• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
Wedding 911

Help Me! My Wedding Manager ran off with our money!!

We booked Windows on the Lake in Lake Ronkonkoma as our venue. We make all the original payments to hold the date and for one of their wedding packages. Unfortunately because of some family issues we had to move the wedding date back and move it to the smaller Beach Club. But before we did we paid the 6 month payment towards our original date. When I called Windows on the Lake a while later to check how everything was going I found out that my Wedding Manager Bruce no longer works for them. I was a bit upset that no one called or informed us that Bruce was no longer working there. After a few phone calls I kept getting the run around so I decided to go and see what exactly was going on in person. I asked for any and all paperwork that they have regarding my wedding. It turns out that my payments short were around $5,000. Then I was told the reason that my wedding manager no longer works for then is because he was stealing wedding payments from the customers. When we sat and spoke with the owner we were told that he would not honor the money that was stolen from us and if we decided to cancel then we would lost every dollar that we gave them. I  am truly heartbroken and at a lost. I spoke with a lawyer and was told that it would be a long and expensive process. If anyone knows what I could do or how to help me I would be eternally grateful.

Re: Help Me! My Wedding Manager ran off with our money!!

  • That's insanity, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Did you call the better business buerau?

    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Honestly, find a better lawyer. Or, depending where you are, a small claims court should work and you won't need a lawyer to do it. I did small claims by myself.
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2014
    Check the limitations of small claims court.  It's often around $3,000.  If you file in small claims, you can only sue for that amount or less.  

    Try a female attorney, too.  She may be more sensitive to what you're going through.  Your local Bar Association can offer referrals.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 Ravens & Bohs & Crabs & O's member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    Find a new lawyer and look into small claims court.  Your venue is also a huge ass.  It isn't your fault that this person stole money.  They were the one's that employed that person and as a business they need to honor any and all contracts that were made.

    I would be pushing hard on this and I would also be bringing out the bitch in yourself as well.

  • OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom South Jersey member
    Eighth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers

    Do you have cancelled checks or receipts of any payment to your venue?  If so print them all out, any judge that looks at those checks, made out to the venue and not Bruce will side with you.  The venue would then be responsible for going after Burce for their rightful money.

    Go talk to another lawyer.  Or go call your local news organization and get this plastered all over the 6 PM news.  The venue shouldn't be taking this out on the customers, but the shifty wedding manager.

  • You can sue them in small claims court without an attorney.  This case is a no brainer if you have evidence of your payments. Someone in their employment stole from customers. That's their problem, not yours.

    I would also start calling the media.

  • holyguacamole79holyguacamole79 a taco truck in Houston member
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its 5 Answers
    Agree with @QueerFemme‌. I filed a suit in small claims court in my mid 20s; it isn't that hard and does not involve an attorney. I would also start writing reviews about this venue EVERYWHERE. Also check to see if they are a member of the Better Business Bureau. If they are, file a complaint with them, too. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards