Attire & Accessories Forum

Ivory & White Dilemma

I bought a lace wedding dress that is ivory lace with a champagne color underneath. Last night while talking to my finace he informed me that he really wants to wear white. Not ivory, but white. Has anyone seen an ivory dress with a white tuxedo before? Does it / can it ever work well? Thank you.

Re: Ivory & White Dilemma

• Just say no to white tuxes.  Ugh they are bad, like really bad.  If it was just a white shirt vs ivory shirt issue, then a white shirt would be fine and no one would notice the difference.  But an ivory/champagne dress vs white tux (just.say.no) would be very noticeable and would make your dress look dingy.

The only time a guy looks amazing in all white is if he is in the Navy and wearing his dress uniform.

• Thanks for the input. I would really rather him wear an ivory tux with mint green vest and tie (bridesmaid color) and have the rest of the groomsmen wear black tuxedos with ivory shirt and mint vest and tie. I want my finace to stand out from the other men in the bridal party. We has both been set on him wearing a white tuxedo but it totally slipped my mind when I tried on my dress and my bridesmaids said the ivory and champagne set off my eyes. Now I'm not sure what to do. I thought about maybe having him wear white tux with ivory vest and tie? I don't know. :-/ I'm trying to make him happy, after all it is his day too. 
  • edited July 2014
    Sorry, IMO ivory is no better than white. I think they're all hideous. What about him wearing a black tux with a champagne vest and tie, while the GM wear mint vests and ties?

ETA Alternatively, I think a beige 3-piece suit would look great.

• Sorry, IMO ivory is no better than white. I think they're all hideous. What about him wearing a black tux with a champagne vest and tie, while the GM wear mint vests and ties?
    This.  An ivory tux is no better then a white tux.  A tux should be black.  Period.

A white tux reminds me of the "cool guys" in high school going to their senior prom and thinking they look like hot shit when really they look like idiots.

• I'm sorry, unless your FI is a younger Sean Connery or Roger Moore, white or ivory tuxes are not going to look good. 

A black tux, with a white shirt, will look much better and classic. 

If your FI insists on doing the white tux, for the love of everything, do the white jacket and black pants. It is so much less douchetastic then the all white.

Anniversary
  • Definitely no to the white tux. And definitely no to an ivory tux. Somewhere, Tim Gunn is crying. A tuxedo should be black.

I had ivory lace dress with a cafe underlay. Even less white than yours. My H wore a black tux with a white shirt. He looked classic and I'll bet my next paycheck we'll never regret his attire choice (as so, so many do years later). Our pictures look completely normal. If he had worn an ivory shirt or something, I almost think it would have looked dirty/yellowed.

Also, he doesn't need to wear a tux at all unless you're having a super fancy wedding. He can wear a suit. I really liked @lolo883's suggestion of a tan suit. That's a great compromise if he's against wearing black.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards