Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake Servers

Trying to decide between 2 type of cake serving sets- one is the traditional knife and server separate, the other is an "all in one server". It has the server with a serrated edge so you can cut and server with the same utensil.  Anyone had any experience with the all in one cake server. It is cheaper since it is only 1 item, however I am thinking it might be harder to cut with and you can't use the knife to help scrape the cake off the server once you get it to the plate. Any advice would be apprecaited! 

Re: Cake Servers

• I didn't use one of those for my wedding, but I have used them. You are right that you still need something else to push the cake off of the server so you would need a fork or something else unless you planned on using your fingers to do that. While it's a nice idea, it isn't really functional enough to take the place of two pieces.

Unless you are steady enough to pick the cake up with the server and move it to the plate and turn it sideways to plop it down on the plate. I would drop it somewhere without something else to hold the cake with, but not everyone is as clumsy as I am.
  • Make your decision simple, order the one that matches your silverware set!!! That way you'll use it many years into your marriage. I know with Oneida you can get these pretty easily or through Replacements Ltd. I know through replacements you can get both styles typically (we purchased our Godchild's wedding server set through there - even though it'll be YEARS until her wedding we wanted to have it match her silverware set we're giving her) IMO, having used both styles, it's really personal preference. Go with the one YOU like better and could see yourself using 30 years from now! That way it's not wasted $$ for a photo op.
  • I used a knife that the venue had and then used my fingers to pull the slice out and plop it on the plate.

I find serving sets to be a waste of money, IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards