Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Dresses

Hello! I recently found a bridesmaid dress that I am absolutely in love with and so are my girls! Here is the problem, I am getting married next September, so 2015. I have a long ways to go but these dresses are from last spring and I don't know how long they will last at the salon. Not to mention the only bridal salon that carries this particular dress has a buy 4 get the 5th free and that is only for the month of June. Should I just go ahead and order them or what do you think? Thoughts please?

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2014
    You should definitely ask the bridesmaids in question, as presumably they will be paying for them. Make sure that you talk to each of them one on one (no mass email) and that you're sure that they are within the bridesmaid's budget. And even if they are not paying, and you are footing the bill, they will be wearing them, so you should check with them individually about sizing and making sure that they are actually comfortable with the style of the dress. Some problems with ordering a dress so early that you might want to consider if they all individually okay the dress are: bodies change and weight fluctuates and your taste could change from now until next September.
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    It is too soon to get dresses.  Not to mention, like PP said, you need to talk to each girl individually and get their budgets and their preferences.  I would never pay for a dress that I would not wear for 16 months.  Bodies change. Styles change.  Wedding plans change.

I know you are excited, but you need to slow your roll.  Here is the thing about the wedding industry.  They make you think that you have to buy whatever they are selling right now.  They are banking on the fact that you will want the deal so desperately that you will not think about it.  You spend the money and a month later, you decide you don't want peach and teal.  Now you want red and black.  It is called creating a sense of urgency. They make you want it buy it before you have a chance to talk yourself out of it.

That dress that you are dying for today?  There will be another one 6-8 months out from the wedding that you will love.

The truth is that most every dress vendor, let me say that again, most every dress vendor has sales.  As you go through the planning process, you will see that you will always find a deal on dresses.  This is true for a lot of the things you will buy for the wedding. Heck, the Knot is always running some kind on sale on their favors and other wedding trinkets.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Consider the fact that you are more than a year out from your wedding. That's a long time. As someone who's engagement is lasting 22 months (with four months to go), I can tell you I've changed my mind about a lot of things throughout the planning process, including but not limited to our entire color scheme. You may find yourself planning a different style wedding than you originally planned. That said, you may want to hold off on purchasing BM dresses. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards