Chit Chat
Options

Thursday Chit Chat

Re: Thursday Chit Chat

• Options
    beethery said:
    pinkcow13 said:
    beethery said:
    FI is done with night shift!!!!! until next week. Poop. Tonight's agenda: Grocery shopping, Costco, P90x (fuck my whole life I hate working out) Tomorrow: Rib fest thing? With friends? I like ribs. I gotta make sure I wear a black shirt because I'm going to look like TrueBlood Billith from all the BBQ sauce. Saturday: Father's Day cookout with FI's family. I am still irritated w them about boundaries. Remind me to tell you guys what his mom said about registry info. There will be small chuckles and inner cringing. Sunday: I think FI is going back to work, so I'm going to watch James Bond movies with my dad.
    Oh boy, I'm curious!
    I mentioned that I was pricing shit out for the wedding and she was jazzy about it, so that was good.

She's been really hands off because I've said for MONTHS before we even got engaged that we've got a very clear vision of what we want to do for everything, so it's really just going to be booking/paying for shit when the time comes to plan.

It's odd because she's got boundary issues in other areas, but I think she got the hint early that we're not really looking for assistance and that "We'd prefer if they just came to the wedding and enjoyed themselves" aka the script for "I don't recall asking for your thoughts on this shit, bye."

Anyway, I mentioned that FI and I don't really need a registry. We have everything we need for the house, and since we are planning to do renovations and then sell, we don't need to do what FSIL did and tell anyone who could hear that she REALLYREALLY wanted a bridal shower thrown for her and then ask for plants/garden tools/home improvement store gift cards.

FMIL was cool with us not needing a registry and the fact that I really do not want a bridal shower. However, she follows that with, "That's fine, you'll just need to put on the STD's and invitations that there's no registry and you'd prefer cash"

To which, I'm pretty sure I had this exact same reaction:

And then was like yeah, don't need to do that. If anyone asks, we can say we don't need anything for the house but we're saving up for the honeymoon.

"OOH! That's a good way of saying it, you ought to put that on the invitations!"

I'm glad I'm doing the invitations myself, because she ain't right on this. No no no. No forever. 'Preciate it, but we ain't doing that.

Also, she informed us that she and FFIL will provide the alcohol for our reception because she did that for FBIL, and she will gift us the cash amount equal to what she spent on FSIL's bridal shower and we can put that towards the honeymoon or whatever. So some good with the bad! Least she didn't suggest a honeyfund. I'm glad she doesn't do the internet much, because I know she would have heard of that.
    Oh lord, NO. Terrible advice. FI and I went to a graduation party a few weekends ago, and we received an invitation for it in the mail. At first I thought the invitation was really cute and sweet, and then I saw the insert inside. Some cutesy poem about essentially giving a cash gift to help the graduate pay for law school. Um, NO.

At least there was some good news though! That's really nice of them to provide the alcohol and give you guys a little spending money :)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @pinkcow13 Yup! I really do appreciate that, it is super generous and nice of them. I gotta work on a really good thank you card and a gift for them for being so kind.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Jells2dot0 - that does sound glamorous! I wish I were doing that right now.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I decided to work from home today so I can drive FI to his dentist appointment. He's being put under so he needs me to drive him around. After that, we're having a friend's tween/teen kids over to hang out with FSS. I'd normally avoid having people over after he has major dental work but we're helping our friend get out for a date- her kids are normally so nosy that it's hard for her to be discreet!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Today has been the strangest day. First I overslept which is strange for me. When got up I went to make myself a cup of coffee and I realized we were out of coffee. Odd but no big deal. I just stopped at Starbucks on my way to work. I get to work and there is an opossum sitting in a cage/carrier thing at the door. It if one of my co-workers pets. So I've been hiding on my office until the opossum is gone.
  • Options
    Oooh! Another update! So excited!

UPS said that my invitations should arrive today! Woohoo!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Today has been the strangest day. First I overslept which is strange for me. When got up I went to make myself a cup of coffee and I realized we were out of coffee. Odd but no big deal. I just stopped at Starbucks on my way to work. I get to work and there is an opossum sitting in a cage/carrier thing at the door. It if one of my co-workers pets. So I've been hiding on my office until the opossum is gone.
    Omg that is so weird... but aren't those creatures so cute? Are they safe though? I didn't know you could have one as a pet....
    wandajune6 - that's really nice of you guys, to help your friend out! Hopefully her date goes well :)
    And yay for invitations!!!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    @pinkcow13 they're cute until they do the creepy smile.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    jdluvr06 said:
    Omg that is so weird... but aren't those creatures so cute? Are they safe though? I didn't know you could have one as a pet....
    wandajune6 - that's really nice of you guys, to help your friend out! Hopefully her date goes well :)
    And yay for invitations!!!

They are kind of ugly-cute but I have a bit of opossum fear. They are scary. Lol. My co-worker swears he is a sweet little thing but I'm not going to find that out first hand. I didn't know you could have them as pets either. Apparently an average person can't but co-worker does wildlife rehabilitation (this was news to me. I had no idea he did that) and the opossum couldn't be released back to the wild so he is now a pet.
  • Options
    Jells2dot0 good luck with the chemo.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

Thanks @lyndausvi !!!!

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

Thanks @lyndausvi !!!!
    Jells2dot0- so I had no idea. So sorry to hear you are going through that- it really sucks! Hopefully Knotting can provide you some good entertainment :)
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    lyndausvi said:

Thanks @lyndausvi !!!!
    Jells2dot0- so I had no idea. So sorry to hear you are going through that- it really sucks! Hopefully Knotting can provide you some good entertainment :)
    Jells2dot0 - I missed your post too. I'm also wishing you good luck and sending lots of positive vibes! I'm sure Knotting will provide tons of entertainment!

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    We had a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE one get into the hav-a-heart trap we set out last year. I walked out to free him and he was grinning at me. I'm not afraid of them at all but that grin is just something else.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Possums creep me right the fuck out. Giant mutant rats.

• Options
    I have seen the opossum grin. The one in here is grinning at everyone *shivers*. Everyone is determined to make me try to be friends with this thing. They are all out there petting it and giving it treats. It is creepy.
  • Options
    Random question - Who had been whitewater rafting?

I've never been.  Going on Monday.  Just saw the run.   Yeah, I'm freaking out a little.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    @lyndausvi, I've been! I've been like 3 or 4 times. FI's cousin sets up a trip most summers, and we go to Pennsylvania. I also went in Costa Rica. It is tons of fun! And very tiring. Do you know what category rapids they are?
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    pinkcow13 said:
    @lyndausvi, I've been! I've been like 3 or 4 times. FI's cousin sets up a trip most summers, and we go to Pennsylvania. I also went in Costa Rica. It is tons of fun! And very tiring. Do you know what category rapids they are?
    Cat IV.  

Freaking out.  I've never been,  We are going with people from the club and they made the reservations.  They know I've never been.  So I'm not sure how we ended up on this run.   Plus the rivers are running high right now.  There is a 6 foot drop at one point.  Yikes.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

Random question - Who had been whitewater rafting?

I've never been.  Going on Monday.  Just saw the run.   Yeah, I'm freaking out a little.  
    I've been a few times- class iv. So much fun! The drops are scary, but once you are in them, it's such a rush!! I even went down a class iii in a single "ducky" raft. I tipped on that one. Lol

• Options
    Oh yikes.....I did Cat IV once, but I think the river was not running high. I never had a 6 foot drop (that I'm aware of). It will still be loads of fun, I think it sounds pretty awesome! As long as you have a firm grip, you'll be fine! It really is a blast. Last year I think we did 3. We are thinking of going to a different place this year so that we can try the next level up.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    We start up at like 9000+ feet and go about 6 miles. It's only 30 minutes from our place.   I'm sure it will be fun.  Just a little nerve racking.

• Options
    @lyndausvi‌ it is so much fun!!! I haven't done it in years but it is a blast!
  • Options
    We just got back from our yearly volunteer day.  I wish I could have gone home afterwards but we went back to the office to work (or in my case, go on TK).
  • Options
    Today is going alright for me, I suppose. Work is painfully slow, has been for a while and is worse now that summer is here. (I work at a community college, so when students aren't here there is very little for me to do.) I really, really want a new job...an actual counseling job...to do, you know, what I spent two years in grad school and countless internship hours learning to do. (Right now I'm just a program coordinator who gets to plan special events and activities as well as coordinate our peer mentor program.) I just want to be a school counselor! Is that too much to ask? The counseling world is stupidly competitive.

On the bright side, my Dh has been particularly sweet this week. I walked in last night and the entire second floor of our house had been vacuumed and all my plants had been watered. They are little things, but it meant I actually got to relax on the couch instead of chores. It was so nice!
  • Options
    The opossum is gone! Yay! I can safely leave my office now.
  • Options
    arrippa, that sounds nice, was it through work? 
    chibiyui - I LOVE those shoes! And they look comfy!
    SapphireCounselor - That is so sweet of DH! I've heard that counseling is highly competitive, one of my friends is actually trying to break into that field, herself. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    The opossum is gone! Yay! I can safely leave my office now.
    Awww, I was going to ask if you made friends yet ;)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards