Wedding Reception Forum

Fancy cupcakes as centerpieces?

Has anyone thought of doing fancy cupcakes as centerpieces? My mother is all about doing this and I am questioning her sanity. She wants to make the actual cupcakes that people would eat as dessert, the centerpiece on each table. So if there are 6 people to a table there would be 6 beautiful cupcakes in some type of arrangement that would seem pretty obvious that you wouldn't be allowed to touch or eat them until you had permission. She thinks it seems money conscious and unique. Thanks so much ladies.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Fancy cupcakes as centerpieces?

• It's a cute idea.   I doubt I would wait for permission to eat them though.  I mean, it's pretty mean to put a cupcake in front of me then make me wait hours to be able to touch it.    

I don't feel the same way about traditional wedding cake as I'm not generally staring at it all night. 

Cupcakes can be time consuming to make, store and transport.  Keep that in mind.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm dying laughing right now because you are like the 5th person to say this. In my mind I'm seeing a really intricate centerpiece with like, branches holding cupcakes up like 2ft off the table or something. So I think it's a vision that needs to come together. Or else I just think it's kinda just not gonna work. But my mom gets a thought in her mind and won't stop. I have a year. I'm not panicking just yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm dying laughing right now because you are like the 5th person to say this. In my mind I'm seeing a really intricate centerpiece with like, branches holding cupcakes up like 2ft off the table or something. So I think it's a vision that needs to come together. Or else I just think it's kinda just not gonna work. But my mom gets a thought in her mind and won't stop. I have a year. I'm not panicking just yet.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cupcakes+as+centerpieces+for+a+wedding&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_uWsU7jmL8yryASM34GgBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=768&bih=928
  • I like this one:

• How in the heck are those cupcakes not just sliding right off!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I would assume that was a favour and eat the cupcake whenever I wanted. You cannot put something in front of an adult and then give them "permission" to eat it. Are you doing afternoon tea? It could work if it was a tea stand  with finger sandwiches, scones etc. 

Does she plan on making an anouncement: "you may now eat your cupcakes"? That seems awkward. I wouldn't want to eat a cupcake that has been attached to a branch for the last 2 hours hanging over my table. Are people supposed to get out of their chairs and "pick" the cupcake off their centrepiece like that scene in Willy Wonka? That seems child's birthday party-ish. 

If she wants to make cupcakes, why not put them in a cupcake box and have that as your favour. If it is for dessert, I would suggest either serving it to them or having a cupcake buffet.
  • Dying.Right.Now okay you have all backed up my "this is not a good idea" argument. Thank you and have a great day ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend did this for her wedding. They had mini cupcakes in a variety of flavors at each table, on nice crystal cake stand type dishes, used as centerpieces. Generally people waited till after dinner to eat them but because they were mini it was tempting for some. It worked out well for her - she didn't want floral centerpieces or a big cake cutting moment. I will say that the cupcake frosting wasn't ideal after they'd been out for several hours, so that's something to consider.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have no centerpiece opinions, but I will die if I don't have a cupcake. Now.
  • Yeah your "center pieces" woun't make it through the first 10 minutes of the reception. If it were me is eat the cupcake and still expect dessert because it's silly to put dessert on the table before the meal.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards