Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Already married invites???

My husband and I got married on a beach in Thailand about 6 months ago and are having a 'party/reception' to celebrate with the people who couldn't make it. (about 100) We're just sending out a nice simple card invite and trying to come up with creative things...have thought about using "Eat, Drink and be (already) Married" Join us to celebrate,etc. etc. Any other ideas?

Re: Already married invites???

• Options
    My husband and I got married on a beach in Thailand about 6 months ago and are having a 'party/reception' to celebrate with the people who couldn't make it. (about 100) We're just sending out a nice simple card invite and trying to come up with creative things...have thought about using "Eat, Drink and be (already) Married" Join us to celebrate,etc. etc. Any other ideas?
    That wording doesn't make sense. It sounds like you're asking married people to come rather than announcing that you got married.

I'd stick with traditional wording so there's no room for confusion. Something like 
    FavouriteCake
    and
    FavouriteCake's H
    were married in a private ceremony on
    (date)

Please join them on 
    (date and time)
    at
    (location)
    for a celebration of their marriage.

• Options
    Do your guests know that you are already married?  Have you sent out wedding announcements?
    Assuming that they do know,

Mr. and Mrs. John Already Married
    request the pleasure of your company
    at a reception to celebrate their marriage
    Date
    time
    Venue
    Address
    City, State

Or, just send out fill-in invitations from the card shop.  Don't try to be cute about it.  It comes off too flippant.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Yes people know we're married. (wedding wasn't private, just not everyone could fly out to Thailand) This party is the 'celebration' of our marriage...my whole point was that we want something cute/quirky.  We are type of people who got married barefoot on a beach, e.g. not traditional!  

The 'eat drink and be (already) married' continues on to say 'for that is our plan' - so it insinuates that it's a celebration of the fact we're already married, and the italics implies that it's referring to us - not everyone has to be married.  Helps if you say it out loud.  
  • Options
    I don't think it's particularly confusing. I'm not about cute stuff, so it's not really to my taste, but I think people will get the drift. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    My husband and I got married a few years ago and had a PPD on a beach in Thailand about 6 months ago and are having a 'party/reception' to celebrate with the people who couldn't make it. (about 100) We're just sending out a nice simple card invite and trying to come up with creative things...have thought about using "Eat, Drink and be (already) Married" Join us to celebrate,etc. etc. Any other ideas?
    FTFY
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Yes people know we're married. (wedding wasn't private, just not everyone could fly out to Thailand) This party is the 'celebration' of our marriage...my whole point was that we want something cute/quirky.  We are type of people who got married barefoot on a beach, e.g. not traditional!  

The 'eat drink and be (already) married' continues on to say 'for that is our plan' - so it insinuates that it's a celebration of the fact we're already married, and the italics implies that it's referring to us - not everyone has to be married.  Helps if you say it out loud.  
    I get how you intend for it to be read, but it's still improper sentence structure. Fun and quirky is fine, but just find something besides "eat, drink, and be married" to play off of. FWIW, I don't like that wording either because only two of you are getting married while everyone is eating and drinking. I know people "get it," it just isn't right. It's only cute because it's so close to the original, and once you stray further from that it gets weird.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies.  I was on the fence about whether or not it made sense, so I may just scrap the idea and go with something simple.  Sometimes things make sense in your own head but it's good to hear your opinions!  

As I said we are pretty non-traditional people, so we thought something quite dry and almost sarcastic would be funny.  Basically - "Yeah, we're married and have been for a while, but we want to party on down with you now!"  We live 8,000 miles away from these people and only see them if but once a year...none of them got to celebrate with us the first time around so we just want to use this as an opportunity to have knees up with them to celebrate now!  

Cookie Pusher, this isn't a discussion about what we did and how we are referring to it now.  Thanks though.   
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies.  I was on the fence about whether or not it made sense, so I may just scrap the idea and go with something simple.  Sometimes things make sense in your own head but it's good to hear your opinions!  

As I said we are pretty non-traditional people, so we thought something quite dry and almost sarcastic would be funny.  Basically - "Yeah, we're married and have been for a while, but we want to party on down with you now!"  We live 8,000 miles away from these people and only see them if but once a year...none of them got to celebrate with us the first time around so we just want to use this as an opportunity to have knees up with them to celebrate now!  

Cookie Pusher, this isn't a discussion about what we did and how we are referring to it now.  Thanks though.   
    I understand not being completely traditional. I'd just let your party have some quirky elements, but I would keep the invitations simple. I sent invitations with standard wording to make it as easy as I could for guests. 

At my wedding, the things that aren't so traditional will still be there. My groom will have pink hair, groomsmen will have Mohawks, and the bridesmaids will wear mismatched dresses. Some people don't like that, but at least they will all know the what, when, and where. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards