Chit Chat

Puppies in the office!

My office allows people to bring their dogs in. This week, there are TWO different people who've brought in dogs who need homes - a 5 month old Giant Schnauzer that wasn't a good fit for an employee's home, and a 4-6 month old Sharpei/Lab mix that another employee found abandoned but can't keep. It's torture. I want to take them both home. FI will forgive me, right? Four dogs isn't too many. :-p

Re: Puppies in the office!

• OMG!!  I am in LOVE!

How does having dogs in the workplace affect the atmosphere?  I'm always pushing for it, because I just feel like I would be so much happier and relaxed and not quite as stabby if I had a furbaby to get a quick snuggle from.
    Anniversary

• Four dogs is child's play! Take those precious puppies!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • OMG!!  I am in LOVE!

How does having dogs in the workplace affect the atmosphere?  I'm always pushing for it, because I just feel like I would be so much happier and relaxed and not quite as stabby if I had a furbaby to get a quick snuggle from.
    It's a pretty easy-going atmosphere anyway (we have Thirsty Thursdays with free beer, plus my personal office has a beer fridge, corn hole tourneys on the rooftop patio, a foosball table and arcade games, fountain pop and a popcorn machine... so the dogs just contribute to the overall fun/homey kind of vibe. It makes me happy because I can't help but smile seeing puppers walking around (always with a human at the end of their leash). There is one giant dog who barks really loudly and I wish they'd control that better, because it can be distracting, but otherwise I like it!

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    where are you located? That giant schaunzer has my name written all over it. H might kill me but its worth an ask.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • OMG I love Schnauzers!  What a cutie. 

• Aw how wonderful!  Sounds like a great environment  :)
    Anniversary

• KatWAG said:
    where are you located? That giant schaunzer has my name written all over it. H might kill me but its worth an ask.
    @KatWAG our office is in Birmingham, MI. About an hour northwest of Detroit.

• We have an dog-friendly office, too. Gus has been coming to work with me since he was 8-weeks-old and has sort of become the "office mascot". 

Makes me sad to hear about those poor doggies, though :( . I hope they are able to find good, permanent homes!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm SURE you would be forgiven! 

It might take a little time?
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    We have an dog-friendly office, too. Gus has been coming to work with me since he was 8-weeks-old and has sort of become the "office mascot". 

Makes me sad to hear about those poor doggies, though :( . I hope they are able to find good, permanent homes!
    The one that was found abandoned will be getting picked up by a no-kill shelter on Friday - they'll get him neutered, caught up on his shots, and have his eyes looked at because he'll probably need surgery, then put him up for adoption.

The giant schnauzer might be headed to the Humane Society if they can't find her a home, so I kind of want to at least foster her so that doesn't happen! Our other big dog would LOVE to have someone who will actually run around and play with her (and the little one would appreciate the reprieve) but I worry it wouldn't be enough exercise for such a rambunctious breed. I have a bad feeling that's why the owners are getting rid of her, which makes me really mad. Don't get a dog without doing all the research on the breed! I hope I'm wrong, maybe it's allergies or something.

• Since she got Pete, my mom brought him to the office almost every day. When he was smaller, he would go to Doggie Daycare for 2 days a week to get his energy out and socialize with other dogs. Now, he comes in, stares at my mom's desk drawer (where the treats live) and then goes and lays down on his couch (seen below) and sleeps or hangs out all day. He asks to go out, demands treats, and then observes you while you eat lunch. Half the times UPS or USPS comes in, he doesn't even wake up for it.

Last summer, the AC broke, so we got the fan out for him. He elects to stay home when it rains, or if my dad stays home.

When FI and I got Daisy, I tried doing the same thing with her, but she was SO EXCITED to be around Pete (who does his best to ignore her), she just couldn't handle it. Now, she gets to play all day with FILs German Shepherd during the summer, and she goes to doggy daycare a few times a week during the winter.

I love office dogs that know the ropes though.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Can I come work there? Pretty please?

I feels so bad about leaving my poor old man alone all day while I'm at work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Just tell him about it while naked, he'll forgive you.  
    Just kidding, btw.
  • There wasn't a no, so take the puppy home!
  • Take her home! Do it!  She's cute, Fi will forgive you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Latest email back:

"I’m seriously considering this baby… that dog is so cute and I think her and Bryn would be BFFs. I just worry about the lack of space, plus the allergies etc."

So I asked whether he'd want to take her on sort of a foster basis - see if she works out, save her from the Humane Society, but take on the responsibility of finding a different home/shelter if it didn't work out. It didn't sound from the email like the current owner is willing to keep her until he finds a new home.

Send me those Knottie vibes!!!!

• Take her home! We got a third dog after mine died to keep our lab mix happy since our other dog is too old to rough house. They're best buddies now, and old man can sleep on the couch in peace. And our home is tiny.
  • Take her home! We got a third dog after mine died to keep our lab mix happy since our other dog is too old to rough house. They're best buddies now, and old man can sleep on the couch in peace. And our home is tiny.
    See YES this is exactly what we need. His dog is 4 years old and just a giant ball of energy. My little old man is almost 8 - only middle-aged for his breed, but wants nothing to do with anything but sleeping most of the time. He does try to chase his squeaky ball occasionally, but Bryn is so much faster than him that she gets to it first and chomps on it til the squeaker breaks. 

• Sending you vibes!!!!! She's so cute!!

BTW - your job sounds awesome.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• OMG take her hoooooooome!!

I'm jealous of people that get to have dogs in their office. FI works at a small community bank and his customers are always bringing their dogs in. One day a woman brought 4 puppies in and they just slept on the floor of his office for about an hour. The other day they had a teacup pug running around behind their teller line for 3 hours. I told him he needs to steal me one next time someone brings puppies in!

• Dam you all, I was having a discussion with Maggie earlier about puppies! My brother is breeding his golden retriever with a yellow lab and told me if I wanted I can have pick of the litter as a wedding gift. FI and I have never had dogs, so we said we'd think about it and we are still waivering over the responsibilities but y'all make it sound like a no brainer!! lol

• Puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy

Anniversary
  • Well the owner said he had a lot of other interest in her and someone is taking her overnight tonight.

And FI said he doesn't think it's the right time for us, since we want to try for babies toward the end of this year and this breed requires a lot of attention, along the lines of training, exercise and grooming. 

I has the sads now.

*msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:
    Dam you all, I was having a discussion with Maggie earlier about puppies! My brother is breeding his golden retriever with a yellow lab and told me if I wanted I can have pick of the litter as a wedding gift. FI and I have never had dogs, so we said we'd think about it and we are still waivering over the responsibilities but y'all make it sound like a no brainer!! lol
    This makes me want to cry.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• lkristenj said:
    jenna8984 said:
    Dam you all, I was having a discussion with Maggie earlier about puppies! My brother is breeding his golden retriever with a yellow lab and told me if I wanted I can have pick of the litter as a wedding gift. FI and I have never had dogs, so we said we'd think about it and we are still waivering over the responsibilities but y'all make it sound like a no brainer!! lol
    lol why? Because we even have to think about it?

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    lkristenj said:
    jenna8984 said:
    lkristenj said:
    jenna8984 said:
    lol why? Because we even have to think about it?

No, because your brother is breeding mix breed dogs. There are too many of them in shelters already. In my 5 years of volunteering, I've seen too many puppies die at animal shelters. It just makes me so sad to think of people breeding without a cause or a plan.

Having a dog is a responsibility for a lifetime, so I think it's good that you are considering it so carefully. So many don't and then the dogs end up without homes, just like with the Giant Schnauzer puppy (suspected). It's definitely worth it to think about the responsibilities before bringing another life into your home.

Agreed. It makes me sad (and irrationally angry) when people buy dogs or cats from breeders or puppy mills when there are thousands of animals dying in shelters.

And the excuse that "we want a pure breed" or "we need a dog that doesnt shed" makes me stabby. There are plenty of pure breeds and hypoallergenic animal available in shelters.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards