Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Experience?

What was your bridal shower like? My sister/MOH is throwing me a bridal shower. We're taking everyone out to brunch at a nice restaurant. I am looking forward to seeing my friends and family, but I have this awkward feeling about going to a party that is being had under the premise of giving me gifts. I feel kind of selfish and princess-y. Also, only one of my 5 bridesmaids can make it (everyone is from out of town)...they are the people I'm most at ease and comfortable with, so I'm bummed they can't make it. There will probably be about 8 women total now, including my sister, my mom, and myself.

Re: Bridal Shower Experience?

• Since you are going to brunch, it will probably feel less awkward since people will be eating most of the time.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sit back and enjoy.  This gives the ladies an extra opportunity to be part of your big day and to help "dress your nest".  I, for one, enjoy these showers, and love to bring the bride something from her registry.  Your turn to give will come, and you will enjoy that as well.
  • I had a small shower.  I think only 15 people came and it was held during lunch.  The main focus was eating and chatting with only about 30 minutes focused on me opening presents.  

I did feel awkward when I was opening gifts because I have always felt awkward opening gifts in front of people...always afraid I wouldn't show the right enthusiasm and also because I had 3 Lindas and 3 Jessicas attending and no one put their last name on the card so when I went to say thank you to the person who gave it to me I wasn't sure which to look at.

• Yeah, it was a little awkward. My bridal shower was at a restaurant during mid-day; so there was enough time to eat and then open the gifts. People were taking photos like mad - and most of them were not attractive (it was hot up there, I didn't know about the bridal shower so I made the mistake of wearing my hair down - I looked like a crazy sweaty mess!). At the end of the day, though, it was really fun to get to see so many people, and it was really touching that they made time to come see me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards