Getting in Shape
Options

Need weigh lose tips/suggestions/motiviation. Help Please?! :)

Hey Ladies,

I have not set my date yet, but more than likely am looking at April 2016. I have been slowly trying to get myself into shape for the past 6 months just for general health reasons, but I figured maybe my wedding the motiviation i need!

I just find it hard to work out with working all week, if anyone has tips, or suggestions please feel free to share! Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Or if anyone is looking for a support buddy please feel free to contact me :)

Thanks!!

Re: Need weigh lose tips/suggestions/motiviation. Help Please?! :)

• Options
    I work out with a trainer twice a week. It helps keep me disciplined and she keeps me motivated. 

Do you work long hours? If you don't want to work out after work, maybe you can go in the morning or during lunch? 

You can always make excuses to not exercise. "I'm tired" "I had a long day" "It's raining", etc. But if you make it a priority, it's easy to fit in a little time each day. Even if I'm only able to do 30 mins of cardio, it's at least something, you know? 
  • Options
    I found that I had to make it as easy on myself as possible to get the workout in.  

I am NOT a morning person.  Never have been, never will be.  I have a hard time convincing myself to get out of bed to get to work on time, which means getting up to work out will not happen.  That means, after work is my only option.  

I bring my workout clothes with me and go straight to the gym.  If I go home before the gym, it is too likely that I will find reasons not to leave the house again.

Don't set unrealistic expectations for frequency either.  When I first started working out, my goal was twice a week.  That seemed easy enough, and  I was always able to meet that goal.  After a couple weeks, I added another day.  I was already doing it twice a week, so adding one more day wasn't an issue.  I kept adding days until I worked out 5 days a week and took 2 off.  If I had just jumped into squeezing it in 5 days a week, it wouldn't have worked.  I would have missed days, felt like a failure, and just quit.

I also started small in time commitment.  At first I would go for a 20 minute walk around the neighborhood before I started dinner, or while the oven was preheating.  Or I would do a 20 minute exercise video or Wii Zumba before dinner.  Then I increased to a 45 minute video or Wii Zumba, and a longer walk after dinner.  After a while, I was spending an hour and a half at the gym each day getting in my cardio for an hour and strength training for a half hour.  Everything seemed much more manageable after I was already dedicating just 20 minutes, or 45 minutes, or an hour to working out.

TL;DR  Know yourself, and pick the time of day that will work best for you. Start small in both number of days of working out and length of time, then work up from there.  Once you have a routine of getting it in, you suddenly realize you do have the time to workout and the number of days and length of time can get longer.
  • Options

Thanks Ladies!

It is hard for me to wake up extra early. I also cancelled my gym membership not that long ago bc I hate the crowded gym and never went so felt like it was a waste of money. I have a wii fit board and a few workout games & dvds. I also have been trying to get my fiancée to take walks after dinner with me!

But I like starting out small is def the best option! :)

• Options
    MyFitness App saved my diet. It helped keep me accountable and was super easy to lose. I am not a dieter and hated the idea of not drinking wine and eating chocolate. For the app, it records all of your calories (it can even scan barcodes and search for dishes from restaurants). I was able to lose 20 pounds in 4 months with it!
  • Options

Hey Ladies,

I have not set my date yet, but more than likely am looking at April 2016. I have been slowly trying to get myself into shape for the past 6 months just for general health reasons, but I figured maybe my wedding the motiviation i need!

I just find it hard to work out with working all week, if anyone has tips, or suggestions please feel free to share! Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Or if anyone is looking for a support buddy please feel free to contact me :)

Thanks!!

Right there with you!  I lost weight for my wedding but only after getting my dress in to find that it didn't fit.  That was motivation enough to get my ass to the gym after work almost every day as well as on the weekends.

What kind of exercise do you like?  Do you like to run?  Bike?  Workout classes?  Yoga/pilates? Since you don't belong to a gym anymore you should check out you local community college and see if they offer any group fitness classes that you could sign up for.  Go for walks during lunch to take a break from the office.  On the weekend make a point to get up and go for a walk/jog first thing in the morning.

But what is more important then working out is your eating habits.  Maybe cut out desserts except for once a week as a treat.  Cut back on your portion sizes.  Drink lots of water.  Eat a side salad at every meal to not only get in some veggies but to also help fill you up so you don't eat as much of the other things like potatoes or rice.  Don't eat after a certain time (say 8pm).  And maybe track your calorie intake for a few months to get a feel of what and how much you should be eating.  I am not a fan of eliminating anything from your daily diet.  What it comes down to is portion control and balance.

• Options
    @eandtdeschamps-- What fitness app do you use? I have downloaded one the other day, Noom. Remembering to use it is the hard part!! lol
  • Options
    @Maggie0829- I prefer to work out without people around me! lol I have a few fitness games for my wii I just need to get myself using them! I have also cut back on night time snacking and cut out soda. I have lost about 6 pounds since jan from cutting back on the snacking and drinking almost nothing but water. I cant make it thru the day without a cup of coffee in the morning, but other than that it is water all day long!
  • Options
    @Maggie0829- I prefer to work out without people around me! lol I have a few fitness games for my wii I just need to get myself using them! I have also cut back on night time snacking and cut out soda. I have lost about 6 pounds since jan from cutting back on the snacking and drinking almost nothing but water. I cant make it thru the day without a cup of coffee in the morning, but other than that it is water all day long!
    Oh I understand.  When I first take fitness classes I am in the way back corner and hope nobody notices me.  It is only when I get good at the routines and when I am in shape will I move up and feel awesome about people seeing me LOL.

That is great about the weight loss so far.  I am in the midst of trying to lose what I gained since my wedding and it sucks so bad.  I know the weight didn't go on over night but damn it seems like it takes twice as long to lose it as it does to put it on!

• Options
    @Maggie0829- It is definaltey easier to put it on than lose it!! And yes I will take any little negative difference in the scale :) I will more than likely not be getting married till Spring 2016 because my older sister got engaged before me so I will let her have her time. So I have time, I would also like to just change my habits and not go on a diet bc I don't want to lose it to just gain it all back.
  • Options
    Knottie16007283 - I use myfitnesspal
  • Options
    Clean eating and Focus T25 totally whipped me into shape!  I also used Shakeology for breakfast--which I was totally skeptical about but it totally worked.  It helped curbed my sweet tooth in the evenings (my down fall).

I also just posted about possibly pulling together a accountability group so we can keep each other motivated and encouraged.  The thread is titled "Accountability group to get in shape"... let me know if you might be interested. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards