Wedding Invitations & Paper

Wording of invites and reception card

I just started working on the wording of our wedding invitations and needed some opinions. Our ceremony is at our Church at 4pm. Ceremony should last about 20-30 minutes. Our reception venue is 2 miles down the road and will open the moment the first guest from the ceremony arrives there or at 5PM (which ever comes first). We will be serving drinks and hor d'oeuvres until 6, dinner 6:30, dancing from 8-midnight. How much detail needs to go on the reception card for this? We did just send out save the dates that had our wedding website listed. On the website I had a section with the times of dinner, drinks, and dancing. My biggest concern is the banquet hall will have two wedding receptions that night (different floors) and the hall said parking is limited in their lot when there are two events. They have an agreement with the church next door and a health clinic to be able to use their lots for additional parking on saturday nights. Here is what I have so far.

Mr. and Mrs. FatherofBride

and

Mr. and Mrs. FatherofGroom

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of their children

Bridefirst Middle Last

and

Groomfirst Middle Last

On Saturday, the thirteenth of December

Two thousand fourteen

At four o’clock in the afternoon

at

Name Lutheran Church

Street Address

Town, Wisconsin

reception to follow

The favor of your response is requested by

November 24th, 2014

M__________________

___ Will attend

___ Not able to attend

___Number attending

Please join us for drinks, dinner, and dancing

In honor of the new

Mr. and Mrs. Lastname

Immediately following the ceremony

Name of Banquet Hall

Street Address

Town, Wisconsin

Parking is available at Name of Site A, Name of Site B, and Name of Site C

Edited: I can't get rid of the weird formatting after the grooms parent's names. Please ignore it.

Re: Wording of invites and reception card

• People don't need the precise order of the reception. Do you have something going on during the half hour gap between cocktail hour and dinner?  Will the bar be open?  It might get a little awkward if there is nothing going on and no food or drink for half an hour.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014

Mr. and Mrs. FatherofBride

Mr. and Mrs. FatherofGroom

request the honor of your presence

at the marriage of

Bridefirst Middle Last

and

Groomfirst Middle Last

Saturday, the thirteenth of December

two thousand fourteen

four o’clock in the afternoon

Name Lutheran Church

Street Address

Town, Wisconsin

Reception

Five o'clock

Name of Banquet Hall

Street Address

Town, Wisconsin

(Separate enclosure card - business size)

"Parking at the reception is available at site A, site B, and site C.  The Smith/Jones reception will be held on the first floor of the Name Banquet Hall.  For more information, directions, lodging information, please visit our wedding website, http://www.ourwedding.com."

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This is in regard to wording on my last post.  The reception card is a simple card the gives the time and location of the reception.  By 5:00, your guests will be arriving at your venue.  The card should not describe any part of the reception.  It simply gives the location and time.  You do not use "Reception to follow" unless the reception is to be in the same location as the ceremony.  I think your guests do need to know the information about parking and location. so I think you should enclose a small card.  This also gives you the chance to send people to your wedding website.
    The wedding invitation wedding is mostly good, except the "children" do not get married.  Anyone who doesn't realize that these are your parents hosting shouldn't be on your guest list in the first place.  "Honour" is traditionally spelled British fashion, but that is now optional for USA brides.  Older relatives might notice.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @mysticl Sorry for the confusion. The bar will be open all night. The cocktail food will not be replenished after 6 PM.
  • @mysticl Sorry for the confusion. The bar will be open all night. The cocktail food will not be replenished after 6 PM.
    That makes more sense.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CMGragain I was hoping you would reply. :) I tried to read through examples of replies on here first to get an idea. I will definitely take out the word "children." I will also be sure to include a separate card for the parking. I wasn't sure if that would look odd or not. Thank you for your help!
  • Your welcome.  I won't be around for a day or two.  Going in for medical test and consultation.  :-(
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain :( I hope everything goes well for you. I work in a hospital and I definitely would rather work at one than go in as a patient. Sending you positive vibes from Wisconsin!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards