Wedding Reception Forum

when to find time to decorate the reception hall

Hey all, 

I'm trying to figure out in my head how I'm going to manage decorating our reception space. All they do is set up the tables and chairs... and we have the place rented from 3-8pm. Our wedding is going to be at either 12 or 1 pm (catholic wedding) which doesn't leave much time before or after. The lady I've been speaking with at the reception place says most people just hire caterers that will also decorate.We are having a winter wedding and the reception lady said she could work with us on adding an extra hour in there. So, I'm thinking what if I just added an hour at like 8 or 9am and went and decorated before getting ready???! I don't really want to feel rushed though.... Has anyone had any experience with this... or how did you set up your decorations? I'm just trying to figure out what would be easiest. I need advice!

Re: when to find time to decorate the reception hall

• If I were you I would find it in my budget to hire someone to decorate for me. I don't know about you but the last thing that I would want to do on my wedding day would be to get up early to try and decorate my reception area and be done in time to then turn around and get cleaned up, hair and makeup done, get into my dress, get some pictures taken and get to the ceremony without wanting to scream from worrying about the time.

• Our venue coordinator decorated for me.  In your case I would find room in the budget for a day of coordinator to decorate for you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • sj86 said:
    Hey all, 

I'm trying to figure out in my head how I'm going to manage decorating our reception space. All they do is set up the tables and chairs... and we have the place rented from 3-8pm. Our wedding is going to be at either 12 or 1 pm (catholic wedding) which doesn't leave much time before or after. The lady I've been speaking with at the reception place says most people just hire caterers that will also decorate.We are having a winter wedding and the reception lady said she could work with us on adding an extra hour in there. So, I'm thinking what if I just added an hour at like 8 or 9am and went and decorated before getting ready???! I don't really want to feel rushed though.... Has anyone had any experience with this... or how did you set up your decorations? I'm just trying to figure out what would be easiest. I need advice!
    Did she specify when that hour would be?  Usually when they add an hour on it's to the start or end time, not some random time earlier in the day.  You going in at 8 or 9 would mean they would have to have staff there to let you in and they may not start that early in the day for a 3pm reception.  

We were allowed in the reception venue 2 hours before the reception started so me, moh, my mom and my aunt ran over and took care of what needed done (nothing elaborate).  Then we headed to the church were moh and I got dressed and had a wedding.  My wedding was one hour before the reception.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My bridesmaids and my aunt volunteered to do it for us.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I agree with hiring someone. It doesn't need to be some expensive coordinator. My good friend's mom hired me to do it for her sister's wedding since I was close to the family but not close enough to be invited. I did not mind or think it was rude and I got paid $100.

• My DOC and florist decorated for me. I dropped everything off there the night before and had instructions for where I wanted everything. 
  • Luckily our caterers will do most of the decorating for us. I plan to have pictures and instructions for them too, since I'm kind of a perfectionist about things. This is actually something I wish I had time to do myself, but I know that will be impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards