Destination Weddings Discussions

Mexico: Going thru customs w/ wedding paraphanlia

We are flying in to Cancun in September with at least one checked bag containing DW related stuff. Anything from tulle chair bows, to welcome bag stuff, stuff for favors and even some sort of iPod dock / speaker thing. I didn't list everything but y'all get the point. Nothing is perishable, illegal, incendiary, etc. - I just know very little about what things need to be declared, what the protocol is, so on and so forth and want to make sure we have our i's dotted and our t's crossed. Thanks!

Re: Mexico: Going thru customs w/ wedding paraphanlia

• I heard on another board (bestdestinationwedding.com) that in Mexico if they check your bags you may have to present receipts to show the cost of whatever you are bringing in. I have heard other brides had to pay $300-$400 in duty charges.

You should be able to say that you're not leaving the items in the country, and that you're just using them for your wedding and then packing them up and taking them home. They can't possibly charge you duty if you're not leaving the items there.
  • I heard on another board (bestdestinationwedding.com) that in Mexico if they check your bags you may have to present receipts to show the cost of whatever you are bringing in. I have heard other brides had to pay $300-$400 in duty charges.

You should be able to say that you're not leaving the items in the country, and that you're just using them for your wedding and then packing them up and taking them home. They can't possibly charge you duty if you're not leaving the items there.
    Thank you! I actually searched over there after posting this. Really good to know because my original plan was to pack all the wedding paraphernalia in one suitcase that would assumably "belong" to either FI or I. Now I'm going to have to disperse thing between us. And maybe a few friends, although I don't think we'll have THAT much stuff. But we will have receipts for everything for sure!
  • I had no idea we needed to be prepared with receipts of what we are bringing into Mexico!  I'm brining items like first aid kits, maraccas, other items for the guest bags...I really need to bring all my receipts from purchasing those items???  EKKKKKKKK! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @soontobeamrs2012 The best option is to split everything up and try to hand out your bags prior to leaving. I really don't think they can charge you duty if you're not leaving the items there, but I don't know the answer to that for sure.
  • Do you have a planner you can ship stuff too ahead of time?
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Ugh, I wasn't aware of this either. I figured it would be ok to bring in anything I wanted. I will also have the stuff for welcome bags and favors. Has anyone actually been through this?? What was the process??
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards