Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Alcohol at reception

we don't  drink, so we are thinking of having it at cocktail hour only and after dinner or should we serve it through out the night?

Re: Alcohol at reception

• Options
    we don't  drink, so we are thinking of having it at cocktail hour only and after dinner or should we serve it through out the night?
    that's up to you, but whatever option you do host it properly.

You know your crowd best but there's a lot of options besides serving full alcohol all night.  You could do wine and beer, wine and beer with a signature drink etc.
  • Options
    You should really be consistent one way or the other. I would be confused if I went to the bar and got a drink and then didn't know I couldn't get another one and went back after the time limit. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I agree w/ Addie....you need to be consistent with whatever you serve.  Either serve it all night or don't have it at all.  OR, you can just serve wine and beer if you're looking to save money.  Whatever it is, make sure it's served the entire night.  And no cash bars, of course.
  • Options
    Serve the same thing all night.  Don't confuse the guests by cutting them off at some arbitrary time.  

You don't have to serve alcohol at all, but if you decide to serve it, keep it consistent.  
  • Options
    If you're going to have it at all, which is not required, then be consistent. Serve whatever you are going to serve the whole time, but don't try to save yourself money by limiting its availability to specific times. This will confuse and/or annoy your guests and be side-eyed.
  • Options
    If you're not drinkers, how about just hosting beer and wine all night?

I wouldn't cut it off after cocktail hour. Not unless you want half your guests fighting to get that last drink before they'll sit down for dinner. I've been to a wedding like that; the bride and groom had to wait on their entrance because nearly everyone went to the bar to get two drinks (one for then, one to conserve for later).

• Options
    If you are going to have alcohol then you need to serve it all night.  Like Addie said, if I went to the bar during cocktail hour for a glass of wine and then went back up during dinner for another glass and they said "oh sorry no more alcohol" I would be really confused.

• Options
    we will serve beer and wine and offer a daiquri bar all night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards