Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

19th century southern tea party menu?

I am hosting a themed (think American 1800's southern belle/plantations/etc) tea party and I'm looking for menu suggestions or resources (websites/books/etc) that might point me in the right direction for recipes. Thanks!

Re: 19th century southern tea party menu?

• Options
    Is this for your reception, rehearsal dinner or some other wedding related event? What time of day? What time of year? Outside/Inside? (answers to these will help me think of suggestions)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    @southernbelle0915 It is for my wedding reception; it is going to be held on May 9th, early afternoon, inside/outside. I like the silhouettes best between 1875-1885 but I am not sure if I am going to stick with strictly historically accurate apparel or not.
  • Options
    If it's in the early afternoon, I'm assuming your event is not during a meal time and that you are not serving a meal. I'm assuming you're in the south (hot in May). If so, here are a few menu suggestions:

- a few different types of tea sandwiches
    - ambrosia
    - lemon bars 
    - chocolate macaroons
    - mini desserts (truffles, toffee, cookies, etc.)
    - shortcake
    - crackers and herbed cheese spread
    - veggie tray and fruit tray
    - lemonade, iced sweet tea and possibly a sweet punch
    - hot tea and coffee

I'd be careful with the attire piece being too historically accurate. You run the risk of being too theme-y and it looking more like a costume party than a wedding. I honestly think if you incorporate your theme through your menu, decor, location, venue, music, etc. it's more than enough. 
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards