Snarky Brides

Burlap, lace and everything Pinterest

I have a confession to make...I went back through my Pinterest board today and cleared out everything lace, burlap, tree logs, mason jars and cutesy sign-ish.  Oddly I felt really REALLY good about doing it.  Then I had a what in the *&%$# were you thinking moment.  I shall enjoy a captain & coke tonight to celebrate.

Re: Burlap, lace and everything Pinterest

• I'm proud of you, and I'll admit to liking some of it a couple years ago. Not anymore!

• Honestly, I love Mason jars with simple flower arrangements in them and I like tree slabs. There, I said it. Shoot me. I'm with you on the burlap and lace, however.
  • I actually don't mind any of these things on their own. I mind that pinterest has made these the things every bride every has to have for her rustic wedding...that's at a country club or a banquet hall.

I think the tinted mason jars are gorgeous.

• MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    I don't mind any of these things, they just aren't my taste. Except, maybe burlap. Burlap always reminds me of being a kid and having a potato sack race. The races were fun, but I hated how the sacks felt when they brushed my legs. I'm 25 now, and haven't had a potato sack race in over 15 years, but I still think of it.
  • Burlap reminds me of corn feed bags and those chicken feed bags I used to help my friends with on the farm. So scratchy and dusty... Thanks for reminding me to clean out my pinterest, lol!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I met with some ladies in my parish about a month ago to discuss decorations, and they kept throwing burlap out there.  I kept tacitly ignoring the burlap suggestions, and finally one of the ladies said "Girls, I don't think she's into the whole burlap, rustic thing!" 

Ya think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've had to clean out mine too, since I started a year and a half ago and had no idea the trends were done to death!  

My friend's sister is planning a rustic wedding in a banquet hall.  When she told me, I said, "Mmmm.  Have you tried the bean dip?"  

• I'll own that I'm totally on that bandwagon. Snark me if you want. I love it and I don't care. I wish it wasn't so overdone, but I still like it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• I love lace. I totally went vintagey with the motifs/decor of my wedding. But like I've said before on here, I FUCKING LOVE OLD STUFF.  I have a collection of milk glass and carnival glass. I went to flea markets all the time as a kid, and occasionally now that i'm older (busy, and you know. need a new house to do new decor) I have a fantastic milk glass floor lamp (that H hates) chilling in the laundry room right now.

I do fucking hate burlap though. 

Anniversary
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I love garage sales.  You can see the decorating fads spread out on people's driveways.  Remember macrame?  Rose and blue country color schemes.  Sometimes you even see avocado green and harvest gold from the '70s.  How about massive pine rustic furniture, stained dark?  Mediterranean?  What do you think will be in your garage sale in 20 years?  Definitely rolls of burlap and lace!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wait til you see my wedding then, burlap table runners, mason jars, and tree slabs! You may not like them, but they're gonna look gorgeous at my reception! I'll agree that everyone seems to be doing it, but I'm doing it because I genuinely like that style.
  • I used to work in a fabric store and I would silently curse out every person who brought me burlap because it's gross and itchy and was a pain in the ass to cut even. This was a long time ago and I think I would have to quit if I worked in a fabric store now because of all the burlap. Back when I worked there I only had to cut it maybe once a month, if that. 

I did do lace for my wedding, but there was no burlap, tree stumps, or a mason jar to be seen anywhere. I actually genuinely just love lace. I own several lace clothing items and I think it's beautiful. 
  • Lace totally belongs in a wedding. It shouldn't be lumped in with "burlap and lace."

• When I first saw them on Pinterest (years ago) I thought they looked kinda cute. Then two summers ago I went to a wedding where the entire thing was DIY Pinterest, Pinterest, Pinterest everything. Burlap, mason jars, chalkboards, stupid striped straws, stupid fake mustaches, hula hoop and Christmas light chandelier, etc. I snarked to FI the entire wedding about how it was a "pinterest explosion" and the bride didn't have a single thing that was personal or individual to her as a person. Blaaaahhh so bad. The occasional 1 item from Pinterest- fine. Dear God- not every detail! 

• My daughter carried an antique lace handkerchief that had belonged to her great-great grandmother.  It was exquisite!  She put it into her bouquet.

There are people who collect lace, and are very knowledgeable about handmade lace.  It is nothing like the cheap Chinese machine made lace we see today.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We are using lace. Lots of lace. I have more lace than any random 10 antique stores. I have an almost obsessive weakness for old lace. I hoard lace. We use it for ribbon on Christmas and birthday presents, so that it isn't going to waste. I have no fewer than six boxes of useless doilies. One drawer that holds nothing but antique handkerchiefs. Another drawer full of dresser scarves and napkins. I know I should stop, but just a week ago, I bought a lot of NOS lace still on the cards. Yay. Probably another 120 yards. (But soooo sweet, 100% cotton, French, pre WWII.)

Eventually, I'll sort it into lots and sell it, but for some reason I have a terrible time letting go of it. 

Daughter is not nearly as enchanted by lace as I am. Damn it. She is seriously limiting my lace using opportunity with this wedding. Yes to banners of lace, no to lace tablecloths. No to the table runners. I did sell her on the hanging lanterns, because they look really great with the light through the lace.

Hell yes, to the whole vintage/antique thing. I could probably decorate three weddings, with what's in the basement.
  • We are using lace. Lots of lace. I have more lace than any random 10 antique stores. I have an almost obsessive weakness for old lace. I hoard lace. We use it for ribbon on Christmas and birthday presents, so that it isn't going to waste. I have no fewer than six boxes of useless doilies. One drawer that holds nothing but antique handkerchiefs. Another drawer full of dresser scarves and napkins. I know I should stop, but just a week ago, I bought a lot of NOS lace still on the cards. Yay. Probably another 120 yards. (But soooo sweet, 100% cotton, French, pre WWII.)

Eventually, I'll sort it into lots and sell it, but for some reason I have a terrible time letting go of it. 

Daughter is not nearly as enchanted by lace as I am. Damn it. She is seriously limiting my lace using opportunity with this wedding. Yes to banners of lace, no to lace tablecloths. No to the table runners. I did sell her on the hanging lanterns, because they look really great with the light through the lace.

Hell yes, to the whole vintage/antique thing. I could probably decorate three weddings, with what's in the basement.
    Hey uh, I can be the first of those 3. ;);) I'm crushing on your lace hoard.

• I love lace! I do hate it paired with burlap, though.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited June 2014
    My wedding had mason jars.....but it was housing my MIL's homemade jam wedding favors :) what else was I going to put it in? haha

I think there is a way to tastefully do just about all of the "pinteresty" wedding stuff. People just go over the top and make it ridiculous.
  • I love lace, I like mason jars, I like tree stumps (little sis used them at her wedding). I even don't mind burlap and mason jars (cousin did that). But I think burlap and lace do NOT go together and everything together is just too overdone. I won't side eye it too much at a wedding but I would never use it for decor myself.
  • Correction...Burlap & lace together!  Like burlap lined with lace.  I think lace by itself is beautiful...And my dress has lace on it.  There's just a time and a place for everything!  :)  
  • My dress has lace on it and it's gorgeous, but that's probably the only place lace will be at my wedding. As for the burlap, I went wedding decor shopping with my mom and FMIL this past weekend and FMIL picked out soooooo much stinkin burlap saying, "Oh this is so pretty! and you know burlap is very 'in' for weddings right now." I politely explained that I didn't really care for burlap because it's so rough, but I thought by the end of the day I was going to have to start popping her hand every time she reached for something with burlap.

As for pinterest in general, it's great for ideas, but I'm being very careful to not really use the exact things I see on pinterest and if I like something, use it for inspiration for something else. I went to a wedding last year and it really looked like pinterest had thrown up all over the venue. No originality whatsoever. 

But at the same time... I really kind of want 1, maybe 2 signs at my reception that have a quote about love. I really like the quote from Jane Eyre (Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same) and the one from the book of Ruth in the bible (Where you go, I'll go/etc.) I know, I'm ashamed. 
    Anniversary

• I JUST snagged 53 mason jars for $26 off a swap & sell FB today for our wedding. I swore I wouldn't do mason jars, despite our venue's suggestion to use them to line the outdoor porch for lighting (evening ceremony and reception). I wanted to find something different and a little less overdone but I can't beat $26 for 53 mason jars. I'm going to wrap them in lace because I love lace, my dress is lace and I'm going to have lace table runners (hopefully). But no burlap!
  • I really liked the whole burlap thing a couple years ago too. Sadly it seems like everything I like becomes a trend and I am right on track to match up with some of the current trends for my wedding next year. oh well I am just gonna do what I want and try not to care.
  • I'm trying to come up with a word that isn't "vintage" or "rustic" to describe my wedding, so I don't get lumped in with burlap just for saying rustic. There will no burlap, but there will be white birch, pine cones, candles, antique books and hot toddies.
  • I may be a snob but the words burlap and rustic to me sound like a snoozefest and hillbilly. Then again I love modern and contemporary which are often described as cold and clinical by some. So the burlap and rustic crowd would probably be just as bored with my clean line and monochrome colored wedding as I was at there's and that's why there is (at least should be and will be at mine) free booze at weddings!
  • Emmy211 said:
    I'm trying to come up with a word that isn't "vintage" or "rustic" to describe my wedding, so I don't get lumped in with burlap just for saying rustic. There will no burlap, but there will be white birch, pine cones, candles, antique books and hot toddies.
    Woodland Reading Room lol
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I'm trying so hard to just use Pinterest to help execute ideas I already have on my own. For example, I would love a metallic wedding cake, so I looked up metallic wedding cakes. I also found my table numbers and cake toppers on Pinterest by looking up what I wanted them to look like. I want it to LOOK like I stayed far away from Pinterest when planning my wedding. NO burlap and lace, to say the least!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards