Wedding Reception Forum

not a fan of "signs", but....

For my "guestbook" I bought a large, framed picture that matches our reception décor and will look great in our new home. I plan to get some metallic sharpies or glass markers for people to sign the glass with. The pattern (sorry I don't have a pic) is pretty plain, but I would still prefer people to sign their names around the edges, where the white mat is.

So basically, How do I make them do that? LOL

Re: not a fan of "signs", but....

• Take it out of the frame. When there's a picture with a white border, people are smart enough to sign the white border. Then frame it later so the signatures are under the glass.

•  
    jenna8984 said:
    Take it out of the frame. When there's a picture with a white border, people are smart enough to sign the white border. Then frame it later so the signatures are under the glass.

I don't think I can, but I will look at it when I get home. Thanks!
  • jenna8984 said:
    Take it out of the frame. When there's a picture with a white border, people are smart enough to sign the white border. Then frame it later so the signatures are under the glass.
    And that way if something happens the frame you can just reframe it instead of losing the signatures.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    This is what we used http://www.customalexander.com/MrAndMrsAlexander_Catalog.htm the poster part actually had glass on it and the border didnt so guests could sign. I didnt have a sign and no one signed on the actual picture.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • PDKH said:
    You can also think about having some family or bridal party members "pre-sign" it so there's a precedent for all your other guests to follow. 
    This is a great idea.  I also think it makes sense to take it out of the glass and have guests sign on the white mat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I'm all for pre-signing. We did that with some of our river rocks b/c we figured signing those wasn't something people had seen a lot before. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We had a small wooden chest which I had painted our names and last name initial and wedding date on the top.  We didn't really think about telling people to sign on the sides of the box where it was blank because, well duh.  Everyone signed on the sides except H's one friend who signed on the top.  I am still a bit irritated by it every time I walk by the chest.

Pre-signing is a great idea but you could also by some thin decorative tape and maybe tape around the picture so that the signing area is more prevalant.

• We had a small wooden chest which I had painted our names and last name initial and wedding date on the top.  We didn't really think about telling people to sign on the sides of the box where it was blank because, well duh.  Everyone signed on the sides except H's one friend who signed on the top.  I am still a bit irritated by it every time I walk by the chest.

Pre-signing is a great idea but you could also by some thin decorative tape and maybe tape around the picture so that the signing area is more prevalant.
    gah! That sounds so aggravating!
  • I would definitely have them sign on the mat, rather than the glass. It would be really sad if the glass broke.

@Maggie0829 could you possibly sand down and refinish the spot where he signed on the top??

• I am 90% sure I cannot remove the picture from the frame, unfortunately

It sounds then like this picture doesn't make the best substitute for a guest book.
  • @lolo883 - I could just paint over it but then a small part of me will feel bad even though the larger part of me has really wanted to do just that for 3 years.  But funny enough this was the only thing during my whole wedding day that bothered me.  I went over to the card/gift table towards the end of the night and saw that the top was written on and in my head I was like "WTF?!  He had to of done that on purpose because he wanted to be funny but that was kind of douchy."  But then I quickly grabbed another glass of wine and I was over it for the rest of the night.

But then again, this friend of H's overall bugs me so that probably doesn't help things.

The tiny things that get under our skin can be so ridiculous LOL!

• Jen4948 said:

I am 90% sure I cannot remove the picture from the frame, unfortunately

It sounds then like this picture doesn't make the best substitute for a guest book.

I don't see a problem with people writing on the glass so I am going to stick with it.

Even if the frame isn't made for this, you can usually still remove it "permanently" and then have it put back in later. You just have to use an exacto knife or something to cut around the back edges to remove the frame backing, in order to get into the "guts" of the frame where you can access the picture and the mat. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards