Wedding Etiquette Forum

Reminding people about room block deadline?

ashleyepashleyep member
First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited June 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
The deadline for our room block is July 2. We were fortunate enough that our block doesn't require a two night stay like almost every hotel in the area does. Our guests live close enough that if they want to stay, they'd want to stay for only one night. 

I didn't include an accomodations card with our invite - but on the reception card I included a link to our website where the hotel information is.

The hotel changed to a 2-night minimum right at the same time we reserved our block - but our block was excluded. If anyone wants to book a room outside of the block, they'd have to do two nights.

Can we gently remind people that the block is expiring soon? A facebook post limited to those on our guest list? I feel like we should just let them be adults and if they cared that much they would have already booked it, but I don't want anyone to end up having to drive home late at night after a night of drinking because they couldn't get a room for the night.
Anniversary

Re: Reminding people about room block deadline?

• Personally, I would just send out a general email (blind copy everyone, so they can't see other people's email addresses, but then it is still clear it is general by your wording). That way you aren't singling people out and you aren't accidently posting facebook stuff for non-wedding people to see.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    ashleyepPrettyGirlLost
  • Personally, I would just send out a general email (blind copy everyone, so they can't see other people's email addresses, but then it is still clear it is general by your wording). That way you aren't singling people out and you aren't accidently posting facebook stuff for non-wedding people to see.
    That's not a bad idea. I don't know that I have everyone's email addresses, but I'll send out what I can. 

I'm pretty good at the privacy features of facebook. I've used them a lot (like asking for bachelorette party recommendations for a friend and hiding the bride). 

But the email is more direct.
    Anniversary
  • Email or word of mouth if you see them regularly.
  • ashleyep said:
    The deadline for our room block is July 2. We were fortunate enough that our block doesn't require a two night stay like almost every hotel in the area does. Our guests live close enough that if they want to stay, they'd want to stay for only one night. 

I didn't include an accomodations card with our invite - but on the reception card I included a link to our website where the hotel information is.

The hotel changed to a 2-night minimum right at the same time we reserved our block - but our block was excluded. If anyone wants to book a room, they'd have to do two nights.

Can we gently remind people that the block is expiring soon? A facebook post limited to those on our guest list? I feel like we should just let them be adults and if they cared that much they would have already booked it, but I don't want anyone to end up having to drive home late at night after a night of drinking because they couldn't get a room for the night.
    Wait are you saying they have a two night minimum for room blocks or a two night minimum for anyone booking a room?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ashleyepashleyep member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2014
    mysticl said:
    ashleyep said:

The hotel changed to a 2-night minimum right at the same time we reserved our block - but our block was excluded. If anyone wants to book a room, they'd have to do two nights.

Wait are you saying they have a two night minimum for room blocks or a two night minimum for anyone booking a room?
    Pretty much every hotel in town has a two night minimum, it's a popular tourist town during the summer. When we set up our block we didn't have a minimum stay (they changed the policy right after we reserved ours) - which was great since most of our guests are local enough that they would only want to stay Saturday night.

So if they book on our block before July 2, they don't have to stay two nights. If they don't reserve a room on the block, they'll pretty much have no choice but to stay two nights.

Anniversary
  • Thanks for clarifying, that makes more sense.

I'd send out the blind email PP recommended, although for my facebook obsessed friends I might use the private messages on there since they get those faster.
  • I would absolutely let them know.  I have never run into a hotel with a minimum stay so I wouldn't be expecting that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    PrettyGirlLost
  • mysticl said:
    I would absolutely let them know.  I have never run into a hotel with a minimum stay so I wouldn't be expecting that. 
    It looks like there are a couple of options on expedia for just one night. But I hate booking through those sites - a hotel had no record of my reservation once. And it's much more expensive.

I've seen hotels with minimum stays, they're not that uncommon if it's a busy weekend, and I did mention it on the website, but I sent out an email as well.
    Anniversary
  • I think it's fine to remind people about the block, especially with the minimum stay. I tend to put things like that off so I would definitely appreciate a reminder! For mine, we didn't have a minimum night requirement, but I did send a Facebook message to a few people who had expressed interest that they should book soon to get the discount (and so my shuttle price would go down, but I didn't mention that part :))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards