Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Dream Ceremony Location - Not so dreamy for Grandma!

The ceremony location for our wedding will be at a family owned cabin on a river. The problem I'm running into is that in order to get down to the river where I want the ceremony to take place, you have to walk down about 10 large steps or scoot down a relatively steep hill. The grandma's in our family can walk, but they have problems walking up and down steps because of knee issues. What are some creative ways we can get them down to the ceremony without them feeling obligated to take the stairs and risk a fall?

Re: Dream Ceremony Location - Not so dreamy for Grandma!

• Options
    The ceremony location for our wedding will be at a family owned cabin on a river. The problem I'm running into is that in order to get down to the river where I want the ceremony to take place, you have to walk down about 10 large steps or scoot down a relatively steep hill. The grandma's in our family can walk, but they have problems walking up and down steps because of knee issues. What are some creative ways we can get them down to the ceremony without them feeling obligated to take the stairs and risk a fall?

Golf cart? Wheelchairs?
  • Options
    I have knee problems.  I would decline your wedding.  It might be your dream location, but if it is inconvenient, or even dangerous to your guests, it is certainly not a good idea.  Find a different location.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Also remember it isn't just your older folks that may have difficulty getting down to your ceremony location. You may have people with knee and back pain, women in heels, pregnant ladies, etc.

Like PP suggested could you use golf carts (or something similar) to transport guests that do not feel like walking or can't walk down to your ceremony?

• Options
    Are there any other entrances to the area that don't require going up and down steps?

If not, I'd honestly consider changing the venue rather than trying to find a "creative" way to get people with mobility issues there.  (I don't see how you can do this "creatively" anyway.)
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Are there any other entrances to the area that don't require going up and down steps?

If not, I'd honestly consider changing the venue rather than trying to find a "creative" way to get people with mobility issues there.  (I don't see how you can do this "creatively" anyway.)
    Hovercraft.
  • Options
    There is a path that comes up the river along the side of the property. Great idea with the golf carts! By fiancé has a Ranger (similar to a golfcart/4wheeler) that would be perfect for this. We will just have to clean up the trail and maybe add some flowers or candles along the trail to make it seem like it wasn't an after thought! Appreciate the responses!
  • Options
    MagicInk said:
    Jen4948 said:

Hovercraft.
    :-)
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I had the same issue with our ceremony Plan B (for inclement weather). There was no solution since it is on the second for and most of our grandparents have mobility issues, so we let go of the idea of doing it in the upstairs room (in front of a GORGEOUS fireplace...sigh) because it's more important to have our grandparents there to witness the ceremony than the backdrop. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards