.

What you described though is just tacky as all get out. I'll just bring my own bottle of booze to your wedding and drink on it all night.
    That is something I would go to.   Stock the bar for the actual wedding, no.  Just no.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I don't mind it as a shower theme or maybe even a housewarming theme (although I get housewarming is not a gift-giving occasion in all circles).  But for the actual wedding?  Noooooo.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ew.  I'm just really sick of this new trend where people expect everyone else to pay for the stuff they can't get.  Can't afford alcohol?  Have a dry wedding and quit expecting everyone else to pay for it for you.

I understand wanting stuff you can't afford.  But seriously, when I want something I can't afford, I either suck it up and don't get the thing (And you know what, I've NEVER lost any sleep over that) or I save up money for it because frankly, if I don't care enough about owning the thing enough to cut back on spending money elsewhere, clearly I don't want it enough to warrant spending that much.

I'm sick of seeing adults who think they're mature enough to get married, act as if they're entitled to everyone else's money just because they want something.  
    eyeroll
  • Options

Not cute.  Not OK.
    Anniversary

• Options
    MagicInk said:

This. I've been to a few shower & house warming parties like this and didn't blink an eye about it. Never a wedding, though. Ew.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Would not have a problem for a housewarming or shower. 

Huge problem with wedding. Like. Wut. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Like for a shower or housewarming. Dislike for wedding booze.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    No words.
  • Options
    A group of ladies I know threw me a "Stock the Bar" wedding shower. We meet quarterly for dinner and drinks and it made absolute sense. I was given lots of different liquors as well as bar stuff (glasses, napkins, etc.). It was really fun and appreciated. So, when done in that fashion, I'm all for it. Agree with PPs though that it's not cool for the intent of providing the reception alcohol.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

^^ This sounds like a fun theme for a housewarming party!
  • Options
    Ew, for their wedding or for their house?? I'd like the idea as a shower, cuz booze is way more fun to get than pot holders... but not to stock the wedding. No no no.
    This.  First, it's a shower, so they shouldn't be throwing it themselves.  

Second, it should be to stock the bar at their house (for their own drinking or for future entertaining) not to throw the wedding.  

I'm just as happy to bring vodka as a toaster to a shower, but don't hit me up for both.  For a shower, I'll even dress the vodka up with some stuffed olives and martini glasses.  
  • Options
    I've heard of it for housewarming parties, but never for an actual wedding. Super tacky

Anniversary

• Options
    I would love which ever friend of mine planned this as a shower for us....forever. They could ask for a kidney even - I'd probably share.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I went to a stock the bar bridal shower where she asked for bar things and alcohol instead of registering for the usual gifts. The alcohol was absolutely not for the wedding; the wedding was beautifully hosted with an open bar. It was honestly the most fun bridal shower I've ever been to.
  • Options
    I've heard of Stock the Bar in place of a shower or for a housewarming but not to actually get alcohol to serve at the wedding. I think it's a really fun idea in most cases, just not the one described in the OP.

• Options
    I think I'd bring Strawberry Hill and Hpnotiq.
    eyeroll
  • Options
    I've heard of a Stock the Bar for a housewarming and I'm not a fan of them at all.
    For the actual wedding, though? No freaking way. I also won't bring a bag of M&Ms for the favors or flowers for the bouquets.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

FI's sister is throwing us a Stock the Bar shower. Except it is to stock our house for future entertaining. Most people have told her that they are getting us a set of wine glasses (or other type of bar related glassware) and a bottle of something. Then we're having a bonfire and eating BBQ. I may ask her to just not call it Stock the Bar and just a regular shower.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards