Chit Chat

Wow... some people

I do public relations for a hotel chain. This morning, I got a call from one of the properties with a bit of a strange request. A D-level TV personally came to the front desk and demanded that he and his family be hosted. He wanted a free room for three nights over 4th of July Weekend! The person at the front desk sharply called me to ask what to do. This guy was going on and on about how famous he is and how he's writing a travel writer and so on and so forth. 

I told the person at the front desk not to give him anything and to have him contact me. So then, a minute later I got a call from the guy's PR person. He's obviously pretty frustrated with his client. The guy was supposed to go somewhere completely different- but then saw my client's property and changed his mind. This poor PR person had this whole trip planned out and this guy just threw a wrench into it! He IS doing a big family travel piece for a big publication- so it's a good opportunity. But I told the PR person that regardless of that- he can't just walk up to the front desk during the busiest weekend of the year and expect a free room, but we'd be happy to give him a discount. 

So now I'm trying to throw together an itinerary for this guy and his family last minute. 

And that is all.

Re: Wow... some people

• That's obnoxious but amusingly ballsy. I'm totally curious as to the semi-celeb!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    ashley8918
  • Ew, what a douchebag! If he's so famous and successful he can pay for that shit himself. I don't get why people give 'celebrities' discounts. Give them to the normal average income folks who still give you their business, that's my opinion!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    chibiyuiMaggie0829themuffinman16
  • Angusaur said:
    Ew, what a douchebag! If he's so famous and successful he can pay for that shit himself. I don't get why people give 'celebrities' discounts. Give them to the normal average income folks who still give you their business, that's my opinion!
    the richer and more famous you are the less you pay when it comes to hospitality.  In return the hotel gets "free" PR.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    lyndausvi said:
    Angusaur said:
    Ew, what a douchebag! If he's so famous and successful he can pay for that shit himself. I don't get why people give 'celebrities' discounts. Give them to the normal average income folks who still give you their business, that's my opinion!
    the richer and more famous you are the less you pay when it comes to hospitality.  In return the hotel gets "free" PR.

Yeah, pretty much. At least this guy is legitimately writing about his travels. But it's all just a ploy for a free vacation. And we bend over backwards because it is good publicity. If he wasn't writing about it- I wouldn't give him anything.
  • Just...wow.  His poor PR person!  He sounds like a handful to manage!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I remember seeing an interview with a celebrity and she talked about the free stuff she got for attending awards shows, endorsing products, etc. and she was like I'm rich I don't need all this free stuff, where was it when I was poor?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    themuffinman16
  • This is a big part of what I do for a living. Resorts and such come to me and ask me to visit their locations and set up an itinerary for me and my family (or just me and my husband or whatever) and it's all complimentary. HOWEVER that being said, it's rarely all fun and games. While my family is playing in the pool or skiing or what not, I'm usually interviewing the chef or managers or something like that. Taking pictures of the kitchen, kids place.... I do thorough reviews, not just a quick magazine article. I usually write 3-4 2,000 word reviews and usually give away the same vacation to my readers.  I turn down as many as 20 trips a year because I simply can't travel all the time.

And yes, it's all about the publicity. These locations know that if they own space on my blog they will have stronger SEO and get better eye traffic. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    d2va
  • For some bizzare reason I thought this "celeb" was The Situation. Until you mentioned the part about him writing about his travels. That's so shitty, I hate when people feel so entitled.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• This is a big part of what I do for a living. Resorts and such come to me and ask me to visit their locations and set up an itinerary for me and my family (or just me and my husband or whatever) and it's all complimentary. HOWEVER that being said, it's rarely all fun and games. While my family is playing in the pool or skiing or what not, I'm usually interviewing the chef or managers or something like that. Taking pictures of the kitchen, kids place.... I do thorough reviews, not just a quick magazine article. I usually write 3-4 2,000 word reviews and usually give away the same vacation to my readers.  I turn down as many as 20 trips a year because I simply can't travel all the time.

And yes, it's all about the publicity. These locations know that if they own space on my blog they will have stronger SEO and get better eye traffic. 

*** STUCK IN THE STUPID BOX  ****

Yeah, but do you show up on a holiday weekend yelling at the FD demanding a free room?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh lord no and I'm nowhere near important enough to even begin to approach a stunt like that. This guy is a total douche. I was just pointing out that while I do this for a living it isn't really a ploy to get a free vacation. I work during the entire trip and then go home and work a lot more. I yearn for a vacation where I'm not working but we can never afford one. I would love to relax...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TV, movies? Narrow it down some for us!
  • CMGragain said:
    Can I put in a plug for Doubletree  in Salt Lake City?  We were there with no reservations, waiting for my medical procedures.  They gave us a special rate, complimentary breakfast, and shuttle transport to a romantic restaurant!  It really helped our anxiety to be treated so beautifully!  Hotels like this one deserve good PR.  They really helped us.
    Our DD built a house just outside SLC last  year.  I will remember this when we go see her!
    d2va
  • SBminiSBmini member
    Update- so the guy wanted a 2pm check out today. Front desk told him he could only have a 12 pm check out otherwise he'd have to pay a half day rate. Well... he wouldn't have any of that. He yelled at three different people including the front desk staff who had no idea what was going on, in front of an entire lobby full of people. And now he's going to give us a bad review for lying to him.

Uh yeah. I'm now waiting for his PR person to call me back so I can tell him how absolutely acceptable this is. 
    JennyColada
  • wow. I hate people who yell at line staff who are just following company procedures. Just ask for a manager who can make those decisions. I have to ask, isn't his info in the profile or did they not even get that far (I know some people ask for late checkout and the standard answer is "x" before the staff even knows who they are talking to)? Whenever we had VIPs like that one look at the profile would prompt you to have the manager handle the request. Unless you were sold out, it's worth the extra 2 hours, but that is a supervisor/manager decision, not a line employee.

• SBminiSBmini member
    The manager denied the request. A lower employee approved it, then had to rescind, which was a mistake on the part of staff. But he never should have tried calling back and seeing if he could get the free time after being told no by the manager. They probably are sold out today, they sold out this weekend and I know are at 80-90% capacity all month. That's probably why they wouldn't give him the extra 2 hours. PR person has apologized and is handling his loose cannon client.
  • Ah, it was the rescind that light the fire.       I would for me too.  But I would never yell at staff members like that.      It goes back to the line staff should always consult a manager when it comes these type of guests.   Dealing with VIPs always seems to come around and bite you in the ass.  

Besides,  2pm check is pretty late when you are running 80-90% for a line employee to agree to on their own.    I'm sure he was in a room category that is actually sold out.

Hopefully the review will be okay.

• What a dickwad. 
  • That can be tame. An A-list musician stayed at hotel I worked out. They require the maint guys install a new toilet seat in their presences. Then required the seat removed and give to them when they left. A 70's TV stars required you hand squeeze her OJ in front of her in her room. Another actor required a new shaker for each protein shake they drank. Which was a few times a day. DH brought out GMC in NOLA of shakers because he was staying with us for 4 weeks. I'm happy to say a lot of celebs were normal and drama free. In some cases the A-listers were a little better then the B-D celebs. I guess it was the only way the B-C celebs can feel important.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards