Snarky Brides
Options

Would you do your wedding all over again, or would you ditch the big affair?

2»

Re: Would you do your wedding all over again, or would you ditch the big affair?

• Options
    chelcya said:
    I Got Married Last Summer. We Had A Lovely Wedding, But There Was So Many Politics With InviteS, Family Issues, Etc That Really Drag You Down. My 2 Best Friends We're My Bridesmaids And They Both Got Trashed Way Before The CeremonY And Caused A Scene, We Haven't Been Friends Since. I Also Got Disappointed With The Amount Of People Who Didn't Give Us A Card. I Know You Aren't Supposed To Expect Gifts, But I Think A $3 Card With A Handwritten Sentiment Is Deserved. Some People Exploit Large Weddings. Weddings Are Always What Ifs, The People Who Had One One Way,Think About What Would It Have Been To Have It Another Way. I Say, Stay True To You And Your Fiances Wishes And Means, That Is What And Who It Is Supposed To Be About.
    ...This paragraph intimidates me
    Lol me too. My anxiety kicks in by the 2nd sentence.  Why capitalize every letter? Makes it difficult to read and, isnt it extra work?

I had a traditional wedding first time around. It was lovely but since it ultimately resulted in divorce, I was sure I'd want a no fuss simple elopement my second time around. While I would still be ok with that, my Fiance wanted a traditional wedding and I didn't want to rob him (us?) of that experience. Now I'm very excited that we will be celebrating our wedding with our family and dearest fr
  • Options
    scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    I was very happy with how most things turned out.  We had a fairly traditional wedding (church, 130+ people, late lunch/early dinner, alcohol, dancing), but it was very us and as simple as a wedding that size can be.  If however, we somehow ended up back in time and had to do it again, I would have hired an MC/DOC in a heartbeat.  There were so many little things that needed to be taken care of that day and everyone came and asked me for every problem.  Couple that with my anxiety problems and I was stressed out for a good portion of the reception.  

This also probably might have prevented the only real hiccup of our DIY music playlist getting scrambled by people who just felt like they had to see the playlist.  If you do that route, physically b
    lock off the area and post signs or something saying "do not touch."  I had no idea people would not realize they shouldn't be messing around in the playlist.  

It ended up being ok.  Most people didn't notice, we got it mostly fixed and we had tons of dancing (more than at my relatives' weddings that had DJ's.  

All the main things though, especially our ceremony, I wouldn't change a thing.

ETA:  It wasn't just a song or two moved around.  The playlist got put in alphabetical order.  If we hadn't fixed it, there would've been 30+ minutes of fast songs followed by 30+ minutes of slow songs.  Major dance floor killer.
  • Options
    I've done the big wedding and I think I knew about 20% of the people there.  My ex husband had a massive family and mine is tiny.  I had fun at that wedding, don't get me wrong but it was just too much everything...

This time around FI and I have stuck to our guns.  Small wedding, married in our backyard, dinner at a fancy restaurant and a bbq/keg after party in the backyard if anyone wants to join us then up to the cottage for a week of relaxing.  This is the wedding we want and it has come at quite the cost for his side of the family who want a big wedding.  People are offended they aren't invited and we're okay with that.  It's not about how many people can you have but rather about having the most important people in our lives.  His family has a bad habit of assuming - our 26 person guest list is apparently 49 people with only 3 on his side (in their mind) when in actuality it's 14 from his side and 12 from mine.  
  • Options
    chelcya said:
    I Got Married Last Summer. We Had A Lovely Wedding, But There Was So Many Politics With InviteS, Family Issues, Etc That Really Drag You Down. My 2 Best Friends We're My Bridesmaids And They Both Got Trashed Way Before The CeremonY And Caused A Scene, We Haven't Been Friends Since. I Also Got Disappointed With The Amount Of People Who Didn't Give Us A Card. I Know You Aren't Supposed To Expect Gifts, But I Think A $3 Card With A Handwritten Sentiment Is Deserved. Some People Exploit Large Weddings. Weddings Are Always What Ifs, The People Who Had One One Way,Think About What Would It Have Been To Have It Another Way. I Say, Stay True To You And Your Fiances Wishes And Means, That Is What And Who It Is Supposed To Be About.
    ...This paragraph intimidates me
    Lol me too. My anxiety kicks in by the 2nd sentence.  Why capitalize every letter? Makes it difficult to read and, isnt it extra work?

I had a traditional wedding first time around. It was lovely but since it ultimately resulted in divorce, I was sure I'd want a no fuss simple elopement my second time around. While I would still be ok with that, my Fiance wanted a traditional wedding and I didn't want to rob him (us?) of that experience. Now I'm very excited that we will be celebrating our wedding with our family and dearest fr
    I used to have to type like that for a job. I caught myself typing that way outside of work all the time and it was ANNOYING.

I'm excited for the big to-do because I like having a project and nothing has been a nightmare. Hopefully I don't have to do it again. If that ends up happening that way, I will lean towards eloping.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I found this infographic, which broke down a survey brides took that asked this very same question posed on this thread.  It means nothing, because a lot of the results contradict other results, but it's interesting all the same.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I would do it over again. It was a huge expense, but it was such a fantastic wedding. Just going over the memories from it in my mind make it so worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards