Nevada-Las Vegas

What to wear?

Everyone is asking us what should they wear to te wedding. I keep yelling then I don't care and they seem annoyed by my vague answer. I really don't care what they wear. Is anyone else getting this?

Re: What to wear?

• That's strange! I feel like people should know what to wear to a wedding but i guess vegas ight be confusing the issue. I don't care as long as there's no shorts or hoochie mamas!
  • I still want people to look fancy so we are putting formal attire on our invites. My sister had people show up to her wedding in jeans and I am NOT having that happen!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a13049a13049 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I really don't care, hoochie shorts, jeans or your "birthday suit". It has never bothered my to worry about how someone else dresses. I'm going to look amazing and so will fi! That's all that mattrs. Plus, unless it's truely a black tie affair, which should be a hell no I'm vegas". Than dictating how an adult should dress is rude, IMO and according to traditional ettiquette.
  • people have asked the same question and i've told them the same I don't care!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, people keep asking me and when I say, "Whatever you're comfortable in. Anything goes in Vegas!" they go, "Yeah, yeah. Really.  What should we wear?"  Grrrrrrr.

We just finished our wedding website and I made a FAQ section.  This is what I put under the question of "What should I wear?"
    A: "Well, somebody told us that we should probably put on fancy clothes and caper around for your amusement, but YOU are perfectly welcome to wear whatever you'd like. Tuxedo? Highland Kilt? How about a tutu or a large chicken costume? Hey, knock yourself out. Have fun and be comfortable. Do you really think we'll be looking at YOU on OUR wedding day?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @dbacksgirl‌ - love it to death.... That's so true!
    Now your going to have to share your site cuz I'm dying to see- sounds amazing :-)
  • @a13049‌ - completely agree with you on this one
  • When people are attending a special event and are going to be around lots of people, some of whom they do not know, it is only natural to want to make sure they are dressed appropriately and feel like they fit in and avoid standing out for any reason. I think it's great that you are so open to whatever for your wedding, but if some of your guests are really concerned about it, just tell them the dress code is "informal". Most people know what that means, and if they don't, then they can look it up. It's not nice to leave them hanging and make them feel uncomfortable. It is not unusual for wedding guests to inquire about the formality of the event. 
  • We're going with informal as well but I'm in the same boat. It's Vegas baby! I'm pushing my Mom to be a bit more daring since we are going there to party and celebrate!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • a13049a13049 member
    myriah505 said:
    When people are attending a special event and are going to be around lots of people, some of whom they do not know, it is only natural to want to make sure they are dressed appropriately and feel like they fit in and avoid standing out for any reason. I think it's great that you are so open to whatever for your wedding, but if some of your guests are really concerned about it, just tell them the dress code is "informal". Most people know what that means, and if they don't, then they can look it up. It's not nice to leave them hanging and make them feel uncomfortable. It is not unusual for wedding guests to inquire about the formality of the event. 
    Yes, it natural to for us to dress to fit in. But it is rude to dictate ante of dress code. The formality of the event is usually set and expressed by the invitations and venue chosen. A good chunk of my guests will dress in suits and dresses, not because I have dictated it to be so through a dress code. I told them to wear something comfortable, we will be doing xyz and there will be opportunities to change. Also, some night clubs have a dress code, so if you want to go after with us, then this is their dress code. I think that's enough information, not rude and not dictating a dress code formal/informal of any type.
  • My venue has a strict, no jeans, shorts or flip flops rule. I let people know this, I also informed them it will be outside and on a lawn, so dress accordingly. People were good about about figuring it out from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's actually not rude to dictate a dress code when specifically asked for direction. Quite the opposite. It is rude to deny any sort of direction when specifically asked, as you say your guests are doing.
  • I was asked that question lots of times but it didn't matter to me, some guests came formal while others came more casual :) plus when it's so hot you want your guests to be comfortable especially if your ceremony is outside like mine was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • a13049a13049 member
    It's not my job to dress a grown adult. Again, the formality of the venue and invitations are generally what wet the tone for the formality of the event. It is never rude to not tell someone how to dress themselves. I have given them some direction, to go along with the invite and venue by yelling them what our events are, to wear something they are comfortable with and that we will be going to a nightclub and if they want to join us, they will need to be dresses within their dress code. Plenty of direction on my part.
  • Then your original message was misleading. You did not say you gave them any direction. You said you simply told them you didn't care. You are changing your story now. What you have recently described is perfectly reasonable :)
  • a13049a13049 member
    I did tell them, I don't care. The other information is included in the invitation and enclosures along with our website. I later, after op, reiterated the same information again as questions continued.
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2014
    Adults should be able to dress themselves. Period. I can almost guarantee we will have a number of guests show up in jeans. Great. Good for them. Same goes for the people who show up in suits and gowns. More power to them. Im not having a black tie event, so it's up to my guests to wear what they deem appropriate. My venue doesn't have a dress code. So I'm with @a13049‌ - I seriously do not care, and will say as much if asked. Wear what you want, be comfortable, I'm happy you're coming! Eta spelling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOL I have no idea why you all are getting so butt hurt about your guests wanting to be sure and dress appropriately. No body is asking you to dress them, and I'm sure your loved ones would be appalled to learn that their simple inquiry as to the dress code for your event is making you think so little of them and that you are so offended by it. I personally have much more respect and care for my guests. 
  • a13049a13049 member
    myriah505 said:

LOL I have no idea why you all are getting so butt hurt about your guests wanting to be sure and dress appropriately. No body is asking you to dress them, and I'm sure your loved ones would be appalled to learn that their simple inquiry as to the dress code for your event is making you think so little of them and that you are so offended by it. I personally have much more respect and care for my guests. 

The op was more out of surprise and curiosity. My replies were to you saying me not dictating a dress code was rude. Which is more the opposite. Don't assume that I can't treat my guests respect, which couldn't be farther from the truth
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards