Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Shower invites for inlaws we don't know

Hi all! I'm having a dilemma. My FH's father has 5 brothers...they're all married and they're all invited to the wedding with their wives. My FH doesn't speak to any of them because his dad doesn't speak to them (no idea of the reason, it's just how they are)...FH hasn't seen them or spoken to them since he was a kid, but they're invited b/c they're family. He doesn't know any of their wives (his aunts) either... honestly if we ran into them on the street he'd have no idea who they are. Are all 5 of those ladies supposed to be invited to my bridal shower? Part of me feels like it's the right thing to do, but the other part of me feels awkward like, if they get an invite for a shower for me and they're gonna look at it like who the heck is this girl?! It's not like my FH's name is going to be on it so it could clue them in as to whose shower it is. Anyone else ever go through something like this? I don't want anyone to feel left out but I also don't want anyone to feel obligated to come to a shower for their nephew's future wife, considering they barely know their nephew.

Re: Shower invites for inlaws we don't know

• Options
    You do not have to invite women to your shower that you do not know.  Showers are meant for your nearest and dearest family and friends, not for every woman on your entire wedding guest list.

• Options
    While I agree with Maggie0829, you might hear about it later. I am having about 14 people at my bridal shower and that's including FMIL, FSIL, FMIL's Best friends who FI calls second mom, and second mom's four daughters. I thought that was a stretch as I would not consider my self particularly close to them. Then I got asked why I didn't invite FI family..... Really?

There will always be someone who thinks that every woman should be invited.
  • Options
    Who is hosting your shower? If you don't know them, the host doesn't know them, and nobody speaks to them, they shouldn't be invited. It will come off as incredibly gift-grabby. 

There are some people in FI's family that I don't know very well (like out-of-state aunts, and a cousin's GF), but FMIL is inviting them because she's close with them and wants to include them. That's her call because she is hosting. But my cousin's wife whom I've never met? Not getting invited.

• Options
    My mom, my sister (who is my MOH) and my bridal party are hosting the shower and none of them know who these ladies are. I felt the same exact way -- that it would come off as gift-grabby just inviting these ladies out of the blue to a shower for someone they don't even know. Thanks for the input!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards