Rhode Island
Options

Newport Bach wknd in Oct

Good morning, RI ladies! I am planning my little sister's bachelorette party. We live in Northern New England and have done Boston, Portsmouth and Portland for other friends and relatives' bachelorette parties, so we have chosen Newport for hers. We are going the weeknd of Oct 17th and have rented a house near/on the beach for the weekend. I am writing to you all looking for suggestions of things to do, restaurants and bars to hit, etc. I also wanted to check in and ask whether Newport would be *totally* dead that time of year? There are going to be about 10 girls and we would be looking for two days worth of activities. I hear there are some wineries nearby? Also have heard that tea at the Viking hotel is cool, as well as the mansion tours. Other thoughts of mine were spa, shopping, beach picnic (if weather permits), restaurants, bars, etc. Any advice from local Knotties on that time of year in Newport and top things to do/places to see would be greatly appreciated! Happy 4th of July week!

Re: Newport Bach wknd in Oct

• Options
    Newport is pretty much never dead on the weekends in my experience, even in the winter.

If you're going to do a mansion tour, I highly reccomend the Servant Life tour at the Elms (book it in advance).  Ideally, do the regular tour first, then the Servant Life one.  The regular tour takes you through the main parts of the house and exposes you to the lifestyle of the family that owned the mansion.  The Servant Life tour takes you "behind the scenes" to see the servant quarters, kitchen, laundry facilities, secret passageways, etc.  It's completely different than any other mansion tour in Newport.  If the weather is good, they also take you up on the roof for an incredible view of the harbor.

The Cliff Walk is always my favorite part of Newport, but I'm not sure it's right for a bachelorette party.  It's a walking trail that runs behind the mansions and along the water.  It's incredibly beautiful and free.  I think it's 6 or 7 miles in it's entirety, but you can easily do just a portion of it.
  • Options
    Sounds like a fun weekend! The beach may be a bit cool, but it would make a nice walk if a picnic wouldn't work. Definitely look up Greenvale Vineyard and Sakonnet Vineyard for wine tastings. I would also spend an afternoon shopping on Thames, then grabbing lunch nearby (many options).
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Best to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards