Honeymoon Discussions

Ethics?

I had posted earlier about my interest in the Maldive Islands..I had briefly mentioned this interest it with my MOH. She pointed me to a few ethical thoughts about employee wages/lack of other job opportunities, etc. and I was wondering if anyone else considered these sorts of arguments when booking a honeymoon?

To be honest these issues did't cross my mind at all, and I'm feeling guilty for it. Why should I enjoy a vacation while people struggle to make pennies a day working for a resort to feed their families?

I'm feeling discouraged because it's really my dream to have an over-water bungalow style honeymoon, but I can't find that while traveling to a country that's committed to human and labor rights. I'm not really sure what my ultimiate decision would be, but I'd like to hear your opinions on why this was/wasn't important to you when choosing a destination

Re: Ethics?

• Everyone is going to have a different opinion on ethics. Noone can tell you how to think or feel about a certain topic. So, I would just rely on your gut about how you feel. Personally, the Maldives are on my list to see soon. Things keep coming up that are preventing me from going, but hopefully next year! You won't find too many people on here who have been as it's mostly a European HM destination because of the cost/time factor from the US. I don't think you'll find much for under $10k and it takes twice as long to get there as it does to get to Tahiti.

That being said, I have never heard of anyone not going there because of low wages. I am pretty sure that exists no matter where you travel in third world type countries. I have seen some people think twice about it because it is a Muslim country. The resorts are very "Americanized" when it comes to drinking, sun bathing, etc, and you won't find any issues there. Some of these countries thrive only because of tourism, so while you may not want to support their views on human rights, NOT going also causes them to not earn wages.

• That was my view on it as well..for a country that relies so heavily on tourism, not going would indeed send a message but also put a lot of people out of work.

I'm aware this is a controversial issue, I can see both sides and I'd like to see the views of others outside of my friends/family.

Also to clarify in this thread: I'm not looking for information/advice on the resorts/Maldives as a location, more of just a general discussion on the topic of island resorts as they relate to ethics, wages, etc
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    These individuals work for these resorts fully aware of their wages just like you accept your job offer making a certain amount.  Their culture is used to this level of living.  I always tend to tip generously when vacationing in countries like this because I know it's very appreciated and the folks do work very hard every day.
  • Tourism is one of the best things that can happen to an underprivileged economic area.  It provides jobs for people, and food for their families.  When I went to Granada after the terrible hurricane destroyed their crops and homes, I made sure to buy as much as practical from local people.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • mlg78 said:
    These individuals work for these resorts fully aware of their wages just like you accept your job offer making a certain amount.  Their culture is used to this level of living.  I always tend to tip generously when vacationing in countries like this because I know it's very appreciated and the folks do work very hard every day.
    I think this is short-sighted. Yes workers are aware of the wages, however they do not have much choice. Many of these countries have very few government protections for workers. They may be used to living on $1 a day, but does that make it right?

Also while tourism can help a struggling economy, keep in mind that the vast majority of tourism dollars will go to international corporations, or to those who are already wealthy in that country. Also resorts divert resources like fresh water, the best food, and the best locations to wealthy tourists instead of the local population. In many countries locals are forced out of their homes to make way for resorts. The beaches are closed off for private use only. The ethical issues are troubling.

OP-I would thoroughly research any country you are considering and attempt to find the most ethical choice-is there a resort that is owned locally? Do they use part of the profits to benefit the local community? etc. Also, always give gratuity to the staff in cash instead of adding it to your bill (and find out what currency would benefit them the most), eat at locally-owned restaurants vs internationally owned chains when possible, and consider making a donation to a local organization. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Travelling, and spending money, locally is a great way to boost the local economy. However, the big caveat here is buying and staying locally. Meaning, don't stay at the Hilton/ Marriott etc whilst travelling to these countries or eat at big chain restaurants. If you want to stay at the over water huts in a country like the Maldives, then yes, you will be supporting multinational corporations and the money will not be going locally. And I agree with Daria24, it is INCREDIBLY short sighted to take the viewpoint that the workers have any sort of "choice" in employment. Social mobility is a luxury in most places. Just because a "culture" is used to being exploited doesn't make it right. I'm a big believer in voting with my pocketbook.

But what you are talking about here is two different issues, one is human rights violations and the other is sustainable development. 

The Maldives is guilty of major human rights violations, especially against women and LGTB community. Only women are flogged if found guilty of extramarital sex (rarely are the men found guilty), including victims of rape and child abuse. 

I work in development, and regularly travel to places with questionable human rights (I just got back from Uganda last week). The thing is, often it IS hits on tourism that forces countries to change their approaches. 

If you can make a commitment to stay in local run hotels, eat and shop locally, then yes, that can really help development. But staying in multinational hotels, even if you tip (often in developing countries tips are required to be given to the management- remember, there is no employment protection laws), doesn't help the local situations at all. 

If it is just the hut over the water that you want to stay at, there are many countries that have similar options that have better human rights records than the Maldives. Women's rights is a very important issue for me, so I definitely take that into account when travelling for pleasure. 

ETF typo
  • @LondonLisa‌ do you have any suggestions? Your views are very similar to my MOH, but she couldn't think of any alternatives
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Tahiti has its own issues, but has a much better human rights record than The Maldives. Also, American Samoa.

Belize and Panama are rebuilding right now, and have their own issues, but I would say look much more promising than the Maldives, which is only getting worse, in my opinion.  
  • daria24 said:
    mlg78 said:
    I think this is short-sighted. Yes workers are aware of the wages, however they do not have much choice. Many of these countries have very few government protections for workers. They may be used to living on $1 a day, but does that make it right?

Also while tourism can help a struggling economy, keep in mind that the vast majority of tourism dollars will go to international corporations, or to those who are already wealthy in that country. Also resorts divert resources like fresh water, the best food, and the best locations to wealthy tourists instead of the local population. In many countries locals are forced out of their homes to make way for resorts. The beaches are closed off for private use only. The ethical issues are troubling.

OP-I would thoroughly research any country you are considering and attempt to find the most ethical choice-is there a resort that is owned locally? Do they use part of the profits to benefit the local community? etc. Also, always give gratuity to the staff in cash instead of adding it to your bill (and find out what currency would benefit them the most), eat at locally-owned restaurants vs internationally owned chains when possible, and consider making a donation to a local organization. 
    All of this.  Yes, tourism can bolster a country's GDP, but it can sometimes hurt most of the population.  It can destroy local economies and hurt the environment.  I'm not saying never travel to these countries at all, but it is good to be conscientious of particular areas and resorts and the economic/environmental consequences they may have.  Then just make the most ethical decision you can under the circumstances.

SaveSave
  • I would have more problems going to a Russia these days, and it is not a developing country!  I was there two years ago before their government made stupid announcements about homosexuality.  I wouldn't want to go there now.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have been in the Maldives and the cool thing some of these resorts do is allow you the ability to leave the resort into the actual villages and towns the workers are from and spend a day with them.

You will see firsthand that these workers love being employed at my resort and how it made a difference in their lives.  They can afford to send their kids to school and afford other things that maybe not everyone can have because of their jobs. 

It's also great because then you can bring in school supplies etc to hand out while you are there as well.

You can't really change the world/country but you can help out little by little.
    Let me know if you want more info on which resort I was at and more about what I did.  I can't speak for all the resorts and how they treat their guests but I definitely was happy at how mine treated the workers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards