Wedding Party

Ring Bearer

My FSIL all but insisted when we got engaged that her now 2 year old be our RB. FI and I had some reservations, but we ultimately acquiesced. (Choose you battles.) RB is now in his terrible twos which are ... terrible. I'm beginning to wonder if he's even going to be able to walk down the isle, and pulling him NOW would cause more problems than it will solve. In any event, whether or not he will walk isn't really the issue ... if he doesn't, he doesn't. No big deal.

Here's my concern. If he's going to walk, I'd like him to carry something, like a sign or a ring pillow, because I'm concerned that having him simply walk down the isle without anything will look ... empty. BUT, I"m unwilling to spend a lot of time or money on making/buying a sign or ring pillow that he may not even carry. 

Does anybody have any experience with this? Can somebody recommend somewhere that I can buy an inexpensive, but nice looking, ring pillow ... where if he doesn't carry it, it won't be too much of a $$ loss? (I'm thinking $20-30 at most .. preferably the lower the better.) Am I totally over-thinking this and experiencing 6-weeks-before-my-wedding stress and making it a bigger deal than it is? 

Any advice or gentle reality check would be appreciated. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ring Bearer

• Have you tried Hobby Lobby? They run 50% off all wedding sales quite often, and this one is $25 starting.

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    Gizmo813 said:
    My FSIL all but insisted when we got engaged that her now 2 year old be our RB. FI and I had some reservations, but we ultimately acquiesced. (Choose you battles.) RB is now in his terrible twos which are ... terrible. I'm beginning to wonder if he's even going to be able to walk down the isle, and pulling him NOW would cause more problems than it will solve. In any event, whether or not he will walk isn't really the issue ... if he doesn't, he doesn't. No big deal.

Here's my concern. If he's going to walk, I'd like him to carry something, like a sign or a ring pillow, because I'm concerned that having him simply walk down the isle without anything will look ... empty. BUT, I"m unwilling to spend a lot of time or money on making/buying a sign or ring pillow that he may not even carry. 

Does anybody have any experience with this? Can somebody recommend somewhere that I can buy an inexpensive, but nice looking, ring pillow ... where if he doesn't carry it, it won't be too much of a $$ loss? (I'm thinking $20-30 at most .. preferably the lower the better.) Am I totally over-thinking this and experiencing 6-weeks-before-my-wedding stress and making it a bigger deal than it is? 

Any advice or gentle reality check would be appreciated. 

BBB and Michaels sell little cheap pillows. Since you know he is fit-able, you can prepare for it. I suggest you practice deep breathing so you have that in your arsenal. You can't tell the mom he is a holy terror and you can't "pull him" without wrecking your relationship forever. If you're having a casual conversation some day, ASK her if she thinks he can walk down the aisle to plant a seed in her mind. Perhaps you and she can discuss alternatives, such as having him walk with an adult down the aisle. Good luck.
  • I second Hobby Lobby.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yeah, arts and crafts stores totally have those pillows for cheap.

I also have seen them at thrift stores. 

Someone on here I think had their ring bearer carry a teddy bear.

Anniversary
  • Gizmo813Gizmo813 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    How to get him down the isle has already been discussed. His older sister (age 4) is FG, and we would like him to walk with her, if possible. BUT, since he is currently attached to his mom's hip most of the time, he might walk with her instead. 

Thanks for suggestions. I'll check BBB & Michaels. 
    ETA: I love teddy bear idea ... I'll look into that as well!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Don't have him carry a sign. 2 year olds are often just too small to hold them up, plus they all too often just don't come off as cute when they do. The message may be cute but in every single photo I've seen of a kid carrying a sign at a wedding, the kid in question has a snarl on his face. I think just getting him up and down the aisle is enough. Have him carry a favorite toy-the teddy bear suggestion above sounds nice.
  • This is a very young kid. He could be listed as RB in the program regardless, but day-of you could just see how it goes. If he'll do it happily, GREAT! But if he's throwing a fit, maybe tell his mom he doesn't have to walk and they will both be relieved. I wouldn't spend much on something he will probably not end up carrying down the aisle. Not carrying anything is fine. He's a cute kid I'm sure and if he actually walks, no one will wonder why he doesn't have anything, they will just like how cute he is. Maybe he will think it's fun to help his sister throw petals on the floor as they walk down the aisle together :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards