Honeymoon Discussions

Accidental "Nectarmoon"- this is totally going to be a thing one day!

So FI and I started planning big trip to Alaska in March of this year (wolves! Bears! Mosquitos!) to go in August. And then he proposed in April and we are getting married in December. Well with all of our lifechanging, job starting plans, it's looking like a HM is not in the books for us as we're both going to have to head back to work on Monday. So... My friend suggested we take our Alaska trip and call it a nectarmoon (because that's what comes before honey!) and I thought she was hilarious. But maybe it's just really late and it isn't all that funny. But I feel like I could post this on Pinterest and start a terrible trend. In real life though I would love to hear the voices of brides that either couldn't or didn't have a HM.... did it suck? Was it hard to go back to work that soon?

Re: Accidental "Nectarmoon"- this is totally going to be a thing one day!

• I had my honeymoon on our 25th wedding anniversary.  We took our first cruise to Alaska, and then traveled up to Prudhoe Bay.  Since then we have done 17 cruises all over the world, and are planning our 18th.
    No, I don't really like your idea.  We didn't have a big honeymoon trip after our wedding because we didn't have the money.  We had a mini-moon - two nights in Kansas City.  No one is entitled to an expensive, time consuming honeymoon, just as no one is entitled to a big wedding and a pouffy white dress.  This is about entitlement.
    If you want to take a romantic trip to Alaska in August, go ahead.  Just don't give it a new special name. JMHO.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Sorry I was totally joking. We're going to Alaska because we love to backpack. And we're not having a honeymoon. And it happens that way because life happens. But yeah just to clarify- total joke, hence "posting on Pinterest and starting a terrible trend."
  • I think nectarmoon is totally hilarious. 
  • We didn't go on our HM right away. We got married on a Saturday in March and were able to take off the Monday following the wedding. I wish we had been able to take some time to just relax and unwind right after the wedding, but it just wasn't feasible with work.  

We also have been incredibly busy since our own wedding (attending other weddings, work related things, life, etc.), but we are going on our HM in exactly 4 weeks from today.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We did Niagara Falls which is only 2 1/2 hours from us. We used groupons to get a great deal on the hotel. Since we went in November, a lot of places were closed, but the wineries were open. :)

Even if you can't afford to go on a honeymoon right away, if you can take a few days off after the wedding to just relax at home, I would do that. Nothing wrong with a staycation. After all the wedding planning, a few days at home to relax will be a nice break.

• Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Unfortunately the problem isn't the cost but the time- my fiancé and I will both be starting new jobs right before the wedding, so requesting time off is an issue. I think our plan is to wait until March or April after life calms down and take a trip- we love travel anyways so enjoying the time of planning a vacation without fitting it into the wedding, moving, and new job planning will actually be nice. I am going to see if I can get Monday off, however- it would be nice to have just one day to, at the very least, take the dress to the cleaners and start thank you notes or something.
  • We went on on our honeymoon 3 weeks before our wedding because our wedding ended up being postponed with hurricane Sandy, so we went back to work right after the wedding.  Even if it wasn't rescheduled, we were still going back to work after the wedding because we didn't plan on leaving until the following Saturday.  Things happen.  It's not the end of the world.

Enjoy your vacation in August and plan something special for an anniversary.
  • We bought a house instead of going on a honeymoon. Honestly, I was so exhausted that Sunday/Monday, H would have had zero fun travelling with me. 
  • Going on a honeymoon right after the wedding was very important to me, so I would not have liked going back to work right after the wedding. I would not have been happy with a "nectarmoon" (funny name though!). Enjoy your trip, whatever you choose to call it. Maybe see if you can go on a weekend trip the following weekend so you don't have to take time off work. 
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I read this and was like, "What in the world is a nectarmoon?" 

And now I am cracking up. I can see Pinterest sluts DYING over this. 
  • CMGragain said:
    I had my honeymoon on our 25th wedding anniversary.  We took our first cruise to Alaska, and then traveled up to Prudhoe Bay.  Since then we have done 17 cruises all over the world, and are planning our 18th.
    No, I don't really like your idea.  We didn't have a big honeymoon trip after our wedding because we didn't have the money.  We had a mini-moon - two nights in Kansas City.  No one is entitled to an expensive, time consuming honeymoon, just as no one is entitled to a big wedding and a pouffy white dress.  This is about entitlement.
    If you want to take a romantic trip to Alaska in August, go ahead.  Just don't give it a new special name. JMHO.
    But isn't that exactly what you just did? Your two nights in KC (I live there whoot whoot, awesome place to visit) was your honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I live in Alaska. Be careful with coming to Alaska in August. It tends to be really dry and a lot of fires pop up. It depends where you go but the interior can get nasty. We've had a really wet summer so far, but that can change like nothing. Just be careful and stay safe.
  • For the record, I get your humor and find nectarmoon hilarious.  It sounds like the August trip is the one big trip you'll get this year due to employment stuff, so, go for it. 
    People created the "babymoon" as a way to enjoy each other and relax before the baby comes, so, if you can't take a honeymoon.... have at it. 

I have to go to work for three days after my wedding and then we're leaving for our honeymoon on the 4th day after.  We're not bothered. 

• I like the nectarmoon concept. 

We had a destination wedding on a cruise ship and referred to our wedding/honeymoon trip our "weddingmoon". 

I'm a believer that a honeymoon, post wedding, is a good idea, but it doesn't have to been anything big.  My sister doesn't have time to do honeymoon after her upcoming wedding, and I told her to just get a hotel room in town or in nearby city for the weekend or something. Even if you are in your own town and it's just a day or two, it still gives you a chance to get away from the everyday stuff, spend some quality time together, and revel in the fact that you are now husband & wife. Hell, even if you stay home it can work (if you already have kids, send them away for the night), just turn off the phones and enjoy being in each others company. That's the whole point of the honeymoon anyway, so who says it has to be some big vacation.  You can always take vacations later, and if you are better prepared for it (and not right after spending a bunch of money on a wedding) you may even be able to do a better vacation that is still just as meaningful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards