Wedding Etiquette Forum

Dream dress HELP!

imageThis is my dream dress.  I picked it out long before he ever proposed.  When he finally proposed, I immediately went online to David's Bridal and looked to find my dress.  What luck!  It must have been fate because it was on clearance and they had 1 in one size smaller than what I am.  I figure that I am going to lose the weight any way.  $400 what a value.  I buy the dress and it sits because I can't fit into it.  My mother is quite an accomplished seamstress and I have called upon her to handle my alterations.  I am very close to fitting into the dress itself!  We have a situation though.  I am 5ft tall and the dress is heavily beaded A line.  It does not appear to have an easy seam to shorten the length without messing up the beading.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what she could do?  It is a full cathedral as you can see.  The beading is on the front and back of the train and on the bodice.  I am not in a situation to take it to have it professionally altered and I do have complete faith in my mother's abilities. We just need some ideas without altering the integrity of the dress itself.  Any suggestions appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: Dream dress HELP!

• I just had my alterations done at DB, and needed a hem since I am 5'4.  They told me that they do nothing to alter the train, they just taper the hem from the front to the side seams so you don't trip on it.  It doesn't look like the beading goes all the way to the floor in that picture, so maybe just hem the front half of the bottom up to the beading?

Disclaimer:  I don't sew and that suggestion is just based upon what I was told at DB during my alterations appointment on June 21.
  • 5' 0" tall here also!  Told the same thing NikkiJay said by the company that custom made my gown (but from a pattern).  Although they made the front of the gown to match my height, the train is sewn the same way regardless of height because it is really just the front of the dress where height matters.  Beautiful dress! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Absolutely just shorten the front, and taper to the train. I can't tell from the pic how heavy the beading is, or if it goes all the way to the floor.  

If your mom needs to do any machine sewing where beading is, tell her to put fray-check on the inside fastening seams, and hit the beads with a clean hammer on the line she'll be sewing- that breaks the beads off without breaking the stitches that might loosen other beads. If she needs to resew any beads after hemming, use a smooth metal embroidery hoop to hold the fabric taut to avoid puckering. Beading needles and replacement beads are at JoAnn Fabrics, if she doesn't have a small enough needle. 

Then give her a serious hug. It's a brave mom that will take this on, but it looks completely do-able. 
  • Instead of hemming the dress at the bottom, can your mom hem the dress from the waist?  That way she would be pulling up the beading and it would all remain intact at the bottom.  I can't see if there is a seam across the dress from the pic you posted.

Also, if you can't lose enough weight, consider having a corset back put in, they are more forgiving to the waist and bust being possibly too tight.

• Great suggestions from all of you!  Thank you so much for your input and comments!  I will let you know what happens.  We still have a little while.  The wedding is the end of October.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards