Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Seating Charts

Do you guys think it's better to sit whole families at a table, or separate them based on their ages?

Also, is it better to seat people together that know each other? Or seat people together that do not know each other, but who  I think would make great friends?

Re: Seating Charts

• Options
    For our seating charts, we put families together. We didn't separate children from parents. I guess it depends on your family and friends though.

We also tried to seat people together that knew each other, but its almost impossible to make sure everyone is sitting with people they know.  In reality, its not a big deal.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Sit people with who they already know. It's one party; no one is looking to make lifelong new friends. Plus there's time to mingle apart from the actual eating portion of the reception.

I think the first question depends on the ages of the kids. If they're all, say, 16 and older, I think you can separate them. But littler kids need to be with their grown-ups, in my opinion.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yeah, don't be the bride who does the random seating.  It's no fun to be at a table where you know no one and you have no common interests.  Your table is your home base.  The floor is where you mingle.

Families with younger kids you should absolutely keep together.  Older kids who know each other might actually have more fun at their own table though.  Depends on the people.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, girls! When I say "separate families", I mean adult families. I'll def keep the kids with their parents together.

For example, I have 3 cousins who are all adults, bringing their spouses and they are immediate family. I wonder if they'd rather sit with their immediate family, or sit with other people that they know? Since they know a lot of people at the wedding.

• Options
    stepslh said:
    Thanks for the input, girls! When I say "separate families", I mean adult families. I'll def keep the kids with their parents together.

For example, I have 3 cousins who are all adults, bringing their spouses and they are immediate family. I wonder if they'd rather sit with their immediate family, or sit with other people that they know? Since they know a lot of people at the wedding.

I don't really think it matters.  If they get along with their family then sit them with their family.  If not, then sit them with other people they know.  In reality they will be sitting at these assigned tables for an hour maybe an hour and a half tops, it isn't like they are shackled to them.  Once dinner is over people will get up and mingle with whoever they want.

• Options
    I have three cousins who are siblings and are all married.  Two of the couples will be seated together and with other cousins.  The third sibling will be sitting with other cousins and maybe my aunt and uncle (his parents).  I know most of my cousins would much rather sit with other cousins they rarely see than with their brothers.
  • Options
    For one side of the family I'm planning on putting the "cousins" (my generation) at one table(s), and the "aunts/uncles" (my parent's generation) at one table(s). But for another side of the family I'm planning to keep the adult cousins with their parents, because they are not very social at all and I think they would rather sit with their parents. Some of them even still live at home with their parents, and even though there are other cousins there, they would all probably be very awkward sitting together. 

So, do whatever makes the most sense to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards