Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Eloping vs. Intimate Ceremony

My FI and I were planning an intimate ceremony, followed by a larger reception. As we were deciding who to invite, the list grew to nearly 200 people, and we weren't even finished adding names! We want to celebrate with our loved ones, but the mounting expenses for just one day are not appealing. His (valid) concern is that he doesn't want us to start our marriage in debt, or arguing about money. So he suggested eloping (and using the money for a great honeymoon), or having something extremely small (vows and dinner with our nearest and dearest). As this is my 2nd marriage (his 1st) I'm more than okay with either. The issue is, even something small (4 children between us, parents - divorced/remarried, grandparents and CLOSEST friends, we're still close to 40 people. We would naturally foot the bill, but those numbers aren't so small either! The idea of eloping is becoming more appealing; I can live with potential hurt feelings if we leave EVERYONE out...I just don't want to leave out our children, who have been anxiously waiting for us to get married. However, if we elope/honeymoon, we don't want to take the children...how can we find a compromise between the two? Or can we?

Re: Eloping vs. Intimate Ceremony

• Options
    Have you considered eloping at home, like going to the court house with your children (get yourselves all dressed up) and then going out for a nice meal afterwards, and then going on a honeymoon later?

This way you have your children with you and you still get your HM with just the two of you.

If you and your FI are fully on board with eloping then that is what you should do.  Remember that even throwing a lavish wedding you will still not make everyone happy.  You two need to be happy with your choice and if you feel like a big wedding is more for your family and friends then it is for you two, then don't do it.

Will some people be mad that you eloped?  Sure.  But they will just have to get over it because it is not their decision how you and your FI get married.

• Options
    That would actually be a great idea! They can watch us exchange vows and we can still use the money we were going to spend on a big reception for our HM instead! Thank you!!
  • Options
    You're welcome! Hope you have a great wedding day!

• Options
    I agree with Maggie. That was a great idea!

We eloped and did not bring DH's kids, but they are also over 18 and adults. Had they been younger, I don't think it would have felt right for us to marry without them present. When we returned from the wedding/HM (we did a DW) we took them out for a very nice, special dinner.

So, share your special day with them, have a great celebration with them afterwards at your fav restaurant, and then take an amazing HM!!

• Options

Doing it prior to your trip with your kids since they are looking forward to I think is a great idea. Maybe even still consider getting a photographer to take pictures of the ceremony and you with your new husband and your kids. Great time for some family photos. That way you can still share the photos with people & have something to frame & remember your special day.

• Options
    That's the main reason we are getting married in Vermont (within driving distance from us) Our original thought was to run off to puerto rico but we want my daughter at the ceremony. We do not, however, want her on our honeymoon (no matter how much we love her!) So we decide to do a weekender and get married so DD can be there, then honeymoon later just the two of us.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards