August 2014 Weddings

A tiny piece of advice for outdoor summer brides

Hello ladies!  Congratulations on your upcoming weddings!

I just wanted to pass along one little bit of advice for those of you getting married outside, that I am so happy I stumbled upon for my wedding: stick a little sundress or extra change of light weight comfortable clothes in your bag for the reception (and don't forget the accompanying underwear).  On a whim, I stuck an extra little dress in my bag - more so that I would have a couple of options to change into the next day than anything else.

After 30 minutes of pictures outside before the ceremony, a 30 minute outdoor ceremony, and another 40 minutes of pictures afterwards, I was so hot and sweaty in my dress... it was terrible. I kept going back to the room - which took about 10 minutes to get there and back to - just to go to the bathroom where I could have the air conditioning cranked up so it was 60 degrees in the room.  I ended up taking off every slip and undergarment I had, other than my underpants, and it did no good.  And within about 10 minutes of being back at the reception, I'd be extremely hot and uncomfortable again.  I couldn't dance for more than a few minutes.

A little more than half way through the dancing portion of reception, right after the photographer left, I asked one of my friends to help me get out of my dress, changed into the sundress and went back upstairs.  I NEVER had any intention of taking off my wedding dress and changing into another dress for the reception.  I love my dress and wanted to wear it forever.  But it was, without a doubt, the best decision I made all night.  I was soooooo much more comfortable in my sundress and had a great time dancing and laughing with my friends and family for the rest of my reception. 

It was, without a doubt, one of the smartest things I did all night.  I am so glad I got to enjoy my reception and be comfortable, rather than stand there in a stunning dress and be miserable.  I highly recommend you give yourself the option of doing the same, just in case you want to take it.

Congrats again!  I hope all of your wedding days are as beautiful and amazing as mine was!

Re: A tiny piece of advice for outdoor summer brides

• Great advice! Better to have the option and not take it than to suffer, wishing you could change into something cooler!
  • Thanks for this advice! I'm getting married August 2016 in Maryland - and that means HUMIDITY! Luckily, our venue is in a valley so it will be a little bit cooler, but we still have a chance of a hot & sticky day.

Definitely going to get a more casual (probably white, to feel more bridal !) dress to wear at the reception if I get ungodly hot.

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards