Knottie Cancer Fundraising/Help

Re: Knottie Cancer Fundraising/Help

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I like Eff Cancer too :)
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    Here's an idea- since we're all over the place, how about we design a Knottie fuck cancer shirt. We can put it up on Cafe Press or Zazzle and all purchases can be donated to the American Cancer Society. Then, we can all wear the shirts are our local cancer walks. We'll be a national/international team!

Do we have any graphic designers around here?
    I wouldn't donate to the ACS.  They have a bad reputation of supposedly only spending 16% of the money they take in on direct services to cancer patients or research.

Again, I think it would be a better usage of donations to donate directly in some way to one of the top ranked cancer institutes.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I like the tshirt idea and I think eff cancer would work.
  • Options
    kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    CMGragain said:
    SBmini said:
    A lot of our members are fighting very serious diseases right now, or have family members who are. I know we all want to help in any way possible. I'm not sure what is the best way to do this. I've done a local cancer walk before, and I intend to do it again next year in honor for everyone here fighting. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can all help out?
    Yes!  When your doctor tells you that it is time for you to get your mammogram - DO IT!  Don't put it off!  And while I'm lecturing you, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!
    I'm also going to add- WEAR SUNSCREEN AND REAPPLY IT!  Stop fake and baking and stop burning.

I have been working on 3 extensive Melanoma projects for the past three years, and it's been very sad and sobering.

Yes pleaaaase wear your sunscreen. Women in their late 20s and early 30s are the largest growing group of skin cancer diagnoses. Also, just a friendly reminder that you can get skin cancer regardless of your skin color. 

One other option for folks who want to help the fight is to support caregivers. I used to work in a Hope Lodge, essentially a Ronald McDonald for cancer patients and caregivers that is run by the American Cancer Society. Many have volunteers come in and cook a meal for guests or offer libraries for guests to try and distract themselves. So if you aren't able to do a run or donate, or just want to do something more, this is another option. 

Finally, wherever you donate.. Look them up on charity navigator or something to see the administrative overhead. Sadly I do agree that ACS is not always the best choice esp if you want to fund research.

ETF paragraphs.
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    SBmini said:
    Here's an idea- since we're all over the place, how about we design a Knottie fuck cancer shirt. We can put it up on Cafe Press or Zazzle and all purchases can be donated to the American Cancer Society. Then, we can all wear the shirts are our local cancer walks. We'll be a national/international team!

I wouldn't donate to the ACS.  They have a bad reputation of supposedly only spending 16% of the money they take in on direct services to cancer patients or research.

Again, I think it would be a better usage of donations to donate directly in some way to one of the top ranked cancer institutes.
    60% based on Charity Navigator. I think the shirt money should go to a national organization so it can help all members- opposed to being focused on one location or for one type of cancer. I'm open to other suggestions- I just want it to be something that helps everyone. People are free to help/support local organizations in addition to the Knottie shirt donations. 
  • Options
    SBmini said:
    SBmini said:

60% based on Charity Navigator. I think the shirt money should go to a national organization so it can help all members- opposed to being focused on one location or for one type of cancer. I'm open to other suggestions- I just want it to be something that helps everyone. People are free to help/support local organizations in addition to the Knottie shirt donations. 
    Yeah and it is only rated a 2 out of 4 by Charity Navigator.

It's much less according to other sources who have investigated their tax and other financial records.  And it doesn't have a good rep with ppl in the research community.

I would definitely buy a shirt, and I'm sure my coworkers would to, but we won't support or donate to the ACS in any way.

The cancer centers I mentioned are national centers that treat and research all types of cancer, and they are usually working on treating the gravest of diagnoses.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    kla728kla728 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm totally biased because I work for the NIH, but the vast majority of cancer research in this nation is funded by the National Cancer Institute. So we are all supporting research to end cancer when we pay our taxes!
  • Options
    kla728 said:
    CMGragain said:
    SBmini said:
    A lot of our members are fighting very serious diseases right now, or have family members who are. I know we all want to help in any way possible. I'm not sure what is the best way to do this. I've done a local cancer walk before, and I intend to do it again next year in honor for everyone here fighting. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can all help out?
    Yes!  When your doctor tells you that it is time for you to get your mammogram - DO IT!  Don't put it off!  And while I'm lecturing you, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS!
    I'm also going to add- WEAR SUNSCREEN AND REAPPLY IT!  Stop fake and baking and stop burning.

I have been working on 3 extensive Melanoma projects for the past three years, and it's been very sad and sobering.

Yes pleaaaase wear your sunscreen. Women in their late 20s and early 30s are the largest growing group of skin cancer diagnoses. Also, just a friendly reminder that you can get skin cancer regardless of your skin color. 

One other option for folks who want to help the fight is to support caregivers. I used to work in a Hope Lodge, essentially a Ronald McDonald for cancer patients and caregivers that is run by the American Cancer Society. Many have volunteers come in and cook a meal for guests or offer libraries for guests to try and distract themselves. So if you aren't able to do a run or donate, or just want to do something more, this is another option. 

Finally, wherever you donate.. Look them up on charity navigator or something to see the administrative overhead. Sadly I do agree that ACS is not always the best choice esp if you want to fund research.

ETF paragraphs.
    Yep, research is the only way we are going to increase  patients' survivability rates,  increase early detection, create better and more effective treatments, etc.

A focus on prevention is only going to help so much, and it doesn't aid those who already have been diagnosed.

I'm not trying to knock what SBMini wants to do, but I am personally not a fan of the large cancer "no-profit" orgs.

And this discussion just further illustrates why we tell Brides on these boards not to do a "donation in lieu of a favor" for your reception guests.  People have their own preferences.

Can't wait to see the shirt!

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    Which of these orgs would be best then? Again- I want to donate somewhere that will help everyone. I know locally in AZ (where Mrs. Jells is) there are both a Mayo Clinic and MD Anderson:

John's Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Center, MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, etc.
  • Options
    National Cancer Institute is THE research center. That's it.

Otherwise, Mayo has my vote.
  • Options
    National Cancer Institute is THE research center. That's it. Otherwise, Mayo has my vote.
    Yeah NCI is a good idea too.

• Options
    @Beethery, Maybe you can write  F CK CANCER with a wedding ring in the place of the U, hahaha. I would wear that!
    I love this!
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    We can definitely support the NCI! Since it's government, the donation process is a little different- mailing a check vs online, but I don't think that would be that big of an issue!
  • Options
    @Beethery, Maybe you can write  F CK CANCER with a wedding ring in the place of the U, hahaha. I would wear that!
    That is a great idea! It can be an e-ring with a big stone and the two visible prongs can be the "U". So- F \ / CK CANCER!
    Awesome idea!

• Options
    FI and I are both on the bone barrow registry, and she donates blood regularly. I'm not allowed to donate. I don't weigh enough. So I help pass out cookies instead. I'm a very good cookie passer outer.

Also I like that design @beethery.

Oh and if anyone is on Instagram, Mike Dirnt (bass player for Green Day) his wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer, they have some of the coolest fuck cancer pictures. And his wife just has these great "Fuck this bullshit cancer shit" look about her. There's even a pic of her shaving her head and ones of her getting her treatment. I like looking at it. It reminds me how tough we can be. 
  • Options
    beethery said:
    quick throw-together of a ring idea:

I want to love this so many times. I want this shirt!
  • Options
    aaaand these
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    @beethery‌ I love all three of them.
  • Options
    Yay :)

I didn't know what to add for secondary text and it just... needed something, so that's why I threw in the team knottie thing. If anyone has a better idea of what could go there instead I do options with that as well.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options

Once we have t-shirts or a fundraising process figured out we should definitely create a new thread and request that it become a sticky. And maybe, just maybe, if we get enough posts we can show up in the newsletter?

I hate those newsletters but the more donations, the merrier!

This may be an UO, but I don't think this should be stickied. We want to help the Knotties we've grown to know and love, but as a newb or casual newsletter reader I would be incredibly turned off by the pushiness. Don't we always rail against people sharing random GFMs on FB, and pressuring people to donate to people they've never heard of before? I understand the intent but I think WOM is a better way to go.

• Options
    @beethery, you are a rock star.  I think the first is my favorite, but I'm all aboard whatever we decide!
    Anniversary

• Options

Once we have t-shirts or a fundraising process figured out we should definitely create a new thread and request that it become a sticky. And maybe, just maybe, if we get enough posts we can show up in the newsletter?

I hate those newsletters but the more donations, the merrier!

This may be an UO, but I don't think this should be stickied. We want to help the Knotties we've grown to know and love, but as a newb or casual newsletter reader I would be incredibly turned off by the pushiness. Don't we always rail against people sharing random GFMs on FB, and pressuring people to donate to people they've never heard of before? I understand the intent but I think WOM is a better way to go.
    Huh? There's nothing pushy about any of this. No one is asking anyone to donate.

• Options

@beethery, you are a rock star.  I think the first is my favorite, but I'm all aboard whatever we decide!

Agreed! Love them all! :)

• Options
    Yeah I love them all. Maybe we could have a poll to decide which one to use.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards