Wedding Reception Forum
Options

A what kind of bar?

I'm "learning" all kinds of bizarre things from WW, I have to check here to see if most are actually real things. For today's is this a real thing...an Honor bar...kind of a cash bar, but you pay whatever you want at the beginning and then drink whatever. As described on WW:

"Honour bar- people pay what they want. It usually works out people 'donate' $20 and drink whatever they want all night. Some will contribute nothing, others more. It normally works out to $2/drink and we cover most of the bar expenses." http://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-forums/open-bar-cash-bar-limited-bar/6282b26ecb73364f.html?page=3

I think this is probably worse than a cash bar. Opinions? Not that I'd consider any of that nonsense, but just curious.

Re: A what kind of bar?

• Options
    It's expecting people to help pay for your reception and is just as inappropriate as a cash bar.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    It's expecting people to help pay for your reception and is just as inappropriate as a cash bar.
    Yup.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would definitely be in the "contribute nothing" camp for that. 
  • Options
    Yea, if you don't contribute do you get kicked out or called out? Ostracized because you went to a party with bad hosts. I'd probably drink more, feel good about just tipping the bartender.
  • Options
    I've been on honor bars before. Yep, in the islands a bunch of beach bars are like that. But never to a hosted event though. That is tacky.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    So, not only does it expect the guests to pay but it tacks on an extra layer for guilt?

Classy.
  • Options
    I've only seen those at room parties at conventions. And they don't even outright say 'pay what you can' or anything like that. They just have a jar somewhere, often not even very visibly placed. Not cool for an actual hosted event.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards