Chit Chat

Free Cookies on 7/12!

...at your local Red Cross! Just have to donate blood first. :)

My appointment is made for 10am. Join me, won't you?

photokittyblabla89

Re: Free Cookies on 7/12!

• Sadly, I am ineligible to donate blood. The only time I met the physical requirements, I had the pesky issue of having traveled to "bad" places.
    ~*~*~*~*~

[Deleted User]
  • Sadly, I am ineligible to donate blood. The only time I met the physical requirements, I had the pesky issue of having traveled to "bad" places.
    Well, free pass if you're physically ineligible. No shaming intended here.

They ALMOST turned me away when I had traveled to Brazil, but since I had only gone to Rio and Sao Paulo and not the rainforest, it was ok. The lady squealed like a kid on Christmas morning when she saw those were on the safe list; it was pretty adorable how excited she was. I was glad she double-checked.

• Do they not give cookies out normally? I've always gotten cookies. Cookies and orange juice. Which is a disgusting and strange combination.
    Yeah, they always do. I just mean we should go do it NOW since we were all just talking about donating blood, and my particular appointment is 7/12. Like our own little TK blood drive.

Oreos and OJ is disgusting. I always get apple juice.

JCbride2015
  • I can't donate because I've travelled to "bad places" too.
  • Can someone remind me again on the rules of donating when you've gotten a tattoo? I know it doesn't bar you forever from donating, but I can't remember if there is a certain time frame I need to wait before donating again. I've done it a couple of times and would love to again, but I just got another tattoo about 3 months ago.
  • edited July 2014
    Can someone remind me again on the rules of donating when you've gotten a tattoo? I know it doesn't bar you forever from donating, but I can't remember if there is a certain time frame I need to wait before donating again. I've done it a couple of times and would love to again, but I just got another tattoo about 3 months ago.
    @cupcait927 Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis. Learn more about hepatitis and blood donation.

Acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needles and ink that is not reused. Cosmetic tattoos applied in a licensed establishment in a regulated state using sterile needles and ink that is not reused is acceptable. There are 40 states that currently regulate tattoo facilities. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.

@jdluvr06 how long ago did you travel? You're only deferred for 3 years.

cupcait927
  • I wish I could but I'm severely anemic and they won't ever take my blood. I have tried about 5 times and they keep saying no (even with iron supplements). But I have oranized many blood drives and volunteered, does that count? 

theartistformerlyknownaslc07
  • I'm down.  Just signed up for 7/14!  Nothing available on 7/12 in NYC, strangely enough.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

theartistformerlyknownas
  • @lolo883 ‌ a couple years ago I spent four months in the UK. Apparently there is a fear of mad cow disease. It is really rather funny, out of all the places I've been too, England is the reason I can't donate. Lol
  • I can't donate due to being under the weight limit and having tainted blood. I can't say that I'm unhappy though, I was never yearning to donate.
  • The NY Blood Center has been calling me nonstop to donate. And I do donate very often. Whenever I can. The last time I donated was in April. 

Anyway, I'm having one of my tattoos redone tomorrow. I feel like they've told me you need to wait 3 months. 
    cupcait927
  • @jdluvr06 did someone at the Red Cross actually defer you, or did you hear it from someone else? The official rules say you're only ineligible if you spent longer than 3 months in the UK between 1980-1996, or had a blood transfusion in the UK anytime after 1980. If you went to the UK for any length of time after 1996 and did not get a blood transfusion there, you're safe.

• @jdluvr06 did someone at the Red Cross actually defer you, or did you hear it from someone else? The official rules say you're only ineligible if you spent longer than 3 months in the UK between 1980-1996, or had a blood transfusion in the UK anytime after 1980. If you went to the UK for any length of time after 1996 and did not get a blood transfusion there, you're safe.

I was deferred by someone at Red Cross.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    @jdluvr06 did someone at the Red Cross actually defer you, or did you hear it from someone else? The official rules say you're only ineligible if you spent longer than 3 months in the UK between 1980-1996, or had a blood transfusion in the UK anytime after 1980. If you went to the UK for any length of time after 1996 and did not get a blood transfusion there, you're safe.

I think it's worth trying again, if you're interested... maybe they modified the rules since then to only be pre-1996.

• jdluvr06 said:
    @jdluvr06 did someone at the Red Cross actually defer you, or did you hear it from someone else? The official rules say you're only ineligible if you spent longer than 3 months in the UK between 1980-1996, or had a blood transfusion in the UK anytime after 1980. If you went to the UK for any length of time after 1996 and did not get a blood transfusion there, you're safe.

I think it's worth trying again, if you're interested... maybe they modified the rules since then to only be pre-1996.

That could be. It has been over a year since I tried. I think I'll call and see what they say. I would like to donate some blood. Especially before I go on my honeymoon because that will add three years to the "no-no" list.
    theartistformerlyknownas
  • I is too small. You've got to be 110 to donate..or is it 105? Either way I'm 95lbs so they won't take me blood!!!

But I do often volunteer to help pass out cookies! I'm so freaking good at passing out cookies. 
  • MagicInk said:
    I is too small. You've got to be 110 to donate..or is it 105? Either way I'm 95lbs so they won't take me blood!!!

But I do often volunteer to help pass out cookies! I'm so freaking good at passing out cookies. 
    H just donated last week, and he said they just upped the weight to 120, which I have zero hope of ever hitting. He donates plasma, which the freaking love, so he gets calls constantly.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• MagicInk said:
    I is too small. You've got to be 110 to donate..or is it 105? Either way I'm 95lbs so they won't take me blood!!!

H just donated last week, and he said they just upped the weight to 120, which I have zero hope of ever hitting. He donates plasma, which the freaking love, so he gets calls constantly.
    Damn that knocks FI out too! She's 115, though I think I saw on their site they have a higher weight for plasma then for just regular blood...
  • MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

Damn that knocks FI out too! She's 115, though I think I saw on their site they have a higher weight for plasma then for just regular blood...
    I just looked it up on their website and it still says 110, so not sure where H got the 120 from. Either way, I haven't cracked 3 digits in nearly 20 years, so I'm likely never going to be eligible.

I also see on their charts that, if I were under 18 and wanted to donate, I'd have to weigh almost 150 at my height. Wow.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Twice a year, the Red Cross comes to my office building so we can give blood. I always sign up for it since I like helping people and I like laying down and eating cookies at work. Win/win for me.

I am also on a bone marrow list. I signed up when they had a drive to help someone locally. I just got a letter stating that I was recently transfered to the national bone marrow list.

VulgarGirltheartistformerlyknownas
  • jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2014
    MagicInk said:

If that is true then there is no way I'm eligible. I barely make the cut of 110. ETA: if their website still says 110 then that is probably the case. I'm going to call when my phone finishes charging. I'll ask then.
  • MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

Don't worry, I'm probably making up for you lightweights.  I donate pretty frequently.  I am almost 150 though and I get really tired after I give blood, so I can see that they would raise the minimum size.  The smaller you are, the more a pint is going to feel like a lot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

theartistformerlyknownas
  • arrippa said:

Twice a year, the Red Cross comes to my office building so we can give blood. I always sign up for it since I like helping people and I like laying down and eating cookies at work. Win/win for me.

I am also on a bone marrow list. I signed up when they had a drive to help someone locally. I just got a letter stating that I was recently transfered to the national bone marrow list.

Mine did too! Free snacks AND I get out of doing actual work for an hour with the added bonus of saving lives?! Sign me up!

I've been bad about it though and haven't donated since I left that job last year... >.> Time to catch up!

• MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

I just looked it up on their website and it still says 110, so not sure where H got the 120 from. Either way, I haven't cracked 3 digits in nearly 20 years, so I'm likely never going to be eligible.

I also see on their charts that, if I were under 18 and wanted to donate, I'd have to weigh almost 150 at my height. Wow.
    Well that's a little high.
  • ...at your local Red Cross! Just have to donate blood first. :)

My appointment is made for 10am. Join me, won't you?

I wish. I was born in Tehran.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    I have anemia, too, and am ineligible because of it.

But you know what's total fucking bullshit? Men who've had sex with men and their lifetime ban from giving blood.

ETA: One of 745 reasons I hate the FDA.
  • lc07lc07 member
    lc07 said:
    I have anemia, too, and am ineligible because of it.

But you know what's total fucking bullshit? Men who've had sex with men and their lifetime ban from giving blood.

ETA: One of 745 reasons I hate the FDA.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/call-hhs-fda-end-their-ban-against-gay-bisexual-male-blood-donors/7mcCpPxl

BOX --------------

Thank you for being more constructive than I was in my rant! 
  • lc07lc07 member
    I didn't know about this petition, @JennyColada . They have a shockingly low number of signatures.
  • @Ic07, partly that's probably because if you Google "petition gay blood donation" you get a dozen hits. Some have hundreds of signatures, some thousands. If it were all compiled there'd be better results.

But it is frustrating how little publicity this is getting, which other things (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad) are becoming viral.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards