Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Posting Photographs of Wedding Invites on Facebook...

I have seen people post a photo of a wedding invitation on Facebook (wedding guests posting photos of invites when they receive it in the mail) and tagging the bride and/or groom in the photo. It seems rude and obnoxious, as if you are rubbing it in the faces of all who are not invited. It also seems wrong because the bride and groom might want to keep their day more intimate, and posting the details of the day online not only gets extra noses in your business, but it could result in some unintentional guests.  
I eloped and invited no-one, but if I had sent out invitations, and one of my friends posted it publicly (regardless of their intentions-maybe they are just excited), I would ask them to take it down. Has anyone shouted out to the online world, "This is a major etiquette blunder!!!!"? Am I the only one that is mortified for the bride and groom when it happens?

Re: Posting Photographs of Wedding Invites on Facebook...

• Options
    I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation. 1/3 of me would go into a hulk-like rage, another 1/3 would nicely message the poster and say something like "Hey, can you take that down? I don't know all of your friends. I would rather people who weren't invited didn't see the invitation." the other 1/3 would probably just be so completely blown away that I couldn't really even fathom what to REALLY do.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    Yeah, it's very inappropriate of guests to do that.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I don't understand why people do this. If you're that excited that you need it post on Facebook, why not just post in their wall, "just got your invite. So excited!"
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of posting to someone's wall either because people can still see that. I had a few friends write on my wall when I sent them STDs, and I felt awkward because I didn't want people we didn't invite to feel left out. 
  • Options
    kat1114 said:
    I'm not a big fan of posting to someone's wall either because people can still see that. I had a few friends write on my wall when I sent them STDs, and I felt awkward because I didn't want people we didn't invite to feel left out. 

Oh I agree but I think it's far less awkward than posting all your wedding details.
  • Options
    I had someone post my STDate (with our wedding website URL and our full legal names) to a social media site where they had zero privacy settings. It was really not cool. They tagged me in it and even though I didn't "approve" the tag to appear on my Facebook wall, the tag link was still visible to anyone and everyone and led back to my profile if someone clicked on it. I got a bunch of random people I barely knew commenting on it and getting pissed that they didn't get one (come on, you're barely an acquaintance!). I asked the person to take it down as soon as I saw it, but damage was done. I really don't understand WHY people feel the need to publicly share stuff like that.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Ew nonono. I do not like.
  • Options
    Nope, not okay. In addition to possibly making uninvited people feel bad, it puts some private information out in public. I'd message the person and ask them to take the photo down, then follow up with Facebook if necessary.
  • Options
    This happened to some friends getting married the week after me. Lucky for me, no one has done this with my invitation. I think it's tacky and weird to do that.
  • Options
    I think it's weirder when the bride does it herself, at least somebody else doing it is beyond your control.  I have so many facebook friends who post daily messages, "8 days left to RSVP to our wedding!! Don't forget!!!" (link)" or photos of their invitations or envelopes, all kinds of weird things.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Not ok, what if you happen to be friends on Facebook with someone that is a crazy ex of the Bride or groom. Now you've just disclosed some private information to that ex which could allow them to come & make a big scene on their special day. I know origianal OP didn't do this, I used "you" as a general term.
  • Options
    I agree it is a complete and utter no-no. Did these people never graduate primary school where you are taught to not talk about a party unless everyone is invited?

However, I feel like the only people that could comment on it are the B&G by sending a private message saying something like "we are so happy you are excited for our wedding, but would you mind taking down the invite? We were really stuck on the guest list and couldn't invite everyone we wanted and therefore want to minimise hurt feelings. I know you didn't mean anything by it and I can't wait to see you at xyz". 

I have seen it a few times and it makes me cringe!
  • Options
    We are sending out our STD's soon and I am an guard for anyone to do this. I have been very private about my wedding on FB. I think since the "we are engaged" post, my sisters tagged me in a check in a the dress store when we went dress shopping. That's about it. Once someone asked me on my wall if we set a date, I private messaged them( they are invited just didn't want the world to see our date).

On a similar note, how about the people who post a picture of them self addressing party invites with the comment "so excited for our small intimate family birthday function for so and so" I think that is RUDE.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's totally inappropriate.
  • Options
    I'd be livid if one of my guests did that. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards